A Helicopter for the Price of a Gyrocopter

Rotor Rooter

Dave Jackson
The linked web page Simple Electric Ultralight Helicopter outlines a low cost helicopter. It is basically a gyrocopter without the engine and propeller, but, with a large electric pre-rotor and a pilot controlled collective blade pitch.

This rotorcraft may make for an interesting R & D experimental project today, plus become more and more practical as the advances of electric vehicles continues.

A serious discussion on the functional probability of this rotorcraft will be appreciated.

Dave

I like the part with the 1200ft extension cord, :der: I don't think you could make FAR103 with todays current battery technology, too heavy.:noidea:

I don't think you could make FAR103 with todays current battery technology, too heavy.
Maybe the battery would not be included in the FAR103 empty weight. Five gallons of battery.
Wink.gif

Agreed. A long flight time using today's battery and fuel cell technology would be very heavy and expensive; but tomorrow's
ThumbsUp.gif

Dave

easy

easy

We won't mount the batteries in the aircraft. There will be a huge stack of them in the battery 'follow van'. connected to the gyro with a long extention cord (tether). Get to work on this. And don't we wish solar arrays were more efficient?:hippie:

Quadrirotor,

Thanks for the link.

Interestingly, a link to Hughey Electricopter Corporation had been posted to you on the thread [Very light homebuilt helicopter, post #10].

Last week the following e-mail was received;
"Dave,
I’m flattered that you actually put a message with a link to our “placeholder” web page on RotaryForum.com.

Frankly, we’re still in stealth mode, but “the cat will be out of the bag” so-to-speak when our first U.S. Patent Application is published by the USPTO in November.

As the name would suggest, the full-size (part 103) flying proof-of-concept prototype is all electric, fly-by-wire, and nothing like anyone has ever seen before.

We won’t be ready for a public demonstration until next spring, as we’re still doing IGE control trimming and the Chicago weather is not kind in the winter.

Since multiple rotors is your thing, I think you’ll want to kick yourself when you see it.
Smile.gif
The miracle is how cheaply we can crank these out (although the production prototype is a year away).

Let the revolution begin!

Regards,

Brad Hughey
Founder & CEO
Hughey Electricopter Corporation"
An all-electric VTOL craft for $10,000 dollars sounds intriguing.

No specific details have been given and the patent that protects Mr. Hughey's idea has been filed. Therefore, the above general parameters represent an interesting technical challenge.

This thread is an attempt to develop a craft that can comply with these parameters. At this point, it is looking like it can be done.

I have assumed, correctly or incorrectly, that others on this forum who are technical disposed would enjoy working toward the possibility of a low cost and reliable recreational helicopter.

Dave

Last edited:
Electric Flight

Electric Flight

Hello All,

International IP laws being what they are, I am limited as to what I can say before the US application is officially published. I did not really intend for this to become a "coming out" venue. Nor do I imagine the moderator would tolerate much self-promotion, even if I were so inclined.

Jokes about extension cords aside, there is no getting around the energy density of fossil fuel. Our E-copter POC prototype is all electric; the production unit will be a hybrid - precisely for extended flight time considerations.

That said, the capability of lithium polymer technology might surprise you. It is, however, around 5X as expensive per watt/hour capacity as nickel metal hydride, albeit at one-third the weight. Rest assured that automotive companies are pouring billions into figuring this all out for us going forward.

I have reason to believe that the next few years will include some exciting developments in personal aviation. I am personally committed to producing "The Helicopter For The Rest of Us", although Steven Jobs might take exception to that metaphor.

Regards,

Brad

quadrirotor,

Was your link to Kestrel Aerospace a premonition?
See their web page. :)

Down the toilet?
Cry.gif
~ The aerodynamic inefficiencies of a propeller mounted on a rotating blade, combined with the intrinsic inefficiency of the rotating blade may make my idea unattractive.

Dave

Dave, i saw their web site. I know i am gifted! but i don't think i have the gift of premonition :(...What i think, and tell, is only the results of my knowledge and wiseness!!! :)) i am also very humble!!! :0 :)

Every time i think i have a good idea, i look for the wheel of misfortune!!! :(

http://www.vstol.org/

Every time i think i have a good idea, i look for the wheel of misfortune!!!

Every time I think I have a good idea, I invariably find fault.
However, after sufficient regurgitation, the occasional (very occasional) one works its way through.

After a couple of noted modification to the location and diameter of the propellers, this idea MIGHT be looking a little more attractive.
Smile.gif

The ability of an end-user to make the frame for a Ultralight gyrocopter from plans, and then basically bolt on a pair of purchased blade assemblies (blade c/w motor, controller and propeller) should be an attractive one; assuming that the blade assembly was reliable and economical.

Last edited:
Here is another idea to provoke thought.

It is simply the single blade concept used on a pair of blades.
Its disadvantage is the need to counter the rotor's torque.

Dave

Perhaps it's time to get back to more practical things, such as contemplating whether a NF or a NC nut should be used on a NC bolt.

Closed.gif

Last edited:
No real need for two blades. Bolkow built this single bladed heli that flew fine.

If a piston engine or electric motor driving a prop replaced the balance weight there would be no need for a tail rotor.

Can't remember who it was, but someone suggested a small electric motor attached to the main shaft would provide yaw control by applying drag or drive to the shaft.

The lower pic is a flight simulator as they only built single seaters to start with.

Attachments

• Bo.JPG
    Bo.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 0
Karl, this could be simpler:

Attachments

• propcopsmall2.jpg
    propcopsmall2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 2
But may be the best concept:

Attachments

• 3d5f.jpg
    3d5f.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 2
Hi Quad,

Yep that is just what I was thinking.
I have pretty much discounted piston engines up there as the centrifugal loads would cause havoc with piston, bearings etc not to mention carburation.
One thought was to put electric motors up on a flybar but set in line so a thrust bearing rather than a roller bearing takes the weight of the motor then drive the props thro a right angle gearbox.

I have thought of putting small turbines in the blades and have a friend who builds them comercially for the french military. I am trying to get him to build me two to mount on rotor blades. I would mount them inline as you show in the pic for the same reasons as above, but would probably fit them at the tip end so the blade only has to be strong enough to take the centrifugal load rather than carry a duct and protection from the heat. I think ducting the jetefflux over any distance there would be considerable losses.

Props would be better for noise and can probably be bought off the shelf.
Jets would be pretty noisy.
I have an electric motor here that is about the size of a car alternator and has been fitted in a BMW. It moved the car at 40 mph. If anything it is lighter than some of the small lawnmower type piston engines and I bet one of those lawnmower things wouldn't move a BMW.
Can't wait to try it but as usual always more important things to spend cash on. LOL

that last image doesnt take much account for the 90 degree gearboxes required, or the bearings to support the shafts. Gas motors up there has to be one of the craziest solutions fraught with potential for inflight failure.

Electric power transfer is about the only reliable answer, but then you have to contend with a significantly heavier rotor system, the aerodynamic losses and the safety that departs from its inclusion. After that, I couldnt get a spec APU that had enough output to supply the motors.

Despit being unsure about the induced drag environment for rotors so equiped, Im pretty sure it can be done, but the safety concerns me so much that I stopped publishing data for a paper prototype here.

G at the tips of an 'ordinary' rotor is around 160G