Gyro model

Timchick

Tim Chick
Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex, 582 Greyhead
Total Flight Time
~30
My friend, Bob found a guy who carves a lot of different things out of wood. He asked him if he could make a gyro and sent him some photos of his gyro. Here's what the guy came up with.

Attachments

• IMG_5269s.JPG
    IMG_5269s.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5270s.JPG
    IMG_5270s.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5271s.JPG
    IMG_5271s.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 0
Very creative!

Nice bit of craftsmanship.

askihim to put price to his work. I know there are several that would pay for theire mahcines Carve. I for sure want my twisntar

That looks very nice, not as good as mine of course,lol. You have the start of a nice collection.

I didn't buy this one. Bob did. I have one of Dave's models and I like it better than the one Bob bought. The guy quoted Bob a price (about twice the price of Dave's models) but after making it he said he'd have to charge more.

Here's the one I bought from Dave:

Attachments

• Gyro Model-1.jpg
    Gyro Model-1.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 0
I like Dave's better too!!!

Daves model was awesome. Debbie was so proud of hers. Stan

Thanks guys, I have a 2 place finishing up this week. I'll post some pics

Dave, Are you going to Mentone and if so will you be taking some models with you?

Tim, it doesent look like I will be making Mentone. I have will have 4 gyros ready this week.

Very nice model.

I'm new to the forum, and I just posted on the welcome mat thread.

I linked to a model on that thread that I made years ago.

Hello from H.B., ex-KBM welder guy
http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26437

I must have spent a year working on it, and about 2 months building an X-Y-Z table so I could mill the parts I could machine on the mini lathe. It was nice having a print that was almost to scale.

Here is the link again. Yeah, I know, some parts are missing. Ha! I don't know why I didn't at least make the bracket for the top of the seat tank. :)

http://patshomepage.netfirms.com/gyro.htm

Patrick

Last edited:
Wow Patrick! You are the model builder winner! :hail:

Thanks Tim,

I appreciate the compliment. Right now, I'm a model seller. Ha! I hate to get rid of it, but I need the money. I started out making fixtures for 10. I actually have several parts that I made. The plan was to build 10, and find out how fast I could make it, cost ect., and sell kits. Then when I sat down and figured how much the screws cost, almost .50 cents a piece, and 231 screws, nuts, washers, I had to rethink my plan. I even made a hand brake to fold the rotor blades. The fixtures I have, are pretty amazing too. Having seen how the large fixture was used to make the keel, mast, and axles for drilling the holes, I decided to make a small version of it. That's the only way to hold such close tolerances, especially if you don't have an accurate mill. KBM was a master of fixtures.

If you decide to sell it on ebay just make sure you set a decent reserve price. It would be a disaster (for you) if it only sold for $50.