St. Patty's Day Trembler in So Cal

okikuma

At 0625 local time, we experienced a small earthquake in the Los Angeles area. It woke me up with a small jolt followed by about 5 seconds of rolling motion. I live about 25 miles north of the epicenter. USGS measured this quake as a 4.4

http://www.data.scec.org/recenteqs/Maps/118-34.html

As a Southern Californian, I'm quite use to earthquakes. In fact, I've also experienced earthquakes in Hawaii, and in Japan. I have emergency supplies of food, water, and medical supplies because emergency services will be not be available for up to four days after a major event (The Big One) that has been predicted to hit So Cal for the past 20+ years. It's not a matter of "if" but "when." I'll take an earthquake over a tornado or hurricane anyday!

The following is a funny video of two TV News Anchors on KTLA when this morning's little quake hit.

Wayne

KTLA News Anchor Can't Handle the St Patricks Day Earthquake - YouTube

BihOeS0CIAAi9Ac.jpg

LOL OK Paddy, You got me! My American pronunciation came through. I'll acknowledge it's St. Paddy's Day. I like the sign!

I have to ask. I've met a number of Irish that are not fond of the Brits, but why the love for St. Patrick who was a Brit, and was kidnapped by Irish pirates, sold in slavery, later escaped and returned to Britain, and ultimately return to Ireland to serve the Irish as a religious leader? Just teasing you Paddy! I asked the same question of an Irish Monsignor I knew (originally from Kilkenny and a great beer drinking buddy) and he just grumbled.

LOL the radio just said, "LA this morning received a 4.4 St. Paddy's Day Shamrock Shake."

Don, it's a slow news day so something has to be discussed. You know the media motto: "If there's no news, we make it."

Wayne

Hi Wayne
No worries,
Apparently the young St Paddy was a young Welsh ( or Scottish or English, people can't make up their mind) lad who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time (2:14 in the afternoon sometime in the 5th century) and got himself kidnapped by a few Irish lads looking for some cheap labour.
He had a few pints with the lads and had look around and reckoned that with a little work he could be the Irish Benny Hinn, managed to get back to wales on the ferry to Holyhead, and then formulated a plan to throw in a few Druid customs (like Samhain, now commonly known as Halloween) with a bit of Christianity and return try and make it big.

He decided to return to Ireland and start a bit of evangelizing up at the north of the country as he heard they were mad into their religion, so it shouldn't be too much bother getting them to believe a few extra bits. From there it spread south. He was known to give sermons while lying on his back, hence the term "the missionary position"

He set up a monestary up the north in Armagh which after his death effectively controlled the catholic hierarchy in ireland. This led to the wonderful legacies of the magdeline laundries, industrial schools like St Joseph's in Artane, the Church opposition to the the Mother and Child Scheme, the contents of the Murphy Report, and some really nice guys like John Charles McQuaid, Michael Ledwith and Brendan Smith to name a few ( if you've time a quick google will prove interesting)

Luckily it looks like we are coming out of the dark ages over here, and Paddys Day is now a day for hanging out with you friends over a few pints and having a laugh.

Slainte
Paddy

Great history lesson Paddy. That's all St. Paddy's day is here. A day to drink green beer and eat corned beef and cabbage. I know that's not exactly Irish, however here's the history why it replaced salt pork here in the US.

The Irish were not considered very highly by other Europeans, especially the British. That form of discrimination came to the US with the European immigrants including not doing business or selling to the Irish. One other group however that was equally mistreated were the Jewish immigrants. The Jews and Irish often purchased food and textiles from each other. Since most of the Jewish immigrants observed Kosher law, they didn't eat or sell pork, however they were very willing to sell corned beef to the Irish immigrants as a replacement. Thus the Irish-American tradition of corned beef and cabbage.

Every group and race thinks they are always better than the rest. The one real commonality within all the human race is denial. The denial that we all are really and equally the same under the skin with the same attributes and faults, dreams and desires.

Wayne

Last edited:
What wimps. I thought some one slamed a door up stairs. What's the fuss?

I'm with you. I grew up in Torrance and lived there until '92. A 4.4 is would just rock me to sleep.

:drum: