Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Staff member
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2600+ in rotorcraft
Hello Larry,

I feel this is a particularly risky time and worth a separate thread even though all landings are heralded with a takeoff.

I have an electric pre-rotator on the Predator and I can’t hear the radio when it is engaged.

At an uncontrolled airport I call, “White Gyroplane lining up for takeoff on runway ___ for a ______ departure to the N S E W. I usually call my turn altitude and speed.

I fly the entire runway before turning in case the engine goes quiet.

I climb out at 60kts to get out of the way as soon as possible.

If I feel crowded I side step the runway at around 50 feet agl, the direction depending on the situation, usually away from the pattern.

At the end of the runway I scan the instruments and say, “Temperatures and Pressures in the Green” to myself.

I try to be careful about crossing the pattern if I am making a crosswind departure by extending my takeoff a quarter mile beyond the end of the runway.

At an airport with an operating control tower ATC will tell me what they want. It is not unusual for them to ask for an early turn of a side step. Otherwise I try to do exactly what they expect.

This is what works for me, I am not a CFI and this is not exactly what I was taught. It has emerged from things that didn’t work out.

Thank you, Vance

When I was at towered airport I was asked to do a few things that I felt restricted me a bit as far as capability and safety. So I made an additional request and they granted it. I've even asked to take off from taxi on occasion as to stay off of a very active runway. I've asked to turn midfield and take off as to expedite and get the heck out quick. I've learned that towers will tell you what to do. But they also are quite receptive to deviation if requested and safe.

I have an electric pre-rotator on the Predator and I can’t hear the radio when it is engaged.

This would make me nervous while spinning up on the runway.

I've had take-off clearances cancelled by a worried/hurried controller and even requests to exit the runway (because something else was going on with another aircraft somewhere), and I would hate to miss a radio call like that while preparing to launch.

It makes me nervous too.

It makes me nervous too.

This would make me nervous while spinning up on the runway.

I've had take-off clearances cancelled by a worried/hurried controller and even requests to exit the runway (because something else was going on with another aircraft somewhere), and I would hate to miss a radio call like that while preparing to launch.

Hello J.R.,

That is one of the many reasons that Mariah Gale will have a hydraulic pre-rotator.

I am off quickly at a controlled airport. I start pre-rotating when I get my clearance and am usually half back at 100 rpm before I hit the centerline and off the button in another 100 feet. I can launch faster than most fixed wings and can side step early.

I find it more troubling at uncontrolled airports. I don’t like to be on the runway without a radio.

I have a filter on it but it is ineffective.

Thank you, Vance

I was pretty lucky

I was pretty lucky

The uncontrolled airport I flew out of didn't have that much traffic and many days I was the only aircraft in the pattern so takeoffs were pretty normal and uneventful. Of course we did practice all the required and some "special" takeoff procedures.

I did take students to controlled airports to learn how ATC works and had quite a few interesting radio conversations with ATC... Including several times when I was asked to "air taxi" to the active or midfield for expedited takeoff...

I appreciate the input, gentlemen.
I'm smiling as it seems like what I'm doing is pretty much in line with what you suggest.
Except that I takeoff short and depart quickly rather than flying the runway. In my case, this puts me over a golf course so an engine out isn't too bad. Better to minimize time-over-target with 3 or 4 (not native English speakers) students in the air. It is ... challenging.