Rotax 670

AirScooter

Scott Waggoner
Aircraft
Tandem Dominator-Zenith 701
Total Flight Time
8 minutes, 31 seconds
Does anyone know of the 670 being used successfully? The 85 horses look inviting.

Brent Brown has one. His has been good, Ernie has had problems with his.

Don't know Ron, He hasn't blown it up yet :) He did convert it to dual Ign, and is using Bing carbs, I don't know much else.

Well not to say anything bad towards Brent, but just cause he has it doesn't mean he has flown it much. I'd like to know how many hours he has put on it without problems.

My buddy Barry Thigpen, who put a 670 on a Phantom ul airplane made it to about 30 some odd hours before destroying the pistons and rings and cylinders in his 670

Ron,
That engine did the same thing on Russ's gyro. Dad is probably going to put his up for sale at Bensen days. He rebuilt is and put a different head on it. The key to it lasting maybe dual fuel pumps. On the sled it has dual fuel pumps.

There is one advertised on Barnstormers out of Florida. It is dual ignition. The guy is running it at about 85 hp. Says the problem comes from people trying to make them 100hp engines. Just trying to get a feel for everyones opinion and experience. Does what he says hold water with you guys? I know he did mention using dual fuel pumps.

I talked to that guy. He is using the ignition and head from a 582 on it. He is also using a 618 exhaust. This might make it more reliable. I know the one day had was very powerful while it ran.

I have about 35 hours on mine only 4 of that is with the dual plug set up.

The other 670 I had was having trouble with the gearbox and no trouble at all with the engine that engine had over 50 hours on it.

I don't see why they don't work for others but I never let the rpm go over 6800 and jet it when needed.

This is just like the MZ 202 it worked fine for me others have trouble with it. My mz was harder to get jetted right that the 670 but use the EGTs and fly it

I might not be able to get on here every day now that I'm back in Afghanistan.

I put an hour on the 670 today and it is still fine. 80 to 85 HP sounds about right. I would like to sell it just so I can get my other project going again. If you are a big guy like me 250 pounds + and want a light engine this will work. I use the same pump as you do on other rotax engines and only one.

Rick Davis or Rotax Rick on Barnstormers is the guys selling them. I bought my 503 from him. He has a 670 on his Quicksilver 2 place and is running 100:1 amsoil in it. I believe he sells them with a 1 or 2 year warranty.