Flying sideways

Ringers being ground stockmen sleeping on the job?

Ringers being ground stockmen sleeping on the job?
;)

I can't even imagine what is extreme to you after reading that.
Thats why ill keep it to meself Tina. :)

One of the most effective moves i have used for shiftn cheeky critters hiden under trees is to blast them with the prop.

Try these bad boys Birdy. :)

Attachments

• Eli 1a.jpg
    Eli 1a.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 0
It was been my experience that flying sideways is not a big deal, it is a good way to get the feel of how your gyro reacts to strong ruder inputs, and if you need it to get straightened out for a crosswind landing you will be one up on the game.

Don't try this at low altitudes or high speeds, and be ready for the gyro to slow down when you turn it sideways. It is only natural if you induce more drag, for the gyro to slow down, just keep in mind the rotor doesn't care which way the airframe is pointed, just which way the wind is coming from.

As long as you keep the rotor tilted up in the direction you are going and the airframe level you will be fine. This is a simple explanation of a complex maneuver.

A fun thing to try is slowly going from full right rudder to full left rudder, back and forth a couple times and try to keep in a straight line. It is alot of fun and a good way get the feel of how strong your rudder is.

Leigh, those are some big cows you grow!

Ours have much shorter ears and noses, but still make great McDonald's hamburgers. Yours look like they may taste a bit "gamey".

Scott Heger, Laguna Niguel,Ca N86SH

No our Eli's are smart animals Birdy.

I was amazed this last visit to see nearly a thousand camels near my Uncles place outside Nairobi. Apparently on their way being shipped someplace. Obviously someone somewhere loves em.

Yup Scott we put these in our Jumbo burgers. Taste OK...I am told.

Sorry to have side-slipped from the topic Tina.:sorry:

I don't think this is the altitude you have in mind Tina..

But it works the same..

Attachments

• sideway's.JPG
    sideway's.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 0
Yup, Steve is the King of Sideways-at-Six-Inches. Nobody is better. Most don't even try.

Well today I flew my gyro and had a incident not bad but still a incident. Let me start from the beginning. I was flying my gyro around the pattern and started off with hardly any wind then the wind starting picking up with a slight cross wind of 30 degrees, at about 6 knots. Not much but I said to myself this is a good time to practice some cross control to landing on my last go around and try that sideways flying down the runway.

All looked good on finale airspeed good, lined up on the center line good. Then I put in some rudder pointing into the wind all good following the center line at a slight 30 degree angle all good. I fly down the runway probably 2,000 feet which is half way down our 4,000 feet runway, not loosing any altitute and really not paying much attention to my airspeed because all felt good and I was not loosing any control. Then I turned it around strait and came in for a perfect spot landing to my target, again all good. I was proud of my self and a great first test to flying sideways and controlling the gyro in a slight cross wind landing.

I then took my gyro to the hanger and like always go over the machine for a post flight check and to my amazement I seen my pitot tube was broke. I could not believe it! apparently it was just a matter of time this weld was going to break and flying sideways for that small amount of time did it in. I was so lucky I did not continue flying after that because who knows what would have happened. That pitot tube is so long it would have gotten into my rotors and caused me real problems not to mention flying with no airspeed indication. I know I would not freak out with no airspeed because I have flown before with none but still it would have been a little concerning.

Here is some pictures of my broken pitot tube. I am once again grounded till I get this fixed. Not a big problem but again if I continued flying it would and could have been a disaster!

Attachments

• pitot1.jpg
    pitot1.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 0
  • pitot2.jpg
    pitot2.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Glad it all worked out OK.

Sorry Tina not quite sure where I am looking on your pictures. For a moment thought I was looking at a pitot tube mounted up on the cheek plates?

How long from the tip of your pitot to the instrument?

May not work for your set up, and excuse me posting these if it does not, but may lend itself to being adapted by you on your gyro.

Long delicate pitot was not practical for us. We started with one about 4'' with just the aluminum tubing. Within a very short time that started getting bent. We then cut it right down and via a plastic tube detoured it into a thicker walled tube projecting forward with a sturdy base.

It now also acts as a very handy grab handle and work well for both functions.

Attachments

• 1st Pitot tube.jpg
    1st Pitot tube.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Step 1.jpg
    Step 1.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Step 2.jpg
    Step 2.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Grab handle.jpg
    Grab handle.jpg