littlewing

monks102

Does anybody have any info on the littlewing gyro? it looks like a gret idea but their phone is disconnected. Are they out of buisness? thanks

littlewing

a few years ago ron decide that he didn't have time to answer the phone and switched to email for answering questions, this was a few weeks after I got a set of plans from him and was the reason I decided not to build a littlewing.
norm

I think that is a bit harsh. He has responded to each and every email, patiently answered every single, often repeated question with the same enthusiasm he likely gave the first time he was ever asked.

It is well known that most people on this forum would rather quickly and more efficiently answer using email to cut down on being married to the phone. You can get photos and your questions answered more directly and without all the small talk that can eat up his time. I have all of my saved emails and specially sent photographs provided to me in answer to my problems. I can't imagine the volume of questions being sent his way. You should also know by the very detailed plans that for the 175.00 if you look long enough it is mostly there for you to see. I suspect maybe you felt overwhelmed by the information and the real reason for not building was NOT because he didn't answer a phone.

Some people don't understand this and simply do not want to take the time to read or search out the answer and want an immediate phone conversation at the drop of the dime.

Its like when you are registering to become a member..... For many reasons that are obvious and a few that are helpful this forum requires you to list where you are from and yet these same people think if they name their town or city we are suppossed to know where that is.... People that can't take the time to be bothered by giving a little helpful information are the same ones that seem to have a lot of other trouble getting help when they need it.

Maybe, someone noticing your posts would realize you are nearby and something totally unexpected could have come from it. I know - because it happened to me. Yes they were over 2 hours a way in another state building Little Wings but with their encouragement I decided to build the 2nd one.

I am just saying there are ways to help yourself and to expect someone to do it your way or the highway didn't hurt anyone but yourself. Posting so harshly critical of a guy that understandably has to deal with a regular job and his passion we are so lucky to have shared, is infair to such a man.

Last edited:
Monk,

Answer is no. Their site needs to be updated if phone isn't being used. His email contact as listed above his phone number is [email protected] He is an excellent source of information and his plans are quite complete. In his plans he even provides information for single seat, two seat long and short versions as well as one controlled with fixed rotor. A lot of info for the buck - Not only large blueprints but spiral bound thick notebook with page after page of detailed drawings. Gee, do you think he might have tried to give all the information to minimize phone time ? He is a very upfront person, and even if it is there in the plans - he will answer your questions in a very generous way. It just bothers me when I have seen him so helpful on various stages of the 4 Littlewings I worked on - being sort of blamed for the reason a person doesn't commit.

I can't remember but it seems to me there is a Red Littlewing in Pennsylvania or New Jersey. I tried to look it up quickly but maybe you can find him. Maybe not the closest but if you decide to build, you are not alone.

littlewing

Thanks for the replys. If anyone knows where I cn see or contact someone about the one in NJ or PA it would be greatly appreciated. I live in NJ and would love to see one in person and see if it is all I think it is.

littlewing

I didn't think I was bashing Ron, at the time that I was planning to build a littlewing I didn't have satillite internet and I was totally computer stupid,I am only about two degrees better now. The littlewing would have been my 15th aircraft build and looks very simple to build , this spring I built a dominator and while the email was great for photos there were still a few phone calls to Earnie to clearfy things. My dominator was build 19.

Norm

Hi Norman

If you have built 15 home built planes then the amount of work to build a fuselage like the Little Wing would not be a suprise to you, but I think it would be safe to say that at least 50% of the people who look at a Little Wing don't have a clue as to the amount of work involved and get discouraged when they finally realize it. You got to be a SERIOUS BUILDER to start on a Little Wing.

Tony

littlewing

Tony
I have found that a welded tube aircraft to be much easier and quicker to build than sheet metal where you have to form and heat treat all the parts before you get to work on anything that looks like an aircraft. the tubes are set up on a simple jig table, tube ends are fish mouthed on a milling machine and tack welded in place then the two sides are joined together. I think I could build one in about three months on wheels and another month to build a set of aluminum floats for it.
Norm

Yup, you got experience .

Tony

Yes Ron is still in Business... He chose to answer quesitons via email and is on top of getting back to every one he receives. Great person to deal with.
He is in Arkansas.
There is one on Barnstormers for sale. Needs an engine...
Hope this helps...

Norm, that is fine but you said because he didn't answer phone THIS is the reason you didn't build one. That sure seems like you were blaming him for something.

I've seen those kind of comments before and he doesn't deserve them.

I am just guessing that about the time he went to emails was when he was building the 26 time world record maker. Probably wasn't too busy.....

Wow 15 and you let a phone call problem stop you? Tony - just think if we could have gotten Norm to build 15 Little Wings in 3 months apiece! That would be a record too wouldn't it? With that much experience and the ease he could make them I should have just placed an order. Where were you Norm when I needed you 3+ years ago? Dang ! AND floats?

Last edited:
I think I found it. Says central New York. Jim Sharer. He has posted here before but he, like too many others think that we ought to know where he lives.

His profile says " Cherry Valley" and the post was from 2008 though. Thought maybe that might help.

Here is the thread I found : http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15143

Phantom, (Norman ) I would love to see some pics of those aircraft that you have built.

Did you fly them all ? Do you still have any ? Where is Eagle River ?

1 month for a set of floats ?

You are good ! Can't wait for the pics !

Your profile is really weak.......what is your age ? What engine on your Dominator ? Pics ?

Last edited:
Chris,
Norm is a great guy, very knowledgeable, fun to talk to, and hang out with.
Very experienced pilot, and builder. He lives on the edge of the world where the nearest Wal Mart is 600 miles away!
Norm has built and flown stuff that we have never even dreamed of!

Look up the Eagle River in Newfoundland,

Sorry Norm I didn't want to give up too much info, you know with identity theft and all...

Sorry Scott, How would I know that ? By his profile ? By the pics that he has posted ?

Sounds like he could have easily built a Littlewing.

All that skill & no digital camera ?

Must be tough to get materials on the edge of the world. I tend to believe what I see.

And I want to see pictures.............Has he sold all of the aircraft that he built ?

Shhhh!........you'll scare the fish !