Chuck Beaty

gab76

Aircraft
A/C Tandem CLT Soob power
Total Flight Time
Hey Chuck,

I received this msg from Devon. I will help him if I can here with my gyro. Can you help him with the detail tech links? Greg

KCRSXTypeS said:
Mr. Bradley,
My name is Devon Cartwright. I am brand new to this forum, joining just today. I am a senior Aerospace Engineer at the University of Kansas (I hope you aren't an MU fan or you probably wont talk to me:p) and I am designing a gyroplane for my senior design AIAA project to meet LSA standards. One of the problems I am facing is that I have never personally seen a gyro before. I have no idea how the controls, aerodynamic surfaces, engine, prop, rotor, etc. are implemented. In fact, it is nearly impossible to design this because nothing I have learned in aerodynamics and design really apply to gyroplanes.

I live in Olathe and I was hoping that it would be possible to meet up with you some day soon so that we could talk gyroplanes and I could see yours and maybe take some pictures for reference. Please let me know if this would be a possibility because I believe this could be the deciding factor in what makes my report great.[/QUOT

Tell Mr. Cartwright to check out a copy of Aerodynamics of the Helicopter by Gessow & Myers. It will tell him everything he needs to know.

KCRSXTypeS said:
Mr. Bradley,
...I am a senior Aerospace Engineer at the University of Kansas... In fact, it is nearly impossible to design this because nothing I have learned in aerodynamics and design really apply to gyroplanes.

Kind of hard to believe that you can go almost all the way to become an Aerospace Engineer and not learn anything about props, rotors, lift, drag, various moments, etc.

What DID they learn all those years in aerodynamics?

-- Chris.

engineer

engineer

He may find out he knows more than he thought. May we all "raise" him to new knowledge heights whereas you get a nose bleed!

Tried the link Tim but it told me the video was no longer available.

Might be my isp, think they're having problems.

Pier Luigi is one of those gifted individuals who can make any rotary wing aircraft speak his language.

His primary interest was in locating a lightweight helicopter to manufacture in Italy. I took him to Jacksonville and introduced him to the Nolan Brothers where he managed to see their little coaxial helicopter.

He had absolutely no interest in Dreadnought class rotorcraft. His passion in gyros was agility combined with stability.

My gyro at the time Pier Luigi was flying it weighed 240 lb. empty. That, combined with a Rotax 503 and his weight of perhaps 140 lb. gave rocket like performance. His legs wouldn’t reach the rudder pedals so we had to duct tape a pillow to the seat back.