XXXX

How is it possible to hold the tremendous force of gears trying to "climb" apart with a simple hand lever? I believe you should take a second look at a (modified) Bendix drive. We have been using them for 35 years with very few problems.

I agree with Tom, the other thing is that the teeth do not look like they would mesh very well, they look like 2 different profiles, might be a lot of the problem.

Just a guess, but it looks like if you move the wheel like on your drawing, the wheel should try to pull itself into the ring gear (self energizing). It looks like on your current set up that you are trying to hold the gears together with the tension from the hand lever.
re do the pivot poit so that the gears pull themselves together.

Sorry I was not able to explain it better.

Why re-invent the "Wunderlich" pre-rotator. Buy one from Tom @ Calumet Air. Tried and true. Like he said, for over 35 years!

In JC’s illustration, the red line, the line of action, is also known as the pressure angle.

Two common pressure angles are 20º and 14.5º.

Gears with 20º pressure angle will have a higher separating force than gears with 14.5º pressure angle.

Gears with 20º pressure angle have thicker and stronger tooth shanks than those with 14.5º pressure angle.

Last edited: