Aircraft
2-place Air Command CLT SxS (project), & Twinstarr Autogyro
Total Flight Time
750+hrs and climbing
This is a tread branch from More Bensen photos
------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GyroRon
Here is Mike in a Cow pasture after a forced landing due to a Hirth engine out.

This is remarkable. In a separate thread on this forum devoted to engine outs, the question was asked why it was that gyros seemed to have so many engine outs. The rash of replies to the original post denied this was a true reflection of the matter. But here we have another. I've been following this forum for about a month now, and I don't think I've been quietly amazed at the number of engine out reports.

Why is this?

This sort of frequency would be unheard of in GA circles. Is it because gyros are inexpensive, so we use cheap engines? Is it possibly to do with a lack of rigorous maintainance? Is it (god forbid) because gyro pilots do not always do comprehensive preflight checks?

I find it hard to believe that a good engine (Subaru, Rotax, Mazda rotary etc) would fail with anywhere near the frequency that I read of engine outs in this forum.

Confused,
Duncan

Duncan,

I hang out with a bunch of Ultralight pilots here in Cincinnati and they have just as many engine failures. I have not collected any statistics on them but the F.W. ultralights seem to take more damage ( and make more ) when they come down.