It's time to think differently

Sounds like something that can be done relatively easy using Survey Monkey or something like that.
What kind of questions would give the best data?
Total Hours
Gyro hours
Type of gyro
Category of gyro
field elevation
mission
average flight in hours
average flight in miles
Been involved in accident/incident
Ratings?
Training?

If we keep saying that gyros are safe, we should feel pretty good about collecting the data to back that up.

Cammie and Everyone Else,

I enjoyed reading your posts and adding to my understanding of the world of gyros. I had a little bit of an "ah-ha" moment when I read your comparison of old versus current trends in the sport.

I work for Meggitt Aerospace and our plant manager does not like what he calls the "iterative approach" to problem solving. I have had to change my personal method 180 degrees because that's how I work best. To me, the iterative approach means using common sense to see the obvious problem and attack it.

His way is data...data...data...data...! Collect a TON of data and compile it into charts and graphs so that you can graphically see the culprit that has been exposed by the actual data.

It dawned on me that in the world of gyros, safety, training, and accident statistics are always contentious subjects and the arguments usually don't have data to back them up. You have discussed how the trend is moving toward more capable 2-seat gyros. My guess is, if gyros evolve into true cross-country, point to point machines instead of zoom around the field toys, then the genre's image among other pilots and the public will improve greatly. Someone needs to be collecting very detailed data as the change happens. The charts and graphs will find their way into publications and the word will get out about the improving stats.

Along with "leaving the vicinity" where you takeoff, always comes a higher knowledge level of things related to flying and the profile of takeoff-climb-cruise-descend-pattern-land is a lot different than boring holes around the airport.

I think these two principles will change the safety and accident statistics in a drastic and positive way. If data has been collected and graphed, it will show if there's a difference, safetywise, between the "cross country folks" and the "stay around the airport folks."

Agree?...Disagree?

Hmmm ... you may not like that data and stats you are advising to collect. They are probably better than before (at least not fatal) but pure numbers of incidence wise, they are plentiful for a set numbers of hours flown.

Sounds like something that can be done relatively easy using Survey Monkey or something like that...

If it's to produce actual data, it can't be self-reported. There seems to be a strong tendency to only report your safety record if its perfect. Many accidents which are walk-aways or involve only minor injuries are kept secret.

The FAA can't even produce real data for airplanes, because it has no mechanism to measure total hours flown in the US, only estimates.

I would say that the discussions on this forum when a gyro accident happens would be the most complete and accurate data for the comparison of what type "mission" was going on when the accident happened.

I may be wrong but it seems I only remember ONE accident that happened during a true cross-country flight. It was at night and I think it was a dual flight instruction trip when the Suby engine locked up.???

Ponder this analogy and whether it is accurate or not...
Let's you took 100 pilots and gave them all tailwheel training and GAVE them a shiny new Pitts S-1 to fly and enjoy. Let's also say there was no waiver or training required to do low level aerobatics.

There's a lot of similarities between this and the gyro world. It's a quirky aircraft that will "bite you" and not really intended for cross-country. It's usually flown in the vicinity of the airport and flown in a way that makes people say "wow!"

Now imagine comparing that sampling to another 100 pilots with identical Pitts' that only use them for takeoff-cruise-and landing at another airport. Which group will have the best safety record?

Last edited: