N Number Size

Terry H

Terry
Aircraft
Pit Bull Gyroplane
Total Flight Time
I'm working on a little gyro and was planning on afixing my N-Numbers to the rudder in about 2" font. Upon re-reading the regs I see that my gyro isn't grandfathered in for the little numbers but, being a new build, falls under current regs.

In my reading of the rules I need to paint 12" numbers on the fuselage if there is space. What this does is change my paint scheme to flying N-Number Bilboard.

I did a couple of mock-ups I will try to post here.

My questions are: Do I really have to go to 12"? Has anyone else done this? Does the FAA have little men sneaking around with rulers measuring the N-Numbers on aircraft?

Attached are two photos. One is what I had planned to do, n23gp_1.jpg

the other is a trial of 12" letters on the fuselage. N_numbers.jpg

I can fit the huge letters, but don't like the asthetics. I would appreciate hearing from folks who are familiar with the N-number regulations on this.

Thanks, Terry

The article is correct. 3" unless you are going greater than 180 KTS.

Neat machine by the way!

Fantastic, thanks. I don't know how I missed that 180 knot rule. I will go with my first rendering.

Terry

You might could get away with 2" letters. Reference FAR part 45 for more information.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=d00042a9892850e157e9d9c0702f3146&node=14:1.0.1.3.22&rgn=div5#14:1.0.1.3.22.3.363.1

§45.22 Exhibition, antique, and other aircraft: Special rules.

(b) A small U.S.-registered aircraft built at least 30 years ago or a U.S.-registered aircraft for which an experimental certificate has been issued under §21.191(d) or 21.191(g) for operation as an exhibition aircraft or as an amateur-built aircraft and which has the same external configuration as an aircraft built at least 30 years ago may be operated without displaying marks in accordance with §§45.21 and 45.23 through 45.33 if:

(1) It displays in accordance with §45.21(c) marks at least 2 inches high on each side of the fuselage or vertical tail surface consisting of the Roman capital letter “N” followed by:

(i) The U.S. registration number of the aircraft; or

(ii) The symbol appropriate to the airworthiness certificate of the aircraft (“C”, standard; “R”, restricted; “L”, limited; or “X”, experimental) followed by the U.S. registration number of the aircraft; and

(2) It displays no other mark that begins with the letter “N” anywhere on the aircraft, unless it is the same mark that is displayed under paragraph (b)(1) of this section.

FAR part 21

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=d00042a9892850e157e9d9c0702f3146&node=14:1.0.1.3.9&rgn=div5#14:1.0.1.3.9.8.11.14

Experimental certificates are issued for the following purposes:

(d) Exhibition. Exhibiting the aircraft's flight capabilities, performance, or unusual characteristics at air shows, motion picture, television, and similar productions, and the maintenance of exhibition flight proficiency, including (for persons exhibiting aircraft) flying to and from such air shows and productions.

(g) Operating amateur-built aircraft. Operating an aircraft the major portion of which has been fabricated and assembled by persons who undertook the construction project solely for their own education or recreation.

Was the first Pitbull built more than thirty years ago?

Does the Pitbull look like another aircraft built more than thirty years ago? Pitcairn?

I am still a little confused. CFR 45.29.b.iii says 3". CFR 45.29.b.3 says 12". Since I can wave 45.29.b.iii should an FAA rep wave 45.29.b.3 at me; I think that if my tail numbers are 3" it should be acceptable. So far all the FAA folks I've spoken with have been very reasonable.

Classics & Experimental 3" . new types "certified" repainted 12" ,Crossing the border 12"

Talkin with the local FSDO can help, I had 6" numbers ,No biggie.

Attachments

• n8kr_010a.jpg
    n8kr_010a.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
...Crossing the border, 12" ...

Crossing the border is not an issue, it is Crossing a ADIZ or DEWIZ that requires the 12" numbers, plus a filed flight plan. IFR or VFR.
If you are talking and squawking, the Fighters will not intercept you.

Flying into Mexico or Canada over land is no problem.
Flying to Florida directly from Mexico or the Bahamas will need the Big Numbers.

ADIZ and DEWIZ areas are offshore in the Oceans and Gulf of Mexico.
The FIR Zones listed on the Canadian border are Flight Information Regions, Nothing to be afraid of!

Last edited:
Riverside FSDO had us use tape on N numbers 12" tall for over the border work

we took them off after the contract was done...