My latest Helicopter Design

Linkage

Linkage

Dave,

I used the drawing you supplied and added construction lines to see what happens. The sketch below shows my results.

I don't see how it supports your claim that the center of the two blades go through the teetering center point.

Thanks,
Larry

Attachments

• 1127_3-Model.pdf
    15.2 KB · Views: 2
I am now back from the Beijing show. It was a smashing success. We had the most popular booth in our location. There were many UAV rotorcraft exhibitors there with various helicopters and other contraptions, but I must say we took the spotlight.

I can't count how many people there asked if this was built in the USA, and when I corrected them and said it is all built in China, they could not believe it. They have never before seen such high-quality, and now hail it as a new level in helicopter UAV technology. It was if they seen a flying saucer. Even our competitors came over and could not take their eyes off or close their mouth, and complemented it as the highest level of quality.

A European news reporter said to me that in his study, China was trailing behind 5 years in the world of rotorcraft UAV's, but with this new technology, they have jumped 5 years ahead of the world in a single bound.

Looks like I'm going to be busy in China, I have received several offers to design and build aircraft here, after these people have seen some of my capabilities. China is the new frontier in the world of aviation, and I have decided to be a big part of it's growth.

Below are a few pictures of the helicopter as it was going together and of the booth and our other UAV projects.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1
A few more pictures;

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1
Here is me and my design team, James and David. Both great guys and a big help.

Another picture of massive crowds that were simply amazed at our helicopter.

Attachments

• 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1
Dennis, it looks good. All the best with testing!

What are the anticipated missions?

Are suitable four-strokes difficult to source in China?

Can quality parts be had in China? They like to tell us the reputation for poor quality has more to do with US demands for lowest possible price than with Chinese manufacturing capabilities.

Regarding the patent pending, I gotta ask...is that actually meaningful in China?

Missions are whatever the customer would require of a very fast and powerful vertical lift platform where a low vibration flight is suitable. The limit is the imaginations. I don't get into the sales of it.

I have not been looking for any other engines yet. The company wanted me to specifically use the Rotax 582, so thats what I did.

High quality parts can be made in China, but, you need to teach them the difference and how to do it. Every time I had to grab them by the nose and drag them to the end while kicking a$$ all the way, but I don't give up until I get what I want. Once they know, they are good to repeat.

China has a good patent system, so long as it's a Chines issued patent.

Dennis- Very impressive! Thanks for sharing. I can't tell on my cellphone, but does your tail rotor have a delta hinge in it? What cruise speed and range sare you expecting out of your helicopter? Beautiful design. Stan

Yes, it is a delta hinge.

Cruse speed is 130mph. It has a 200 kilogram capacity, which payload can be substituted for fuel if needed. I guess the customer could put 50 gallons of fuel on it if he needed giving him a 8 hour mission.

Last edited:
Dennis,

I have a suggestion! How about developing some new gyro technology for import to the US. Like three or four bladed rotor systems. Rotor blades would be nice too...larger one not available here. Four places gyros and new gyro engines. Both piston and small turbine engines would be great! Make them inexpensive so the average homebuild can afford them. Sorry, just dreaming, lol.

P.S. That's a beautiful aircraft!

I am developing a completely new gyroplane technology, and I will build it in China and export around the world, but no more inexpensive. I learned a big lesson from you guys. It don't pay to make affordable aircraft. I will do like Rotorway, Robinson and the other smart ones, and charge as much as I can and just build less. If I have a backlog only means I'm not charging enough yet. Sorry guys, you had your chance for affordable aircraft out of me, and lost it. Now I'm smarter. Thank you for the nice compliment.

Last edited:
Dennis,

An impressive looking craft. Congratulations.
ThumbsUp.gif

Is the rotorhead an Offset Bi-teetering - Rotor Hub?

Dave

Dave, as usual you are on top of things. Yes it is, but I was able to manipulate the theory and eliminate the Coriolis effect. How is a secret. You are correct on all your further discussions on this thread.

You have always been an asset to the rotorcraft field with your comprehensive knowledge and helpful website that has a treasures-worth of information.

1127_4.jpg

Chuck,

The above figures are from Boeing's US patent 4,681,511. They probably give the clearest image of the rotor that is under discussion, plus they have numbers for identity purposes.
With a teetering rotor, the blade CGs are not drawn in toward the center of rotation.
Would it not be fair to say that when teetering rotors tilt, in respect to the mast, the Coriolis Effect causes them to accelerate and decelerate at a rate of 2/rev, because the blade CGs are drawn in toward the center of rotation? A skate could theoretically speed up her rotation if she raised one arm, lowered the other, and had the blade tip firmly planted in the ice.

If the disk had a tilt of 45_degree I would say that the CG of the two blades would defiantly be closer to the centerline of the mast and their centrifugal force would be trying to reposition the mast.

Larry,

The vertical distance between 18 and 62 is the undersling.
The 'center point' 32 is a virtual center (geometric center).
The tilt angle of the rotor disk in Fig. 2 is 0-degrees and in Fig. 4 it is 10-degrees, but, what ever the tilt angle is, a straight line between the 26 (CofG) on the two blades will always (1) go through 32.

(1) Like all rotors, the last sentence will vary slightly with different operating conditions.

Dave

The UAV you are talking about is in fact the SUV 200 and entirely developed by The Hunan Sunward Technology Co., Ltd under the direction of Professor (PhD) He Qinghua and his team of professors, doctors, masters and senior engineers, senior technicians and other components of the technology development team. SUV 200 and was ostensibly built for the monitoring of power lines. Rated at a cost of $1.4 million dollars and since its payload is only 200kg makes it unviable for the military. It is equivocal to claim it is your creation, Professor a PhD, He Qinghua (he is aware of your fibs too)and his team at home and abroad for many years have closely tracked the latest developments in the field of general aviation and are involved with Tongliao /Condor Albert Airlines (Shandong Province) into the future development of the Aurora SA60L (nothing to do with your either) and already in use the ultra- light aircraft spraying equipment and aircraft seeding equipment. Your Gyrocopter while it was photographed amongst other crafts for a company advertising , I am a afraid to say, it won’t be used. You see, in China not all Chinese are green. By the way,any patents, if applicable, will be the property of The Hunan Sunward Technology Co., Ltd

Thanks
Albert

Dear Albert, what can I say to you.....

Albert is correct, he is reading off one of the brochures that I was handing out myself at the show. Naturally, my benefactor wants and desirves the publicity of this advanced UAV helicopter. They had me build it for their benefit, not mine. What they say is their business, and rightfully so. They pay well for that right.

I have had the privilege and honor of knowing Professor He Qinghua for about 9 years now. I am proud to call him a friend, of which we enjoy social events together. I imagine that you are only speaking from ignorance when you say that he knows of my "fibs" as you put it. If you looked closely on the UAV helicopter, on the side it said "by Dennis Fetters", for the world to see who did this big job.

As for my Air Command gyroplane, what in the world are you talking about?? I have never offered it for sale to Sunward nor would I. I have bigger ideas than that little toy, so no, it will never be available. It's only in China for my enjoyment to fly.

Unfortunately, I can't help what people make up and post, or post out of contents, only the guilty party and Moderators have the power to stop that. I'm very sure that you and others have posted similar things on the Chinese boards. I understand, you are nervous that I will take the market away from you...... you are right.

...... They had me build it for their benefit, not mine. What they say is their business, and rightfully so. They pay well for that right.....

That's business, right there!

Brilliant job Dennis. Congratulations!

Yes. China is an amazing place - anyone who has not been there probably cannot imagine the money that is available - and most Chinese businessmen don't just dip a toe in the water, once decided they just dive in!

Skills and quality they learn quickly enough - just a little trial and error to get going.

Amazingly, (in my business - intensive animal production) most of the big guys I know are all buying American equipment for their big projects (US$300 million projects, dozens of them) - US equipment in that field is the best in the world, but it sure ain't rocket science, and there are plenty of manufacturers in China.

Clarity

Clarity

Thanks Dave,

Your sketches from the Boeing patent clarified greatly.

Larry

Dennis,

Out of curiosity ... are you fluent in Chinese? Or do you use an interpreter? I have been told the Chinese language is among the most difficult to learn and master.

Tom

Dennis,

Out of curiosity ... are you fluent in Chinese? Or do you use an interpreter? I have been told the Chinese language is among the most difficult to learn and master.

Tom

I will never learn how to read or write in Chinese, but I am learning to understand and speak the language. I figure if you live somewhere you should be respectful enough to learn their language and their ways of life. Fit in... when in Rome do as the Romans do.

Chinese is probably the most difficult language to learn to read and write, with each symbol being an object or character, and thousands to learn. They say if you memorize about 2000 of the most common symbols, then you could have a good understanding of what you wanted to read. On the other hand, the spoken Chinese language is in it's self, rather easy in sentence structure. But, the Chinese rely heavily on pronunciation of a word, and the octave pitch of a word. Many sounds in Chinese are the same words, but are separated to different meanings with a slight octave change. This is what I find to be the most difficult part of their language to overcome.

I had took some pictures with a better camera that same day, but the owner of the camera got away from me. Now that I have them, I'll post them for whom may be interested. Some will be similar to the ones I already posted, but better than I took with my Blackberry. Please enjoy.

Attachments

• a.JPG
    a.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 34.JPG
    34.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 35.JPG
    35.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 36.JPG
    36.JPG