120,000 foot sky dive

I think they're going to try again Sunday.
Kittinger is a consultant on the current effort.

Last edited:
Pity about the abort. Joe Kittinger has certainly held the record for a long time.

Just goes to show you, what is "old" is "new" again..... :)

Too bad these young kids can't come up with their own ideas.

Actually it should be very cool, now if we could just get Red Bull to dump some money
into something involving gyros........ :D

Scott, there isn't enough surface area to splash "RED BULL" on most gyros, so I doubt they will spend any money with us.
I have met Kittinger, he is still flying hot air ballons here in central Fl. He is a character.
Thanks for the link Jake, this will be cool to watch.

The link is pretty cool.
I saved it in my favorites so I can check it now and then.
I did the math and 30,000,000 cubic feet of gas seemed like alot more than they needed.
After thinking about it, they may not have enough lift, cause this guy has got to have a set of balls bigger than Texas!! :)

~~JAKE~~

They are on the way up now at 65,000 feet. The jump should be less than an hour.

He took the record for highest freefall and highest balloon flight but did not get the record for longest time in freefall.

Somebody needs to offer that boy a ride in a gyro.
I think he'd dig it.

I has talking to my friend that was there when Baumgartner landed. After talking to him just minutes after, Baumgartner seemed no worse for the experience, only complaining about a tremendous abdominal pain.

Another oddity was after inspecting the capsule once it returned, all seemed to be in order except that the seat cushion was missing!

In fact, that reminds me of one of my high altitude experiences; Back in late 1980's I took my 582 Commander elite to the El Mirage fly-in at the high California desert. I decided to take her up to as high as we could go. It was a mission of discovery, because I wanted to debunk the roomer that for every 1000 feet high, your seat gets 1 inch smaller, so I took a tape-measure with me.
O
I was able to climb to 14,000 feet above sea-level before shutting off the engine and autorotating to the dry lake-bed. I was surprised that my experiment did indeed verify that my seat because 1 inch smaller for every 1000 feet I climbed, but I also unexpectedly found that the tape-measure shrunk at the same rate as the seat!

Last edited:
I was surprised that my experiment did indeed verify that my seal because 1 inch smaller for every 1000 feet I climbed, but I also unexpectedly found that the tape-measure shrunk at the same rate as the seat!

Your "seal" became an inch smaller with every 1,000 ft of altitude?
Around here we refer to that as the pucker factor.