Tires for the Hegar4 rims?!

TansAir

Durdee Dancer
Aircraft
Air Command CLT - Pitbull - Capella UL
When I got my Air Command, it came with some oversized wheels/tires on it (mains). I believe that Air Command offered them at some point in time and simply referred to them as "tundra tires". Anyway, time to change out the tires as they are pretty worn. Should be simple enough (I thought) ... The tire, which looks like a golf cart tire, has "NANCO 15x6.00-6 noted on it (it is 4ply, tubeless). Now it took a little while to find a tire with same tread (basic straight ribs) and ordered them. They are some "TRAC GARD C/R" brand because I could not find anything thru a "NANCO" search. Anyway, although they look to be close in size (and stamped "15x6.00-6"), it has "RIM 4.50" stamped on it (ooops). The Hegar4 rim measures 6.50 inch width so basically that was a spec that I forgot to consider, however, of the few places I could find a "15x6.00-6" tire, I see no mention of rim widths for them. I really don't want to roll the dice and end up with the wrong tires (again). Has anybody found a nice replacement tire for these Hegar4 rims? Thanks for any :help: !!! -Kevin

If you look in my photo album you can see what was on there, kinda.

Last edited:
Kevin, I use Carlisle Tires with my Brake Kits. The 15X6:00X6 4 ply Straight Rib Tire is what I have sold for years.They work fine on a 6" to 6.5" Rim & I feel your new tires will work as well.Some aircraft tire sizes do not match up the same way as the lawn & garden tires.

Last edited:
Kevin, I use Carlisle Tires with my Brake Kits. The 15X6:00X6 4 ply Straight Rib Tire is what I have sold for years.They work fine on a 6" to 6.5" Rim & I feel your new tires will work as well.Some aircraft tire sizes do not match up the same way as the lawn & garden tires.

Hey Rick, Thanks for the info! Maybe I would have better luck using a Carlisle tire, I'll check into that and see what I can find (do they specify for 4.5" rim also?). The original tire on my rim (the NANCO) actually looks like it was meant for a smaller rim width, because the tire bulges out quite a bit further on the sides than the actual tread width. When I removed it from the rim I was hoping to see 4.5" rim stamped on it somewhere so I'd feel like I was on track, but nothing was noted.

Anyway, I would be more than happy to try out these new tires that I have, despite the fact that they have 4.5" noted on them. Only problem is that they were shipped to me with the center of the tread tucked in, and the tire flat like a pancake. So there is no way I can get the sides pulled out far enough to even hope that the bead will touch the rim while I blast air into it.

I watched a documentary a few years ago, some arctic expedition if I remember correctly, and the explorers had a flat tire on their truck. They had same problem getting tire bead seal but came up with interesting solution ... they sprayed a bunch of starter fluid into the tire, stood back about 10FT, sprayed the starter fluid at the tire while lighting the stream, then KERPLOW - instant seal and full tire. Heheheheh ... now where did I put that starter fluid?!:boom:

Kevin, The tires can be a real pain to put on the rim sometimes. I use a rachet tie down strap in the center of the tire to help pull the bead up to the rim.

Kevin, The tires can be a real pain to put on the rim sometimes. I use a rachet tie down strap in the center of the tire to help pull the bead up to the rim.

Hey Rick, Thanks. I have used that method before, if the tire has high point around the center of the tread it works great. But my new ones had the tread center creased inward, and the tire flattened like an acoordion. What I really need is something on the inside push outward on the tread and that could force the side out a bit. Eh, I'm done messing with these tires :whoo: ... I'm going to get some new ones and hope I don't get another set of accordions or I'll have to start a polka band!! -Kevin

Kevin, I can sympathize with your tire mounting problem as I've spent maybe three days total time figuring how to mount Duro ribbed tires (13x5.00-6) on 6" Azuza rims. The tires are from Azuza engieering, too. I have no probem with the company but I doubt they have ever installed one of their own tires on their own rims. My question went unanswered, anyway. There is absolutely NO stretch in the tire. As a former Harley-Davidson journeyman mechanic, I have changed many tires over the years, hundreds, and know all the tricks. In the end brute force and perseverence got them mounted without puncturing a second tube with the help of a couple of simply made tools. You are right when you say the tire has to be forced from the inside. This is not a tab "A" into slot "B" sort of thing. I could probably do it again in about an hour thanks to all the dead ends and mistakes I've encountered. If you haven't completely given up on your tires, I can post the procedure that in the end, worked for me. My tires also had that "accordian" look. Regards, Jim.

Thanks Jim. I put the tire project on back burner for a while, now working on new exhaust system. It will be a week or so before I make purchase of new tires ... or make another attempt to "play the accordion" :wacko:. So if you have a chance to post your procedure I'd be more than happy to give it a try. -Kevin

Put a tube inside the Hager 2 piece rim and inflate it.

The tire bead will slip tightly on the rim and stay there.

Fill 5lbs over the needed air pressure.

Remove the tube by separating the 2 piece Hager rim.

Or you can keep the tube inside.

Good luck.

Another Successful Negotiation!!

Another Successful Negotiation!!

Put a tube inside the Hager 2 piece rim and inflate it.
The tire bead will slip tightly on the rim and stay there.
Fill 5lbs over the needed air pressure.
Remove the tube by separating the 2 piece Hager rim.
Or you can keep the tube inside.
Good luck.

Thanks Rehan,
I gave that method some thought, but there is a disc that goes between the wheel halves that has oring on either side ... I tried to picture using a tube to inflate and then remove when bead seal made, and I could picture that disc becoming a real pain to keep in place (or get back into place) when done so I decided to hold off on that approach for time being. -Kevin

Kevin, I can sympathize with your tire mounting problem as I've spent maybe three days total time figuring how to mount Duro ribbed tires (13x5.00-6) on 6" Azuza rims. The tires are from Azuza engieering, too. I have no probem with the company but I doubt they have ever installed one of their own tires on their own rims. My question went unanswered, anyway. There is absolutely NO stretch in the tire. As a former Harley-Davidson journeyman mechanic, I have changed many tires over the years, hundreds, and know all the tricks. In the end brute force and perseverence got them mounted without puncturing a second tube with the help of a couple of simply made tools. You are right when you say the tire has to be forced from the inside. This is not a tab "A" into slot "B" sort of thing. I could probably do it again in about an hour thanks to all the dead ends and mistakes I've encountered. If you haven't completely given up on your tires, I can post the procedure that in the end, worked for me. My tires also had that "accordian" look. Regards, Jim.

Thanks Jim,
We shall start a support group called "TIRED" (Tire Installers Rehabilitation from Emotional Degradation). But I think I'm on my way to a full recovery ... have new tires received today that look great! ...

Thanks Rick,
I rolled the dice again and purchased a couple of Carlisle tires, despite the fact that the spec noted 4.5 rim size recommended. At least this time the tires were received in box and not flattened. Unmounted they measure 5" from bead edge to bead edge inside ... I can work with that (the previous tires I ordered measured only 2", not a good start).

Anyway, I believe they will go on the rims with minimal effort (fingers crossed). For those that find same problems I had, here is what I end up with and hope this will be the end of it (especially since it's almost time to fly!!!).

:D
15/6.00-6 Carlisle Straight Rib Tires 4ply
Product Code: 5180311
BRAND: CARLISLE
SIZE: 15x6.00-6
TREAD: Straight Rib
DESCRIPTION: 4ply ( load range "B" ) Tube-Less Lawn & Garden Tire NHS
Height: 14.5 inches
Width: 6.1 inches
Rim Diameter: 6 inch
Recommended Rim Widths: 4.50 inches wide ***** I guess this spec can be deceptive, but shouldn't be issue ***
Maximum Weight Capacity: 570 lbs. per tire @ 30 psi.

I got them for decent price (a pair) on Ebay, seller is "atvmaster" for $50.63 + $14.14 shipping from TN to IL (flat rate or calculated freight I don't remember off hand). Decent price compared to a few other sources I found, good communications and faster than posted shipping time.

Thanks to all you guys for your help and suggestions!! And now I roll (literally!) -Kevin :yo:

carlisle tires

carlisle tires

Glad the tire problem is fixed, Kevin and by coincidence, I have a pair of the Carlisle tires 15/6-6.00 and was wondering what rims would fit. You supplied the answer. Thanks, Jim.

Glad the tire problem is fixed, Kevin and by coincidence, I have a pair of the Carlisle tires 15/6-6.00 and was wondering what rims would fit. You supplied the answer. Thanks, Jim.

No problem Jim, and Thanks! Glad I can pass along positive results, good luck to you!! -Kevin

Finally godder-done!!

I used some ultra black RTV to budder up the bead and inner rim before installation, to ensure no slow leaks around these tubeless tires. So not only will I have good tread now, but also may not have to keep shooting in some air after a week or two of sitting. Another nice thing about having used the RTV is that once the tire (while filling with air) started to creep up onto the inner rim edge, it went very smoothly and "popped" into place at about 30psi. So the RTV, while still wet, served as a lubricant when making the bead seal. I didn't even think about that until they popped on. If I didn't use the RTV, it may have taken a much higher pressure to get them on (the rubber on the alum tends to be very tacky, especially after I prepped them (cleaned & degreased them)).

Anyway, that's one (rather two) more things to scratch off the pre-season maintenance list!!

Now, where did I put that snow shovel :puke:
-Kevin

Attachments

• DSC04263b.jpg
    DSC04263b.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 3