Accept - adapt- and fly

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
I took a much needed flight today...it was only 12 degrees...but it was very comfortable inside the cabin. The Turbinator was performing effortlessly in that thick air. One advantage to winter flying is that there are no bugs to wipe off the blades till up in late March. I have flown many flights since the bugs quit flying around the first of November.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZRqtlFgBOI&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_onYj_HWgo&feature=c4-overview&list=UUXZAO9NlkN9JZrM_c1hmdoQ

Stan

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 0
Stan,
Good to hear from you. Hope all is well. Laurie and i continue to keep you in our thougths and prayers after your time away post.

Wishing you a happy new year.

Looking real good Stan, you were holding altitude perfectly in those bank.

Rotor-raptures RULE!!!

Rotor-raptures RULE!!!

:yo:Good ADM Stan .... to wait a bit until the emotional storm subsided ...somewhat....THEN do what you need to do for best mental health therapy!!!
Glad to hear you are back Turbinating that thick Illinois winter air! :peace:

Now that's what I'm talk'n about... Love the video watching how smooth you are on the controls. Thanks for sharing.
And the sites just not the same without Stan the MAN!

Stan
It was good to talk to you this morning on the phone. I am very glad you went for a good relaxing mind fix!!! I know having a machine that fly’s is my great escape as well. Holy Moly my teeth are still shattering just looking at those pictures. It snowed a little here this morning and was cold all day. Awesome pictures by the way.. I will watch the videos later tonight from my YouTube channel.. Way to go!!!

John- If it's sunny out, that cabin is comfy even when I flew it at 4 degrees f
. Of course I have a winter coat on, but it's unzipped and mainly for if I have to do a forced landing out in the middle of no where.

Just Saturday it was 55 degrees , but I was not ready to fly. Today, I was sitting talking to you on the phone, and right after our conversation, I rolled the Turbinator out and just hearing that whoommphhh of the turbine getting its internal fire lit, it also lit my fire also.

I lifted to a hover and it felt under smooth control and away I went.

The first video clearly shows just after I am moving forward, you can see the helicopter outrunning its forward vortice with the leaves being spun in front of the cabin. That's the onset of translational lift, and you can feel a shudder, and a drop of collective is needed or it will just start climbing.

Love flying just as much as ever.

Flying is great medicine Stan. We do indeed take what life gives, good and bad, deal with it as best we can, and give thanks for that which gives us joy.

May the New Year hold something good for us all.

That was great, feels like I was flying. Are those lakes in the second video good for ice-scating?

Kai.

Kai- I used to play hockey on that very lake when I was a teenager. We had a friend who weighed over 400 pounds. He could not skate but we used him asa goalie. We let him go out on the ice first to test it.

If you noticed, I flew directly over that frozen pond instead of near the shore when it's thawed. The ice would easily hold up my chopper if I had to auto down to it.

Stan

Local knowledge ....

Local knowledge ....

Kai- I used to play hockey on that very lake when I was a teenager. We had a friend who weighed over 400 pounds. He could not skate but we used him asa goalie. We let him go out on the ice first to test it.

If you noticed, I flew directly over that frozen pond instead of near the shore when it's thawed. The ice would easily hold up my chopper if I had to auto down to it.

Stan

IS definitely useful ..... as I was watching your flight over the frozen ponds I found myself thinking what I would do if the engine went quiet!!! ????? Could I make it to the ground from that height :confused:.... then I decided you were either very confident in your engine ... or taking a calculated risk ... landing on ice never occurred to me ... it doesn't get THAT strong here in KS so it didn't occur to me as a possibility! :cool: ..... still if it was weaker nearer the shoreline .... & you couldn't fly it away ..... retrieving it could be a challenge! ;)

Chris- It is very thick right now. We had some snow free very frigid temps. Actually I could have easily still landed off to the right in that flat area of grass.

Stan,

I am just glad to hear that you are flying again. Life has a way of throwing challenges at us and some of them can really test us to our very core. It is easy to let life's challenges distract us to the point where we loose focus on anything but the challenge, and I hate to see that happen to anyone. Life is always going to have ups and downs so anyone that isn't facing some serious challenge at the moment is just living on borrowed time and their turn is coming soon. Being able to deal with what life throws at you and still have a life besides the challenge isn't easy, but for those that are able to manage it, life becomes a little easier. I know you have many friends here on the forum that are thinking of you and remembering you in their prayers. That can be an incredibly powerful source available to help you through your time of trial. Let us know if there is anything we can do. We've got your back!

Doug Barker
PRA Pres.

Today, I was sitting talking to you on the phone, and right after our conversation, I rolled the Turbinator out and just hearing that whoommphhh of the turbine getting its internal fire lit, it also lit my fire also.

I lifted to a hover and it felt under smooth control and away I went.

and you can feel a shudder, and a drop of collective is needed or it will just start climbing.

Love flying just as much as ever.

Stan,
Glad we talked, and I’m glad you went flying and posted about it, I would have joined you but I had to take William to the dentist. I need a good helicopter fix myself, maybe the next couple days I can get my fix.. The MH-1 has a great heater and you can fly it in a t shirt once it's warmed up.. It’s the getting it out part that I hate when it’s this cold. I feel the need the need to shutter.. I love flying just as much..

Stan,
I haven't met you (as yet), maybe someday, but I can identify with you. I flew both my gyro and my airplane yesterday because it was a little warmer. No one could wipe the grin off my face when I got back. Did a few loups and rolls with the Sonex, but could only last 30 minutes in the Vortex because of temperature.

I have found that flying is the best treatment a person can receive for any infirmity. I speak from experience and try to fly as soon after a treatment that the weather allows. (temperature wise)