A Visit to the Maule Factory

willisbr

Aircraft
Maule MT7-235; RAF 2000 (sold)
Kim and I toured the Maule factory last week in Moultrie, GA. It's not rotor-craft related, but still a neat experience to share in the off-topic.

We left early before sun-up and drove about four hours to Moultrie. We were met by Brent Maule just before noon at the factory. Brent was kind enough to give us a very thorough tour, taking us to every production station throughout about three very large hangar/warehouses. There were numerous airplanes in production at various stages, including one for the Navy, an experimental, and one in repair from Sun 'n Fun. I was immediately excited that I was able to stick my head in some of the frames as the craftsmen and women were hands-on putting these things together. The workers were kind enough to stop briefly and explain what they were doing at the time.

One of the neatest things I remember was the large frame jig. It looked like a contraption out of one of the Saw movies. It was a large box frame with numerous clamps welded all over the place. The idea is the craftsman lays out tubes inside the jig, clamps it all down, and then welds it all together. Then the frame is removed and then put on a rotisserie for the final touches. After the frame is complete, it's off to powdercoat next door. Once the paint is done, workers start running cables, wires, lines, chain, insulation, etc. Once the majority of this is done, it's sent to fabric for it's clothing. This was a neat booth. The fabric is glued on and then ironed to bring it taut to the frame. There were a ton of irons in there and a spooky looking shopping cart with glue all over it. Pretty interesting process. Next, the panel. The instruments are put in last but the harness and brackets can be done ahead of time. All of the wiring is done on site, custom harnesses. I got to watch a guy work on one of the custom harnesses. Pretty neat. The fuselage is rolled into the paint booth for a good coat and bake. Interior fabric is all custom made onsite as well. We saw some seats being made, 100% leather option. Very nice and soft stuff. The wings are fitted last. So off we went to see where they were even made. I saw a few wings in the making, some also being fitted for fuel tanks. The tanks are made on site of course, and so we even saw someone checking the new tanks for leaks. Once most of this stuff is done, the plane gets its final touches. We didn't get much into this because it was time for lunch! We had lunch with Brent and his parents Ray and Rautgunde Maule.

After lunch, we went next door to where training and maintenance takes place at Maule Flight. I sat in a few completed Maules and oriented myself to the different trim options. They pulled out one of the tri-gears and geared Kim and I up for a flight. Ray was kind enough to give me some dual instruction time in the tri-gear. My neighbor owns a Maule so I was slightly familiar with the takeoff and landing procedures. Ray walked me through the paces and in no time, we were in the air. We got out of the pattern and he showed me some of the slow flight, turning, and stalling characteristics of the Maule. What?! The Maule stalls?? When? Very impressive aircraft! After some maneuvering, we got back in the pattern and did a few landings. I really like this aircraft. Additionally, Ray seems to be a really great instructor. He had this calm presence in the aircraft. He made minor corrections with me and told me calmly what he was doing with his inputs. He explained in detail what and why he would make certain inputs. Once he explained something, he would ask if I understood before he moved on to something else. Once we were on the ground, I taxied to the hangar and sadly had to get out. We swapped contact information and courtesies. I was even gifted a Maule ball-cap for my visit. We had a great day! A day to remember. Now to pull some strings and make my latest dream come true...

I've posted some of the highlight pics. For the full album, check out: Maule Factory Visit.

Attachments

• IMG_4639.jpg
    IMG_4639.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4631.jpg
    IMG_4631.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4642.jpg
    IMG_4642.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4658.jpg
    IMG_4658.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4629.jpg
    IMG_4629.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4625.jpg
    IMG_4625.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4626.jpg
    IMG_4626.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4630.jpg
    IMG_4630.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
More pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_4645.jpg
    IMG_4645.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4656.jpg
    IMG_4656.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4655.jpg
    IMG_4655.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4651.jpg
    IMG_4651.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4662.jpg
    IMG_4662.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4663.jpg
    IMG_4663.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4673.jpg
    IMG_4673.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4611.jpg
    IMG_4611.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 0
More pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_4604.jpg
    IMG_4604.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4605.jpg
    IMG_4605.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4679.jpg
    IMG_4679.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4683.jpg
    IMG_4683.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4693.jpg
    IMG_4693.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4694.jpg
    IMG_4694.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4706.jpg
    IMG_4706.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4714.jpg
    IMG_4714.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 0
More pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_4740.jpg
    IMG_4740.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4753.jpg
    IMG_4753.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4764.jpg
    IMG_4764.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4767.jpg
    IMG_4767.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4773.jpg
    IMG_4773.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 0
Hi Brian;

The flight school here at Henderson State University uses Maules for their flight school. So every day I get to see them land at my airport. Those are some great pics you have and some great family memories. Thanks for sharing.

Get the checkbook out! :D
Maule has a great history, There was one rotting away at the covington airport years ago, probably still there.....
I usually go to Moultrie about once a year for the big auto swap meet. If Im not parked inside, (I have a friend who is a vendor) I usually park at the Maule hangar :)

Attachments

• Clearsthehangar.jpe
    Clearsthehangar.jpe
    24.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Brent, they started making tri-gears about 10 years ago. And insurance companies rejoice. Or cried. Whatever made them more money.

Scott, I see you snapped the same picture I did if that hanging picture as well. STOL? Yes! haha

Hi Brian;

The flight school here at Henderson State University uses Maules for their flight school. So every day I get to see them land at my airport. Those are some great pics you have and some great family memories. Thanks for sharing.

I was Director of Aviation at Henderson for 18 years. We bought 11 tri-gear (MXT-7) Maules, and use them for primary, advanced and instrument trainers. They are TOUGH airplanes, continue to provide excellent service, and the best part of the story -- the factory and the Maule family have been super to work with over the years. Students find the Maule challenging to fly, as they, unlike most of the other trainers, require considerable rudder to counteract adverse yaw from aileron displacement, and have to be kept in pitch trim to be landed smoothly. The good side of that is that the student who has mastered the Maule can step into most anything else, and find it a piece of cake! I figure a Maule pilot can be checked out in a C172 in an hour or so, while the reverse requires considerably more time.

Dr. Rob

Last edited: