How long turbine lives without intercooler :)

twistair

Living in the Skies
Aircraft
none own :( currently flying Calidus mostly
Total Flight Time
Don't know exactly, ca. 3000 hours
I've downloaded one more videofile showing the Hunter flying in fresh wind. Good smoke on final is the result of turbine intercooler failure. Pilot had no radio in this flight so Vic was to signal him about problems in good old mode.

Downloaded to
ftp://www.prachapter34.com
username: rotorpilot
password: Rotor34

go to folder entitled "new uploads"
filename is turbine1.wmv , size 24+ Mb in WindowsMedia

For those with slow connections it's available in smaller size, see turbine1sm.wmv - this one is about 5 Mb size

Enjoy ;)

Re:How long turbine lives without intercooler :)

I don't know if it was just the camera' s distortion of sound, but there was definitely some kind of metallic vibration, almost like a bearing out of whack. I hope it's not too expensive to replace that turbo unit. :-

No, Matt, that's definetely sound distortion. I shot this video myself so I can second there were no suspicious sounds.
The Hunter's prop is very noisy due to high tip speeds so the camera caught only sharpest part of sound spectrum. It's usual thing when almost any engine noise is recorded by primitive mic.
Sure, fixture wasn't expensive. This was shot last spring but I've bought the video capture equipment and powerful enough comp just recently so I hope to transfer much more videos.
I'd like also to thank Tim for creating a site where we can store these files - it's a very good step since everybody knows that many things are better to see once than to hear about them a dozen.

It would be great to get someone with some professional camera and sound equipement to do some high quality filming of our awesome flying machines!
I would like to say AMEN to the comments about Tim. It is so nice having a place to post video!!!!! :D ;D 8)

What about Dan Leslie? I don't know much about his company, but these short samples of his videos which are available at his website show the real professional and - important! - a man who really loves aviation.