tandem pitbull/similar design

afontana14

Hello, I'm thinking of embarking on a gyro project and was looking for some input on taking something like this:
26524d1378812185-pitbull-gyro-look-like-concept-gyro-b.jpg

13790d1315059632-pitbull-gyro-look-like-concept-dsc01473.jpg

And lengthening the "fuselage" slightly to accommodate a second seat in tandem. What structural considerations should I be taking into account? It should be noted that I'm still in the learning stage with gyroplanes, having had my first lesson just the other day. Thanks everybody.

Aiden

Welcome to the Rotary Wing Forum Aiden.

Welcome to the Rotary Wing Forum Aiden.

Hello, I'm thinking of embarking on a gyro project and was looking for some input on taking something like this:
26524d1378812185-pitbull-gyro-look-like-concept-gyro-b.jpg

13790d1315059632-pitbull-gyro-look-like-concept-dsc01473.jpg

And lengthening the "fuselage" slightly to accommodate a second seat in tandem. What structural considerations should I be taking into account? It should be noted that I'm still in the learning stage with gyroplanes, having had my first lesson just the other day. Thanks everybody.

Aiden

In my opinion the reason most tractor gyroplanes have body work up front is because of the prop blast.

The air behind the prop may be moving about twice the indicated airspeed.

I feel you will want to fly solo from the back seat so the structure needs to be strong enough to support your weight.

I feel you may be better off learning to fly a more conventional gyroplane before you try to design things out that may not be a problem.

Thanks for the replies. I fully intend to learn on a conventional gyro, but I've always thought the tractor configuration was interesting.

Helicopter Ed's TRAG gyro

Helicopter Ed's TRAG gyro

Does anyone know if it is possible to obtain specs for Ed Alderfer's TRAG gyro from the mid-80s? I've always wished I could get plans of this design and build one, but I've checked over the years and never found any available. I recall even speaking to him once years ago, but he didn't have any plans to market the design.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hel...sch&q=tractor+gyroplane&imgrc=GH3zFdBbUqhomM:

All you need now is to buy my Pitbull and wrap the body around it and your all set... looks like you have nice amount of rudder I was planing change mine over to twin tail... keep us informed of your progress