Flying in class B with no transponder Not Good!

Texasautogyro

Gyro Master Instructor
Aircraft
AutoGyro MTO Sport/Cessna 172
Total Flight Time
6400 with over 2400 in gyro
I am starting this post because of something that was done that should not have been.

Class B airspace has a MODE C ring. Inside that ring it is required under normal conditions to have a transponder with Mod C or better in the USA.
:plane:

This is because of large aircraft flying in and out of the congested airspace. The air traffic control can then see you for vertical spacing issues.
When you have no transponder they just see a blip and cannot tell how high you are! They therefor might have to divert large aircraft around you not knowing who or what you are especially if you do not communicate with them.

I had this happen in Dallas. I had to fly in a very non standard course to stay away from an unknown. Also this was done not long ago by gyro pilots near my area. Now if you have to cross for emergency reasons fine!
Or if you call ahead and let them know and communicate to them no foul either. Usually they just ask the reason for the flight and assigned altitude and course so they can tag your blip! Then tell people you are at XYZ heading and altitude for spacing.

Its not hard but is sure important for everyone to know the procedures and comply! Do not just wing it.

For heaven sakes do not fly your drone in class B ever. :laser:Two large planes 777 and an airbus reported and almost hit one on the south side of Dallas 2 weeks ago at 9000 ft bright red the size of a basketball.

Many aircraft are exempt from the Mode C veil requirement, so one must be aware of that and maintain vigilance. Gliders, balloons, and old hand-prop Cubs and the like (certified without an electrical system) can zip around within the veil but outside the class B boundary perfectly legally.

How these aircraft will be affected when the ADS-B mandate takes effect in a few years isn't yet clear.

There are a few bizarre spots where the FAA got so greedy with claiming class B airspace that it extends beyond the 30 mile radius (as on the south side of DEN), so one can be outside the veil but inside class B. That was not anticipated when the rule was written.

Good posts guys!!!