Computer generated reconstruction of Phoenix helicopter crash

Aren't there rules for altitude separation going into a coverage site?
To be quite honest Ed this has become such a dangerous job the TV stations are pushing the pilots to do things that are illegal and unsafe. Now if you don't do it I guarantee you tomorrow they will hire one that will. As of right now about 700 high time pilots are waiting in line to jump in. It takes a lifetime to train to fly these things and 10 seconds of inattention for us to kill ourselves. Sensation hunting is the name of the game. I was watching a couple of months ago the chopper flying by tornadoes. ???? I mean.... Lord.... There is really no altitude separation quote on quote. The tower will grant you "operating in the area at own risk". And some of the pilots are too ignorant to use 123.025. Sad sad situation. And of course the TV companies are too cheap to invest into an anti collision warning system. Bastards. So this was really just a whole bunch of things going wrong at once.

I wondered who they sued and what they sued them for?

The TV stations? The pilots? The helicopter manufacture? The Police? The FAA? The mechanic who maintained the helicopter? The corporation who owned the Helicopter and leased it to the TV station?

I suspect they were all named.

It is hard to imagine that anything in the images intimidated anyone into settling.

It was not hard to see that the helicopters ran into each other.

It was not hard to tell from the video each helicopter was shooting who was moving and in what direction.

I feel it is unfortunate that cartoons such as this might actually influence a jury to blame someone for this tragic accident.

Thank you, Vance

What are the odds that they'd each be at EXACTLY the same altitude and on a collision course?
Plus or minus roughly 30 feet and this would have been a miss.
Tell me...Ya' think that this was "meant to be" or what..?
Sad indeed.

It appears that the helico pilot that ram into the other was looking also down at the chase taking place. A pilot should always be looking forward. Having said that, if find myself looking down often when I fly over beautiful terrain. I should be more careful. You could not only hit other aircraft but birds and angels.