Gyrodrive PSRU

cbonnerup

More Senior Every Day
Aircraft
Building a Gyro, modified J4B2
Total Flight Time
12 hrs PP; others as available
Hello,
Anyone care to comment on these redrive plans? Had them in my files for a while and was cleaning up.
Only the first 12 pages are posted. If any one wants the complete set I will forward by PM.
Can't seem to find any data on the web, except for some arcane posts in a yahoo group.

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

• redrive_split_1-3.pdf
    140 KB · Views: 27
  • redrive_split_4-6.pdf
    115.8 KB · Views: 17
  • redrive_split_7-9.pdf
    101.7 KB · Views: 12
  • redrivesplit_10-12.pdf
    65.1 KB · Views: 15
Me too!
email address removed:D

Last edited:
Chris,
I read over the document. Personally, I think it is very well written instructions for the Do-it-yourself type of builder. The drawings were a bit hazey off the printer, however, it looks like there is enough of information to build one of these units. I think it would be a real good builders thread, if someone under takes the project. I may try it this Winter.
I especailly like the short snout on this design.
Thank you for the information.

Hi Mark

The main thing I see here is no provision for torsional resonance and that will eat the planetary gears in a heart beat, or did I miss something??

Tony

Hi Mark

The main thing I see here is no provision for torsional resonance and that will eat the planetary gears in a heart beat, or did I miss something??

Tony

That was my first question also, but I didn't want to sound negative about such a great contribution. I think I see a"work around" for that, but I would need to study the drawings more closely ...

I don't know about Torsional Resonance, I just like what I read as far as it being a project to build a PSUR. If I can get some things out of the way, I want to try my luck at building it. I'm sure there is a way to dampen it at the attachment to the PTO. Maybe not. I just appreciated the step by step way it was laid out.
I have a weber to start on a Megasquirt and you know how time consuming that can be.
I am glad you and Pete pointed it out before, I ordered the alum. lol

Mark

I'm not sure where I have seen that article before, but I think it may be in one of the EAA "alternate engines" books, will look later

Tony

One of the best stories and history of development of planetary re-drives is the book written by Tracy Crook on his work on the Mazda rotary and the planetary re-drive.

Tony

dreaded torsion

dreaded torsion

Mark

I'm not sure where I have seen that article before, but I think it may be in one of the EAA "alternate engines" books, will look later

Tony

Possibly,
One of the older threads I found was from a 30 year EAA member who claimed "that he had never seen one in use" in the context of seeing it before.
If i was to tackle this build at the moment, I would certainly use a beefier flywheel rather than a flex-plate. One could incorporate a diesel tranny dampener but fairly heavy.

Also, please PM me for the plans rather than post on the forum - makes it easier to keep up with the requests.

Thanks all,
Chris