Helicopter / horse and buggy

Very interesting day for myself and my Amish buddies. Pictures and story tomorrow. Very rewarding trip. I had to step on it coming home to get home at dark. I was going 110 mph and still had collective left. Stan

Last edited:
Ray Pierce ..... I find Ezekiel's "Whirl wheels" an interesting topic. I spent some time studying it a few years ago. Some quotes below :

Ezekiel 10:13 ..... I heard the wheels being called “the whirling wheels.”
Ezekiel 1:16 ..... Each appeared to be made like a wheel intersecting a wheel.
Ezekiel 1:17 ..... As they moved, they would go in any one of the four directions the creatures faced; the wheels did not change direction as the creatures went.
Ezekiel 1:18 .... Their rims were high and awesome, and all four rims were full of eyes all around.

My helicopter brain always pictured two spinning gyroscopes perfectly intersecting each other at 90* (not possible of course) . I think it was the Movie "Contact" that did an excellent Hollywood rendition of the concept.

We all know the physics of gyroscopic precession of a single spinning object , .... a 90* reaction of course , now what if you had two perfectly intersecting gyros @ 90* .... would they cancel each other out .... or release an "unknown power".

This is the stuff of Art Bell of course , and believe it or not I was successful in getting through to his Coast to Coast AM show to pose the question. Art loved it. I have a scratchy old audio tape of my call to the show somewhere.

While I am at it , I should mention I got through to Art Bell 4-5 different times and recorded the audio. HOW ?? Its a secret. But i will reveal that to be in a lineup of millions of callers trying to get through ... you need a precise atomic powered world clock (like Art used) , two accurate stop watches , a demon dialer , and a knowledge of when Art gets back to his microphone after a cigarette during the bottom of the hour commercial break. The rest of the information is housed deep underground in a safe at Area 51 (which does not exist of course)

Anyway , back to Ezekiel , he was a confirmed Old Testament prophet and it is an interesting study to note the accuracy of the fulfilled portions. Some are yet future.

Many of his writings are set as metaphors , hard reading and even harder to understand sometimes . I always picture him as almost like a long haired wild man coming out of the Arabian Desert , burrs in his hair , unshaven , eating grasshoppers and drinking Camel pee and making bizarre predictions for Israel..

Yet history shows the accuracy of the completed portions . Some remain yet future. I understand portions of it , but not all.

Some portions of Ezekiel sound like descriptions of a UFO type flying craft. Like I said , bizarre concepts recorded as scripture. Intriguing to say the least.

I think the Prophet Ezekiel would love us rotary wing pilots.

Art Bell too :)

Very interesting day for myself and my Amish buddies. Pictures and story tomorrow. Very rewarding trip. I had to step on it coming home to get home at dark. I was going 110 mph and still had collective left. Stan

Come on Stan ... you are amongst friends here .... who are you trying to kid ??
We know darn well you are slow and sluggish after all those ribs , and your helicopter was over-max weight on the flight home.

Cant fool us Stan . Nice try. :)

We look forward to your report and pictures.

I think the Prophet Ezekiel would love us rotary wing pilots.
Do rotary wing pilots already have a patron saint to guard them? If not Ezekiel seems to be the number one candidate...;-)

Last edited:
Guys- I am away from my computer at my shop where I will post pictures and describe a very interesting experience for myself and the Amish yesterday. I came home exilerated, full of the days adventure of fullfilling the Amish invite to have me fly my helicopter down to their hogroast, full of filet-o-hog that god himself must have prepared, and full of excitement as that turbine lit off taking me back to my world at a speed to get bck at the edge of darkness. I will post sometime today the full story. Not trying to do a "Vance" quality report, that I would be uncapable of, but this experience for me needs me to not leave any detail out. Back later with the story and pictures I was allowed to take. Stan

Heres my adventure visiting the Amish and their hogroast that they invited me to fly my helicopter to. Warning, I do not have any pictures of the Amish by strict request, so this is a lengthy post to try to paint a picture of these beautiful people.

My Helicycle had been pre-flighted thoroughly with extra care taken to my fuel flow check and inspecting my fuel filter in my Andair gascolator. The fuel flow check was normal, and the screen was crystal clear. My biobor additive has cured the algae growth.

I polished my blades with Purple...and waxed my cabin, knowing I was doing this for myself and not trying to impress the Amish. They would be more impressed if it were less shiny. I like a clean ship.

I took off an hour early so I could visit more one on one with Wilbur Miller and his family. I departed out of my chopper channel and buzzed my home letting Barbara know I was enroute. I had a nice tail wind and was indicating 90 but my GPS showed over 100 all the way down. Lots of combines were out harvesting and the 1st picture shows a soybean field being tag teamed by two combines and some grain carts.

My GPS steered me straight as an arrow to the Amish home as I had their coordinates plotted with my last visit there by wheels. It constantly read out me eta and how many feet I was off track. How easy can navigation get? On que...there was their home, and I had already lowered my altitude from 1500 feet down to 500 feet. I passed over their home and saw Wilbur and his kids waving to me. I did a high recon...then a low recon....and was satisfied with my landing spot....and then did a nice gentle turn....headed into the wind and proceeded to land in his fresh mowed pasture he had prepared for me. I felt like the first time the Lunar Module with Neil Armstrong was piloting did not like the terrain as he got down lower. In my case the fresh cut hay was really going to blow some , so I just hover taxied over it and landed in the corner of his pristine yard. Love this ability to change landing sites. I was greeted with Wilbur, his wife and 5 kids as I spooled down the turbine, and let the rotors come to a halt. They excitedly ran over and we shook hands, and then started a lot of questions and answers about my helicopter. Wilburs kids ranged from 2 years old to 12 years old. They all were just cautiously staring at this weird spacecraft like machine that had invaded their property.

Wilbur found it very interesting and he commented the Amish love trades that work with their own hands and build something. He made a note that there were several trades that I had to know to build this helicopter such as metal working, electrical, hydraulic line work, painting, and just getting all the above to fly, and plus be able to fly it. Wilbur was asking all kinds of questions about the turbine, the rotor, and how the controls all move everything and why. I simplified the explanation for them and said to look at this machine as a big air pump. The rotor pumps air down to oppose the weight, the tail rotor pumps air sideways to oppose the torque going to the rotor.....the pilot balances this all out and she flies great!

He was very amazed at the GPS. I explained as I pointed to a bush of his, that I could give that bush an address and fly within 10 feet of it with the accuracy coming from the satellites. I saw a head shaking in disbelief.

Wilburs wife was very reserved in commenting, as you can tell they let their husbands speak first. She did ask "You trust flying this?" I confidently and without hesitation said "absolutely, I have faith in myself and the machine"

Their 6 year old daughter was just standing there by my door and I could read her mind. I asked her "do you want to sit in the helicopter? " She never said a word and nervously looked at her dad with here beautiful eyes saying more than words could convey to him. He smiled and lifted her in the helicopter , and again, those eyes and her smile said so much pleasure was being experienced by her...yet I still do not know what her voice sounds like. All that I heard was her heavy breathing from excitement. It may have well have been an alien spaceship that she was sitting in.

I wispered softly to Wilbur that I do not mean in any way of influencing his family in a negative way by being so passionate about my helicopter. Wilbur said..."dont worry, we are loving it"

Next I was told to just have free roam of the place including his cabinet shop while he got ready for the hogroast and the soon to be arriving large number of Amish friends in their horse and buggies.

I toured the horse barn and was amazed to see a nice Bobcat loader in the corner. Then the eldest son came in and carried out a nice Honda generator for the power needed for the hotplates and so on. I was watching the horses and a pony eating on some fresh hay and was mesmerized by how much side grinding a horse uses with his teeth to grind the hay up in his mouth. I later asked Wilbur about how long their teeth last, and he commented that a few times in their lives, a horse will have his teeth rebuilt. Amazing is all I could think! Later questions about a typical cross country for a horse and buggy could be 15 miles, and usually stays in the Amish community. Wilbur had an amish friend stop by and I could hear the man asking questions about what the helicopter was doing in his yard. The man soon took off and I found out later that this was the typical "nosy" neighbor that many of us had. He always comes down everytime anything is different.

I continued my self guided tour and went to check out the cabinet shop. Heres another stark contrast that is unique. First of all...here I am flying in by invite to their home in a by their opinion I am sure...an extravagent machine, in comparison to their horse and buggy......but now there is a role reversal. Here I am, Mr. Modern age man looking at this pristine shop, outfitted with immaculate hand made cabinets sporting all kinds of hand planes, chisels, saws, etc, but also in collaberation with the finest high tech table saws, dust collecting equipment, CNC routers, ventilated spray booths, and pneumatic tools that puts my stairshop back 50 years by comparison. I was blown away. I came away feeling tool intimidated, but on the other hand still holding my head high for what I produce with much less equipment. I actually felt Amish to them in comparison. Go figure?

The Amish started arriving via horse and buggy, bicycles, pony drawn carts,and yes , some even being chauffered in by auto. They came in from four directions.....and each and everyone made a bee line to the helicopter. I went over and just commented only when asked, as I did not want to be pushing my interests. But plenty of questions soon showed how passionate I was and how thankful I was to be living in an age to experience such a machine. They asked all kinds of questions and I enjoyed explaining the answers to them. They also loved the display of handwork that such an exotic machine to them takes to be made. I never was challenged in any way any hints of being extravagent flying such a machine...but they are a very kind, non pushy type of people....and out of their sincere goodness of their heart and out of respect, they keep those thoughts to themselves.....in my opinion anyway. I mentioned my reluctance to display what I feel has to be an extravagence to them, and then one elderly gentleman commented that its ok, you were brought up differently. Boy, was that ever inviting a comeback remark, but it was said with such humbleness and sincerity, that I didnt bat an eye and just returned the same respect and dignity that was given to me.....and just never commented back. I was on their turf, invited, and this is not the time to have the slightest exchange of difference of opinions. I love these people and their ways, and they show the most respect towards people of other beliefs than any other group I know.

Next thing I know....they wanted to set up a volleyball net, but the only place available was where I had invaded their property with my helicopter. So, I just said with glee...".looks like I will have to move it" WOW!, did they start moving back. I was asked if I could demonstrate what it really can do....and thats all I need to hear. I told them that I was going to fly very conservatively, but I will gladly honor that request and give them a little airshow. I climbed in and the look of the long line of hats and bonnets all staring at me was one I would have given $100 to take a picture of...but I knew no way! I lit the turbine and you should have seen these people. I cant explain it...but there was lots of smiles and movement like they didnt know whether to run and hug it , or get the heck out of the way. I spun the rotors up, and then started giving it more collective. I had to laugh as I was getting light on the skids....the ladies clutching their long dresses to their legs as my outflow was moving some cotton and buttons. I lifted to a 2 foot hover....did a couple of slow 360's, sideways flight, backwards flight with a pirouette...then did a takeoff thru translational lift over the beanfield. I came back with a rotor barking tight turn.....then went up wind and came back with at least a 120 mph tailwind assisted low level pass at about 20 feet above them. I flew a few more minutes then did a tight turn followed by an aggressive quickstop into a new landing site in their pasture. I found a pretty clean area and finished blowing it clean with my setdown. The Amish were all right there as I spooled down the turbine as it wound down from 62000 rpm going through several resonant whistling cylcles that I love coming from a spooling down turbine.

They all gathered around like it was the football in a football huddle, and I answered questions from my seat. What was that whistling sound ?,I was asked by one man. Then several more questions from a very excited group. The woman mostly remained mute however.

After that, the volleyball started....then I heard gunfire! There were several Amish men shooting hand thrown clay pigeons with shotguns! I had NO IDEA any Amish had firearms!

Next came their promise to let me take a picture of a horse and buggy by my helicopter. Wilbur showed me how he hitches his horse up to the buggy. I was watching every move and as he was lacing his reins through the brass eyelets...I commented that that was similar to my control rods going up to my rotor! Wilbur just chuckled...but then he broadsided me with a comment later. He was looking under his horse inspecting everything...and came up saying...she is all pre-flighted! I burst out laughing at his obvious excellent humor along with knowing some aviation terminology. I was impressed!

Wilbur led the horse over towards the helicopter by hand. The horse was about 100 feet away and started rearing her head nervously, and stomping her hind feet out of sinc. I asked Wibur if some bugs or something is biting her, he said he didnt know. Just then I commented that she was spooked by my helicopter...and after my wild low airshow, is really nervous about it. Wilbur agreed and then climbed into the buggy and grabbed the reins to settle her down. He kept easing her closer and then finally about 50 feet , he asked if that was close enough. I said " Its fine....I dont want her getting hurt while she is damaging my helicopter hoofing it !" I got my camera out and asked if he wanted out of the buggy. He just shut the door and said its fine. I took some pictures, then proceeded on the other side if my helicopter looking back at the horse. He closed the front window with a dark screen and as I was taking a picture...several Amish were scattering out of the way fearing I would have them in the picture. I raised my hand and assured them I would make sure they werent in view. The horse got as close as about 30 feet for the picture...and thus makes my helicopter small in the background.

I finished taking the pictures and gave Wilbur a very heartfelt thank-you. Then he asked if I wanted a ride in the buggy. I was honored and hopped right in with my camera, and of course asked if I could take a shot of the horse and the helicopter from the buggy. He obliged and theres the picture here in this post.

All the Amish were gathered full circle around my helicopter and I told Wilbur..."You know I say whats on my mind....and I have to say this. I would never take that picture that is burning in my eyes right now of all your beautiful people gathered around my helicopter....but boy I wish I could ask.

Wilbur just nodded that it would not be good. I then had to ask "what happens when someone ignorant of your wishes just snaps a picture anyway?" He commented that they just treat them kindly, knowing they dont understand.

Now....you all know I love hogroast...but I wanted to dwell on these Amish people I have really grown attached to...and I believe the feeling is mutual.

The hog tasted like God himself picked out the best hog and cooked it for 3 days. It was amazing. Thats all I will say about that.

My time to leave and get home just at darkness had arrived. Just like I mentioned thousands of words ago how when I first landed here...I felt like Neil Armstrong having to pilot his lunar lander to another better landing site.....now I felt like Neil Armstrong sitting on the moon hoping the lunar module lights its fire for its return home. In my case, if my turbine didnt light, it would not have been as catastrophic, as I probably would have been a guest at the Amish home....but I didnt want that to happen. My turbine had always lit before, never has it failed to light....so just one more time I thought as I pushed the start button...and the start fuel button.

All the Amish were in a long line watching me take off. I waved out the door..and said a very heartfelt "God bless you all" and proceeded to light the turbine. I was blessed with that whoompphhhh sound as the kerosene ignites in the burner can.....causing that firery inferno that will drive my turbine to 62000 rpm and get me home. I soon lifted to a hover, and departed for my nice flight home. I had a headwind going back and the last picture shows I was pushing close to 110 all the way home...and was maintainging 95 plus mph on my gps. I arrived just at the edge of darkness and buzzed my wife, then buzzed my cousin who was combining dads beans next to my woods. I must have looked like a turbine powered Christmas tree...alll nav lights and my landing lights were on and the strobes as I nestled my helicopter down through my chopper channel that was lit up for the first time by my landing light.

What a nice experience I will never ever forget. Any of you that lasted this whole post.....you have too much time on your hands!! ha......Thanks for hanging with me and letting me share this moment.

Stan

Attachments

• Sep24 002.jpg
    Sep24 002.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Sep24 006.jpg
    Sep24 006.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Sep24 008.jpg
    Sep24 008.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Sep24 009.jpg
    Sep24 009.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Sep24 013.jpg
    Sep24 013.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Sep24 014.jpg
    Sep24 014.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Sep24 017.jpg
    Sep24 017.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Sep24 023.jpg
    Sep24 023.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I felt like I was just right there next to you! What an amazing experience Stan. Thank you for sharing this with us, truly amazing.

Oh and by the way, stop making me druel with the turbine engine talk!

What a beautiful experience Stan, and what a great "radio days" type of account. It would probably not have been written had you been allowed to take more pictures. On the other hand it's quite a pity that even the pigs, around which the event was centered, seem to have disapproved of being captured as bitmaps..;-)
Thanks for sharing, this is truly one for keeps.

Last edited:
Stan I would not say we have to much time on our hands, but I did enjoy the perspective to another way of life. We here about the Amish but truly do not understand them or their way of life. Not to sound condescending.

Only you can pull something like this off :) Absolutely enjoyable story. What a contrast between the past and today ! I love it :)

Stan the Porker

Stan the Porker

Hey Stan,,,,,you old Porker!!!!!!!! Ha Ha Ha
Great thread......I enjoyed your experience,,,,,We had Amish near us in Pennsylvania,,,and have many great memories of the Amish,,,,great folks,,,,,

Stan,

What a wonderful description of your visit with Wilbur, his family and the rest of his Amish community. As Juergen mentioned, your "radio days" account had me visualizing with "my mind's eye" your experience. Your observations of the Amish people is the exactly what I've always experienced whenever I have been around these humble and honest people.

I had to chuckle over the elderly gentleman who mentioned that you were brought up differently. Knowing that his comment was not meant in a negative or insulting manner, you demonstrated a level of maturity, respect, and acceptance that is often so lacking in our society. I one time had an Amish boy say me, "You dress funny" because I was wearing a Hawaiian aloha shirt and shorts. His father had a horrified look on his face over what his son told me. I just laughed and looked at the boy and his father and said, "You know, my wife tells me that all the time too." We all started to laugh together and the Amish man extended his hand out to shake mine and thanked me for understanding.

Thank you Stan for taking me along and enjoying the visit with you.

Wayne

Their 6 year old daughter was just standing there by my door and I could read her mind. I asked her "do you want to sit in the helicopter? " She never said a word and nervously looked at her dad with here beautiful eyes saying more than words could convey to him. He smiled and lifted her in the helicopter , and again, those eyes and her smile said so much pleasure was being experienced by her...yet I still do not know what her voice sounds like. All that I heard was her heavy breathing from excitement. It may have well have been an alien spaceship that she was sitting in.

Perhaps you send a printout to Wilbur with a note to consider making a poster of it for her next birthday. If he's daring enough you might win a great helicopter pilot for your country.

http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/193452.php

PS: at least that seems much better than hanging a poster of any boy group..... ;-)

Last edited:
Good job stan, the amish in my opinion are just like us just differnt way of living. Glad you had this opportunity. Good hog too your a lucky guy

I went and bought a plain frame and printed up a picture of the horse and buggy with my Helicycle in the background. I left a blank white area under the picture for something I am going to print thanking them in a special way.

I printed one up for my wall of pictures in my hanger. I am proud of that picture.

I feel they will hang this on their wall in the cabinet shop. I may just fly this picture down to them if I feel invited by air again.

Stan

Attachments

• Sep24 024.jpg
    Sep24 024.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Sep24.jpg
    Sep24.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Sep24 025.jpg
    Sep24 025.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 0
Stan, what an amazing story and beautifully told. Your ship must have felt more like a time machine than a helicopter that day!

It's great they were so welcoming to you.

I'm already looking forward to your next adventure...

-John

John and Brian....thanks for the comments. I just received a call from the Howard Miller....the other brother that also owns this Amish cabinet company. They have a full time on the road salesman that keeps their cabinet shop swamped even in this severe recession. They want to include my stairways as part of their package to sell. Of course they know I would buy all the material from them, and they know about my commission I have offered for years. I also was invited to fly my helicopter to their next hogroast, and to fly down to the home anytime I want.

I feel we both gained mutual respect for each other. I cant wait for the first opportunity to be supplying an Amish cabinet shop with stairways. What a continuing great experience with these fine people....and I feel the best is yet to come.

Stan

Love the picture and of course the "pretty damn good achievement certificate" LOL