Utah Winter

MichaelBurton

Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Sparrowhawk, B95, AC680, BE23, Calidus, MTO Sport, Cavalon, Vortex, Dominator, WindRyder, RAF2000
Total Flight Time
6000+ over 3000 hrs in gyro
Click for a larger image

Last edited:
Nice pictures and a neat website. I spent a few months working on Antelope Island and had a ranch at the east entrance of Zion National Park. Utah is a beautiful place with a lot of diversity. Thanks for sharing and bringing back memories.

Michael
I've wanted to visit this area for a long time, I really enjoyed the pictures, thanks
Russ

Michael,
Many of us have often wondered just how close we might get to those areas depicted in the photos - as in, sightseeing.
Since you're a local, maybe you could fill us in on what restrictions there are to flying in the area of those beautiful sites.
Thanks,
Trez

The rules from the FAA are the same for those sites as they are for normal other non controlled airspace. The National parks have requested that aircraft fly no lower than 2000 ft AGL in order to reduce noise and maintain the peace in the park.

There are times when these places are empty. You can look at the area from above and decide to fly lower when it will not impact others enjoyment of the area.

Rules for non populated areas:

500 ft above a person vessel vehicle or structure or 1000 ft to the side. The lowest altitude over any area is one that will allow a landing in the event of a power unit failure.

The rules from the FAA are the same for those sites as they are for normal other non controlled airspace. The National parks have requested that aircraft fly no lower than 2000 ft AGL in order to reduce noise and maintain the peace in the park.

There are times when these places are empty. You can look at the area from above and decide to fly lower when it will not impact others enjoyment of the area.

Rules for non populated areas:

500 ft above a person vessel vehicle or structure or 1000 ft to the side. The lowest altitude over any area is one that will allow a landing in the event of a power unit failure.

I had no idea that the guidelines were that reasonable, given all I've heard about flying in the area of the canyons.
Thanks alot for that info. VERY helpful if I'm ever lucky enough to get to those areas with a gyro.
Trez

Man, it has to be great flying there!

More of Utah

More of Utah

More photos from Utah. We have everything but an ocean.

Click for a larger image

Thanks

Thanks

Great pictures and breathtaking scenery.

Kai.

I love taking pictures almost as much as flying. They all bring memories with them for years to come. I probably have 5000 digital images.

Don't worry I wont post them all here.:wacko:

I flew the helicopter to Cedar City Ut this week. Went snowmobiling by Bryan Head. It was sooo nice. First time snowmobiling ever ,and it was in over a foot of fresh powder. We never saw another snowmobile,besides us, in over 100 miles of trail riding all day. What a beautiful area to visit, and very friendly locals.

We went to leave Wednesday morning from CDC. The weather was very marginal, so I decided to wait a bit to leave. It started snowing harder and harder as time passed. Sat at the airport all day, until 3:30PM and caught a break in the weather and departed. The locals said they have had 180 percent of the normal snowfall, must be global warming.......

Scott Heger, Laguna Niguel,Ca N86SH

Been there

Been there

More photos from Utah. We have everything but an ocean.

I've been to the Salt Lake City, Ogden area a little before the Olympics (work related.)
I have an old Army buddy that lives in SLC.

Looks like to me there was once an inland ocean there but it got away.
Anyways it looks like there is a level shore line worn into the side of the mountains as far as the eye can see.

Looks like to me there was once an inland ocean there but it got away.
Anyways it looks like there is a level shore line worn into the side of the mountains as far as the eye can see.

I think you're talking about lake Bonniville, but it has been gone a long long time. It is interesting though how you can go hiking in the mountains (Wasatch Range - just East of SLC area) and it is not hard to find small sea shells still just laying on the ground.

Locally we joke that the "Great Salt Lake" has turned into the "Great Salt Puddle" at the water level is very low and the shore line has receded quite a ways. This area is still a desert and doesn't get a lot of rainfall and we have had a pretty dry decade. If it weren't for the mountains where it snows heavily each winter, this area would have a serious water shortage each summer but the mountains store the moisture in the form of snow and then we live on it as it melts and runs down into the valleys where we live.

An interesting map showing the size of the former Lake Bonneville overlaid on the boundaries of the current Great Salt Lake is found here. It's sobering to think that seismic or volcanic activity could produce a similar event in the future. If it did, the nation's 30th largest metro area (us) could suddenly become an Atlantis over a period of a few years!

Photos from March 17 2010.

Last edited:
I added a few more

Click for a larger image of Brian Bird flying is SH2

Last edited:
Not winter any more but still Utah.

Not winter any more but still Utah.

I took these on the way back from Arizona.
34412746.jpg

34456138.jpg

34412512.jpg

Last edited:
My cousin James took this one with his phone. Not great quality but it is me in the captains chair of a Southwest 737.
mike737.jpg