Wrens Fall Fly-in - Oct 24-26th - Georgia/Carolina CHALLENGE... #4!

NetPilot

Tryin' to Re-Member
Aircraft
2016 Rotax 503 "Jake-inator" (i.e. Gyro Jake's 2016 creation)
Total Flight Time
300+
Wrens Fall Fly-in is October 24th thru 26th! Wrens Airport, Georgia.

More info: http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41678

Hey.. John Roundtree (All-In)... Yes! It's gonna be a party!! :whoo:

And to all you Carolina guys... I'm throwing down the gauntlet.. again!

Friendly Scorecard to date:

Wrens 2013
Cold weather kept a lot of folks away. Carolina takes gyro count, and GA takes people count, by an edge. An arguable draw...
http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38855

Bensen Days 2014
GA/Peachstate takes everything, hands-down. No contest. :) Aaaaaw... There-there now... I'm sure y'all will do better next year! :D
http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40227

Carolina Barnstormers Spring Wing Ding 2014
Carolina takes gyro count and people count, but not a shut-out by any means. GA/Peachstate puts in a very strong showing especially considering it was Carolina turf! The Carolina/Georgia trophy makes it's first appearance.
http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40600

Which brings us to today...

Wrens Fall Fly-in 2014
Formerly known as Rotors Over Carolina (ROC). A location roughly centrally located between GA and NC folks, and, a once bustling Fly-in which has shrunk in recent years from it's former glory. This year promises to be trending back to those glory days... weather permitting.

The current counts:

Carolina folks who have chimed-in as being likely to attend are: Barry (ultracruiser41), Rodney (Boots), Scott W. (AirScooter), Ron (GyroRon), Rusty (rustynance), Red ('cycleflyer), and possibly a 'getut' sighting, with getut extended family in tow no less!

GA folks who have chimed-in: Harold (Scagmo), Gary (Gary W), Gerald (GK2), Jon (jcarleto), and Gerg (NoWingsAttached).

Who else is gonna be able to make it?!

Tennessee, Florida, and Alabama folks... anybody else, for that matter... come on up/down/over too!!

-Mark

Last edited:
Weather holds and the Creek don't rise I will be there.

At least one from Florida / stopping in on my 5 month "Gyro Gypsie" summer trip flying the US. So far this summer Wren's will be my 12th Gyro or EAA air show to attend ... Presently at Anahuac TX for the Steve Wier Memorial Flyin ;-)) being held next weekend ...
Then I load up and on the road again ...

Good to see a maybe good Ga.showing at Wrens, as it should be but if all the folks that has NC.and SC.showing as location on the Rotary Wing Forum would show up y'all may be
out numbered !
Kent, It will be good to see you at Wrens , You do have a Carolina Barnstormers shirt or hat
so you can be counted as a Barnstormer :D
Mark has a hard time counting...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 0
Wrens Fall Fly-in is October 24th thru 26th! Wrens Airport, Georgia.

More info: http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41678

Hey.. John Roundtree (All-In)... Yes! It's gonna be a party!! :whoo:

And to all you Carolina guys... I'm throwing down the gauntlet.. again!

Right now, the counts look like this:

Carolina folks who have chimed-in as being likely to attend are: Barry (ultracruiser41), Rodney (Boots), Scott W. (AirScooter), Ron (GyroRon), Rusty (rustynance), and possibly a 'getut' sighting, with getut extended family in tow no less!

When I add this up, I get like.........1,2...46,47...53,58.......64 people. I am quite the mathematician. We win....

Georgia tally to date:

Definitely Maybe's:
- Gary (Gary W) bringing CLT Air Command
- Harold (Scagmo) bringing Dominator as static display
- Greg (NoWingsAttached) Flying-in Yamaha AC Tandem?? (TBD)
- John P. (jpipe) bringing VanCraft?? (TBD)
- Trell (Gyronaut 2) bringing UltraWhite?? (TBD)
- Kevin (bebop)
- Gerald (GK2) bringing video stuff, movie screen, and drone.
- Jon (jcarleto) maybe bringing Beechcraft Baron
- Mark C. (Mwcrabb) maybe bringing trike?? (TBD)
- Andrew (AndrewP) maybe bringing trike? (TBD)
- Kurt our newest member
- Me (NetPilot)

MAYBE Maybe's:
- Scott (Scott Essex) bringing Dominator?? (TBD)
- John (GA Rotor Guy)
- Mac (Mac Caceres)
- Joel (chop)
- Bob (rwr) maybe flying Cessna 172

Definitely NOTs:
- TBD...

And this adds up to like 7.

-Mark

See the above corrections interjected in red.

Kent - You are living the life man! Looking foward to seeing you there!

Rodney - We'll give you guys credit for Kent... and his MTO. But, if more FL guys come up we may have to split 'em up! :) Hey, have you heard from Dan McCallister? It'd be great if you could track him down. Just wouldn't be a Wrens without Dan!

Scott - Scott... Scott... Scott... And how much did you dole out for that Engineering degree? :boink: Kidding aside, you mention 64 people... That was about what we had in attendance at the Spring Wing Ding. If we can achieve that, we'd be doing great!

M

Its really sad and pathetic to be honest.... And Ill be the first to admit fault for not coming the last few years, so this post is slamming myself as much as anyone else.... But yeah its pathetic...

Here we have OUR local " area " big event. Its at a time of the year when it isn't freezing cold or sweltering hot. Its at a location thats not far off the interstate, and a location that has all anyone needs for a fly-in as far as the town goes ( motels, food, gas, parts stores, cheap prices ) The airport itself is great with a nice smooth grass strip and a long paved strip as well. There are plenty of open farm fields nearby to buzz around low in. There is a cool mining area north of the field to explore. There are other airports nearby to fly to and explore. Wrens itself is ideal for watching the gyros fly, and has electric for camping, a shower, bathrooms, etc....

It isn't as classy as the set up at Bensen Days or Mentone, but if people attended ROC like they did those events there would be money to make it more classy. And other than it being a little less classy as far as the camping spaces or shower and lack of a banquet I say Wrens / ROC has just as much to offer as BD's or Mentone.

So why is it a struggle to get people to come?

You would think it would be a event that would attract people from the entire eastern US, if not further away, just as the two other east events do. But Id dare to say that lately not even a third of the local gyro community shows up for this. Mcgowan, who shows up a week early for the other two events, doesn't even come to Wrens other than for a short day visit in a helicopter or in a truck. There are gyro people in both carolinas and georgia that don't bother to go. Look at all the " maybes " Netpilot listed.... Why is it a MAYBE? I got it on my calendar, as so as long as the weather allows, Im gonna be there. Why isn't more of the florida crowd coming? Seems like we support their event, why don't they come support our event?

Anyway, just woke up and in a grumpy mood ( been hard to sleep last few nights cause im sick and been up coughing all night ) I just don't understand why we have let ROC / Wrens get so poorly attended. And like I said at the beginning, Im as guilty as the next for being part of the poor attendance.

Good point

Good point

Here we have OUR local " area " big event. Its at a time of the year when it isn't freezing cold or sweltering hot. Its at a location thats not far off the interstate, and a location that has all anyone needs for a fly-in as far as the town goes ( motels, food, gas, parts stores, cheap prices ) The airport itself is great with a nice smooth grass strip and a long paved strip as well. There are plenty of open farm fields nearby to buzz around low in. There is a cool mining area north of the field to explore. There are other airports nearby to fly to and explore. Wrens itself is ideal for watching the gyros fly, and has electric for camping, a shower, bathrooms, etc....

Hey Ron, over here at PeachState we're absolutely pickin' up what ya' layin' down. Definitely agreed on your point here.

Yeah... the drive is between 2 and 3 hours for a lot of folks (both NC/SC and GA) but hey... we drive all day long to get to Bensen Days or Mentone.

In the end, it us up to our two states to build this back to a point where "They will come." (That is... folks from FL, TN, AL, VA, and beyond.) Maybe one day we'll coax Vance to drive out from CA!! :lol:

One very positive point is that the "Definitely can't make-it" category is minimal for the PeachState crew so far. So, at least a good number of folks are tryin' to be there.

Rodney, Scott, Barry - I read Ron's lament as a call to arms to you guys to do what you did for the Spring Wing Ding. Get on those phones and keyboards! ...you know I am!!! :)

I have every intention of attending on Friday, and will probably bring Lewis Gulley along. I must return Friday night, though, as I have a gig that Saturday afternoon. I intend to bring the Beechcraft Bonanza...because I have one of those and don't have a Beech Baron. :)

There Mark...I posted...now stop driving around Taylorsville looking for my house to remind me. You're liable to get shot by someone. Although, I do give you great credit for engaging the troops.

Last edited:
At least one from Florida / stopping in on my 5 month "Gyro Gypsie" summer trip flying the US. So far this summer Wren's will be my 12th Gyro or EAA air show to attend ... Presently at Anahuac TX for the Steve Wier Memorial Flyin ;-)) being held next weekend ...
Then I load up and on the road again ...

SURE HOPE YOU MAKE IT! Really enjoyed talkin with you at Barry Days this spring.

I have every intention of attending on Friday, and will probably bring Lewis Gulley along. I must return Friday night, though, as I have a gig that Saturday afternoon. I intend to bring the Beechcraft Bonanza...because I have one of those and don't have a Beech Baron. :)

There Mark...I posted...now stop driving around Taylorsville looking for my house to remind me. You're liable to get shot by someone. Although, I do give you great credit for engaging the troops.

Jon, if you fly in, any chance you can delay leaving until Saturday before noon?

Mark Crabbs is trying to get his engine monitor fixed, if he does he is going to fly alongside, with me in the Wicked, in his trike. We both hangar at Hodges Air Park. He is bit bad by the gyro bug, wants to buy one.

Mark flew his trike 22 hours home on his first flight in it after buying it!

Mark,

You can move Ga Rotor to definitely... not sure if all weekend or Saturday.

At other forums, I am known as GyroGeorgia.... wish the folks here would honor my request for a name change... :)

See you all at Wrens.

The Georgia tally

The Georgia tally

Georgia numbers are a-growin'!

Georgia tally to date:

Plannin' on it:
- Gary (Gary W) bringing CLT Air Command
- Harold (Scagmo) bringing Dominator for static display
- Greg (NoWingsAttached) Maybe flying-in w/ Yamaha AC Tandem
- John P. (jpipe) bringing VanCraft
- Trell (Gyronaut 2) bringing UltraWhite
- Bo (Bo Collins) hoping to bring his new open-single-seat "Big Dawg" gyro
- Jon (jcarleto) planning to bring Beechcraft Bonanza
- Lewis G. *not on RWF*
- Mark C. (Mwcrabb) maybe bringing trike
- Andrew (AndrewP)
- Gerald (GK2) bringing video stuff, movie screen, and drone.
- Kevin (bebop)
- John M. (GA Rotor Guy)
- Mac (Mac Caceres)
- Kurt our newest member
- Joel (chop)
- Phil (Phil Ruffin) still doesn't have his green A/C any more and missin' it!
- Me (NetPilot)

Hopin' to make it:
- Bob (rwr) maybe flying Cessna 172
- Lou (lougregoire) maybe flying Cessna 172
- Rodney *not on RWF* flying RV4
- Ron (Ron Iaconis)
- Scott (Scott Essex)
- Michael (MTOFLYER)
- Rod & Anna PPC pilots hoping to take a look-see
- Doug C. *not on RWF* remote possibility of bringing Sparrowhawk

-M

Last edited:
Blah, blah, blah!!!

Who is the guy who showed up at Bensen Days 2014 with the NOISY burgundy red Subaru machine? I think I saw him landing at an airport about an hour west of Savannah this summer, right on I-16. Is he coming? Is this the Bo Collins "Beast"?

NoWingsAttached said:
Jon, if you fly in, any chance you can delay leaving until Saturday before noon?

Nope. EARLY afternoon gig Saturday.

hoping to go...

hoping to go...

Hoping to fly in saturday morning for the day. May have a seat available, old 172 with underpowered engine. Possible grandson in back seat (10 y.o.). Only going if guaranteed 100% gorgeous VFR.

Not the "Beast" but we need to get him to attend anyway

Not the "Beast" but we need to get him to attend anyway

Who is the guy who showed up at Bensen Days 2014 with the NOISY burgundy red Subaru machine? ... Is he coming? Is this the Bo Collins "Beast"?

Gerg,

Looking at it from that perspective, Bo's machine is probably more aptly named "Rocketship" than "Beast." It's not particularly large... but has a big ole' honkin' aircraft engine on it... I think Continental. Actually, this would be it's first public showing. So, the machine you mention is not Bo's.

BUT, we do need to figure out who that guy is and get him to come as well!

I'm thinking the gyro you are talking about is a Maxie Wilde product, and lives somewhere in the neighborhood of Macon... as does Bo.

Gary - Do you know who owns that gyro that Gerg is talking about?

I think there are some pictures or video of it buried in the Bensen Days 2014 thread.

M

Free Carolina Barnstormer t-shirt to any Peachstate member who wants to defect and be counted on the Carolina side...........

Just kidding folks. (Barry, remember to bring shirts just in case. shhhhh, don't say anything though.)

Last edited: