Ultralight Helicopter

Ocean80

Hello everyone,

I am looking for recommendation model names of 2 seat helicopters that are ultralight in the price range of $30,000 to $100,000. I do not wish to build, looking for RTF. I would like to find something that I can tow behind a motorhome.

Any help?

Tom, welcome to the forum!

To be legal for operation as an ultralight, you're limited to a single seat regardless of whether it's rotary- or fixed-wing. If you really want two seats, you'll need a pilot certificate to fly legally.

In either case, you'll need training, and either will be light enough to tow easily behind a motorhome.

Perhaps if you define your mission you'll get some more useful guidance. How do you want to use it once you get the motorhome parked for the night?

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping for a two seat "ultralight" in order to tow and use it around the US in our travels. The thought behind the ultralight rating was to make it easier to operate. I do have a private pilot license from Europe so was hoping to avoid doing all the schooling/paperwork in the USA.

I didn't realize that two seat can't be an ultralight?? everywhere else I visited in Europe its not an issue.

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping for a two seat "ultralight" in order to tow and use it around the US in our travels. The thought behind the ultralight rating was to make it easier to operate. I do have a private pilot license from Europe so was hoping to avoid doing all the schooling/paperwork in the USA.

I didn't realize that two seat can't be an ultralight?? everywhere else I visited in Europe its not an issue.

Ultralight means something different in the USA than it does in Europe Tom.

Part 103 (ultralight) needs to weigh less than 254 pounds carry one person, is limited to five gallons of gas and maximum level speed of 55kts.

A European ultralight is similar to our light sport rules. A pilot certificate is required to fly one and it can carry two people.

In my opinion a helicopter flies differently than a fixed wing and training has value even when you know how to fly a fixed wing aircraft.

I recommend you take and hour of training in a helicopter before you make a commitment to your plan.

It is not uncommon to tow a gyroplane and fly it when you get there.

Hello everyone,

I am looking for recommendation model names of 2 seat helicopters that are ultralight in the price range of $30,000 to $100,000. I do not wish to build, looking for RTF. I would like to find something that I can tow behind a motorhome.

Any help?

Is your Private License in helicopters?
For decades, many folks in America had the same vision you have. The idea of carryinq your affordable `maqic carpet` with you as you travel the countryside is a dream entertained by droves of people.

The scrap-heap of machines that tried to fill this void is pretty larqe.

The fact is ...there`s really only one practical, safe, dependable 2-seat helicopter that ever succeeded. The Brantlys, even as uqly as they were, could be had for about $35k flyinq and could be flown and maintained for well below $100 per hour. Then POOF! Factory Sold to China and some parts are hard to find. It had an empty weiqht of about 1100 pounds. It would carry 2 averaqe adults and full fuel.

The next best option is a hiqh-time R-22 which can be had for about $40k and weiqhs about 900 pounds.

Rotorways -- Not a success
Huqhes 269A -- Worn out, parts expensive
CH-7 Kompress -- Expensive
Swift -- Just a dream riqht now
Voyaqer -- Never qot to market

Vance,

Thanks for clarifying. I didn't think to fly it without taking an instructor for a few hours.

I guess I will look into the "sport pilot" program and rules for flying this kind of helicopter from different areas in the US.

You cannot fly a 2 seat helicopter with a sport pilot ticket. You need a helicopter rating.

Tom, the US rules will be confusing if your background is Europe. In a nutshell:

Ultralight: Governed by the FAA's rules found in Part 103. It possible, barely, to make a functional helicopter within the weight limits. Some designs add floats to take advantage of a slightly higher weight limit, but they're not floats robust enough for regular operation off water, only for emergencies.

Light Sport Aircraft, eligible to be flown by Sport Pilots: Intended for simple aircraft. Prohibits in-flight adjustable pitch on props or rotors, which eliminates helicopters, and no Sport Pilot / Helicopter certificate is available.

Private Pilot: The door is pretty much wide open for what you want to do, but you'll need, but costs for something safe to fly may be beyond your expectations.

Trailering is hard on aircraft, even gyros, because they're built light enough to fly. This may ultimately be your practical limitation. If you arrive at destinations with broken brackets to repair, it may not be a comforting thought for the rest of the machine.

I am looking for recommendation model names of 2 seat helicopters that are ultralight in the price range of $30,000 to $100,000

You could buy a certificated A/C for that amount - like an R22 for example;)

As an aside - It does not appear that there will be a time in my life where I will perceive the cost of aircraft as affordable - lol!

Last edited:
The fact is ...there`s really only one practical, safe, dependable 2-seat helicopter that ever succeeded.

Bryan,

I noticed you didn't mention the Safari 400.

I am driving down to SC Friday to look at one that's for sale.

I did my training in the R22 and I hope to never see one again. At 235lbs the helicopter is useless with full fuel. I can't even bring my 10 year old with me. The safari claims to have 465lbs of useful load with full fuel.

Your thoughts?

Bill in NC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know the specs on the Safari, but in general, useful load isn't the whole story. If you're a big guy, be sure to check lateral c.g. limits with your intended occupancy and any per-seat load limits. Maybe it won't be an issue with that model, but it's best to know before spending your money.

You might also consider an old Hiller or Bell 47.

Bryan,

I did my training in the R22 and I hope to never see one again. At 235lbs the helicopter is useless with full fuel. I can't even bring my 10 year old with me. The safari claims to have 465lbs of useful load with full fuel.

Your thoughts?

Bill in NC

The Safari does not belonq in the SUCCESSFUL column.
The ONLY currently successful machine that is even almost affordable is a hiqh time R-22 (especially Beta II). Parts are available.

Helicopter

Helicopter

The best and safest out there is a Enstrom helicopter you can buy any thing you want for them you can... get a good c model for 60g and up... lots power for the big guys nice flyer also.......

Bryan,

Your thoughts?

Bill in NC

you may want to read this first.
http://www.bfu-web.de/EN/Publicatio...6_Heli-Safari_Lahr.pdf?__blob=publicationFile
Too many Safari's have crashed due to tail rotor issues.
safari is nothing more then an upgraded Helicom Commuter.

the yellow and blue one was owned by Bruce belfeild A Safari dealer in N.Z.
he is the one that test flew my Commuter H-1B at Sun-n-fun 2012.

Attachments

• SCCZEN_100215NZHHELO5_620x310.jpg
    SCCZEN_100215NZHHELO5_620x310.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 0
  • helicopter-crash-1.jpg
    helicopter-crash-1.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 1423526408623.jpg
    1423526408623.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 401356_283960501661651_174056599318709_861445_1336855048_n.jpg
    401356_283960501661651_174056599318709_861445_1336855048_n.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for the link. Sad read, but informational nonetheless.

I can't speak on behalf of the company, I can only say that from the 2 owners I've spoken with... The new company made significant changes to the main rotor head, tail boom and tail rotor in the past few years. Both owners have the newer 400 models ( one with with over 300 hours) and they have had no problems to date.

I'm going to at least go look at one always knowing that...

"Experimental" means just that.

Thanks for the link. Sad read, but informational nonetheless.

I can't speak on behalf of the company, I can only say that from the 2 owners I've spoken with... The new company made significant changes to the main rotor head, tail boom and tail rotor in the past few years. Both owners have the newer 400 models ( one with with over 300 hours) and they have had no problems to date.

I'm going to at least go look at one always knowing that...

"Experimental" means just that.

I know the owners and i know the Company, after what they did to my Commuter H-1B at sun-n-fun I have no use for them.

when a company has a viberation issue with the tail boom and the way they fix it is to sandwich the tailboom arms between 2 sections of alum. plate, this does not impress me.
just so you know I know what I am talking about, here is a pic of my old Commuter H-1B and the then new Safari 400 at sun-n-fun 2012

Safari had told us if we brought the Commuter down they would demo it for us and fly the pattern with it so I could get it sold, instead the next morning we see a big sign between the 2 using the Commuter as a way of showing their so called improvements. In fact Delane killed the sale of my machine when a guy asked if it was going to be flown while there as he had came in to look at buying it. I told him Bobby was going to fly it, this is what I had been told. Next thing I know Delane sticks her head of of the trailer and say oh no bobbys not going to fly that thing. the rotor head is dangerous at altitude.
yet this is the same style head mark flew from Canada with in the first baby belle to sun-n-fun with out even having a ground support team.
Also they only hovered it around and never flew the pattern with it as promised. This was after they had decided I did not have enough negative pitch in the blades and decided to adjust them using a piece of paper and the horizon on unlevel ground. when I got back to n.c. with it I was going to demo it for a buyer, just get it light on the skids, it shook so bad we had to shut it down. I took it back into my shop and found 1 blade was set at 1degree and the other at 3 degrees pitch. keep in mind before I took it there it had been set up on the chadwick perfectly. how bruce flew it as long as he did I will never know.

All I can say is buyer beware.

note that is Bobby checking where the fuel tank mount broke on the Demo ship. after just being flown off the trailer. they had to get it rewelded before they could do any demo flights.

Attachments

• 100_5595.jpg
    100_5595.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 0
  • tail boom braces.jpg
    tail boom braces.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 0
  • dampner..jpg
    dampner..jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Cicare make a coupla 2seat options, and if their single seater CH-7 is any guide, itd be a very handy machine.