Rotary Wing Forum  

Go Back   Rotary Wing Forum > Rotorcraft > General Discussion

Old 01-06-2017, 05:15 PM
Platinum Member

I rememer this one.... contact Tony Unwin of GYRATE in new Zealand, I believe he managed to taxi it about 15 years ago. £2,000 is a lot to pay for 2 x 532s and some scrap metal, in my opinion. It will never fly in the UK, never. You would need plans, a build log, an inspector that would check it over, a CAA test pilot certified on type, and a full complete stress calculation.... and soooo much more. It would cost tens of thousands just to get a single seat dominator flying in the UK, I dare not guess how much this would cost except many tens of thousands, possibly hundreds, proof of section T complience, CLT or large H/S proof of stability, insurance, passenger liability, type conversion... the list goes on and on and each would be a huge hurdle to jump. You are not buying a gyro, you are buying 2 x 2 stroke engines that are no longer manufactured. To sell those engines you will need log books, (unless you can find another use eg hovercraft) but they will probably need complete rebuilds after this time. it is a garden ornament I believe . could it be converted into a boat of some kind ? put it on skis and blast across the ice. they may even use it in a bond film, or as a fan on a film set but you would have to manage the 2 stroke exhaust. I know of no twin engined gyroplane flying anywhere in the world right now. A uk gyro licence allows you to fly a single piston engined gyrplane, I would love to help and give you encouragement but I think a reality check is best. If you want a reality check talk with the LAA before spending any cash. And if you want to send me a pm with your phone number I am also happy to discuus gyros with you. I fly a legal single seat gyro here in the UK. The best chance we have for new lower cost machines in the UK is Aviomania or a possible SSDR category.
If you want a gyro, buy one with a permit but after you have a gyro licence. maybe itcomes with a great trailer ?
best regards Peter

Last edited by SandL; 01-06-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:24 PM
Gold Supporter

From the sound of the pro's who have responded to registering it and flying her not being realistic... I would say if you can afford it has your children's or grandchildren and when no one is looking for you to fly in imagination land as a playhouse in your front or backyard; then buy it. Make a great landmark sign for a business?

PRA- Director
PRA- Volunteer Coordinator

PRA31 - Vice President of S.D. Rotorcraft Club
http://www.Pra31.org

U.S. Agent for Aviomania Aircraft... the most stable gyroplane on the market today.
See: Aviomania USA http://www.AviomaniaUSA.com

OEM Dealer for MGL Avionics - glass cockpit EFIS for Experimental aircraft Ask about DISCOUNTS for PRA MEMBERS

Last edited by All_In; 01-06-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:31 PM

A Google image search revealed a thread from 2009:
http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22401

...and one from 2007:
http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13993

...and also revealed the image source with a larger image:
http://www.glue-it.co.uk/aircraft/pa...ro/photo1.html

The fun part of the search was clicking on all the foreign language links and seeing all the one-off gyros in Russia - great stuff!!

JK

Last edited by johnrk; 01-06-2017 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1977 View Post
hi all I am new to the forum and am looking for some advice on autogyros.
I have been looking for one for a while now and have been offered a strange looking one, I don't know the name, make or model, tried doing some research about it and what its worth but only managed to find one photo on google which is this Attachment 126299.
the fella that has got it doesn't know anything about it either and just asked me to make him an offer to take it away.
I had a look and there is no rotors and no windows but everything seems to be there at a glance and even sat on a nice galvanised trailer.
just looking for any information and what do you think its worth offering him?
thanks for any help in advance

Stumbled upon this.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:49 PM
Scratch Builder

Buy it Jamie, build on it, learn from it, make new friends in the process and if you're lucky, one day it may fly. Give it hell Jamie, but be prudent and safe about it. Post pictures of your adventures.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:42 PM

Default Kemble Curiosity

I remember working on that machine in the early 90's. There were two Rotax 532 which, even back then, had been standing for so long that they would not run, half a days work and we had them up and running. That's as far as it got, the owner then took the machine away, if I remember correctly?
An absolutely beautiful work of art, it would be like having a Ferrari on your front drive.
I would consider buying it if you are rich, to look at.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: