Rotary Wing Forum  

Go Back   Rotary Wing Forum > Kit Makers & Manufacturers > Auto-Gyro GmbH

Old 01-05-2017, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fara View Post
A bunch of drones are going to replace helicopters and its commercial pilot for all monitoring observation missions and so on.
There will never be a replacement for me and you wanting to fly because we love to fly but all that work stuff can be outsourced cheaply to something that isn't quite there yet.
I was having a conversation a couple years ago with someone in the airport management field, and tried to make this same point to him. My specific prediction was that many Class-D airports with waiting lists for GA hangar space, including his, are vulnerable financially due to their reliance on a business model based on certified piston twins and sales of leaded avgas. If they count on a helicopter school tenant for revenue, worse still.

I honestly believe that in my lifetime, GA will all but disappear, with the most robust remaining sector being recreational flight. GA already doesn't pencil out for many owner-piloted business trips that made sense just a few years ago.

Our local gyro CFI, Mike Burton, has moved to a new airport and, with his partner Marc Campbell, has set up an FBO which will specialize in hangars for LSA, Rotax A&P and mogas sales. As the only publicly-owned airport in the metro area with that specialty, I think it will find a profitable niche.
Editor, Western Rotorcraft

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: