Rotary Wing Forum  

Go Back   Rotary Wing Forum > Kit Makers & Manufacturers > Air & Space 18A

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 06:33 AM
Former Gyro know it all

Those Carbon Cubs are nice. I was blown away when I found out how much they cost..... but they are very nice!

I remember back before sport pilot came along, and right after the beginning of SP, how real piper cubs, nice ones at that, were going for somewhere around 30 grand. I thought it was crazy how much they sold for, seeing how ercoupes and champs and taylorcrafts and even cessna 120 / 140 / 150 sold for half as much. But Ive noticed that now all those have come up in price and the cub has stayed right in around 30 grand. And really I think its a awesome value and a fun airplane to own and fly. I know a Carbon cub is not really even close to the same as a real cub, having twice the horsepower and a thousand other upgrades, but as Ive said before, Carbon Cubs and other 100 grand + aircraft aren't even remotely on my radar. But a 30-50 grand aircraft is within my striking distance and a cub would be a fun one to have.

Have you ever considered a Vans RV ? Other than the RV10, you can get pretty much any other model RV for under 100K. For 60-90K you can get a really decked out RV-6 or 7 or 8...... I wouldn't get a 9 because its not aerobatic. Any of those RV's would be off the ground in less than 500 feet, and climb at well over 2000 fpm, PLUS cruise at close to 200 miles per hour indicated, and give you the ability to loop and roll if the mood strikes. And whats best about a RV is the way they handle, words can't describe it but no other airplane flys a nicely as a RV.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:47 AM
Gold Supporter

Well I think they are cool and cannot wait for the ride Jon offered me only Patches is still out of annul because I been ill an before that could not make my brother go work on it as I know how sick he really feels. But soon Jon.

PRA- Director
PRA- Volunteer Coordinator

PRA31 - Vice President of S.D. Rotorcraft Club
http://www.Pra31.org

U.S. Agent for Aviomania Aircraft... the most stable gyroplane on the market today.
See: Aviomania USA http://www.AviomaniaUSA.com

OEM Dealer for MGL Avionics - glass cockpit EFIS for Experimental aircraft Ask about DISCOUNTS for PRA MEMBERS
Old 01-02-2014, 09:55 AM
Supreme Allied Gyro CFI

FlyArmy - You're making it very clear that you know nothing about the A&S 18A and have never touched the stick in one, much less have any basis to know operating costs or profitability of training with one. Here's just one choice example from your last post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Army View Post
Whose rotor blades are more expensive the simple two bladed non-articulated ones on the MTO Sport or the dampened Hughes 269 blades on the A&S 18A ?
The A&S 18A uses Parsons-built 35 foot diameter blades of fiberglass/birch/stainless composite with a huge chord and about 55 pounds of mass each, with no life limit, and were designed uniquely for the 18A to make jump take-offs practical. They have absolutely no structure in common with the little 25-26 foot narrow chord all metal life-limited Hughes helicopter blades, as anyone at all familiar with these aircraft would certainly know.

Your opinions have been firmly stated but they lack facts to support them. Since your speculative opinions don't seem to evolve when I provide facts to the contrary from my direct personal experience, I don't think it is worth my time to continue efforts to correct your false assumptions.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:56 AM
Supreme Allied Gyro CFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_In View Post
Well I think they are cool and cannot wait for the ride Jon offered me only Patches is still out of annul because I been ill an before that could not make my brother go work on it as I know how sick he really feels. But soon Jon.
No worries. I'll still be here when you're ready.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:13 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_In View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaspAir View Post
No worries. I'll still be here when you're ready.
If I ever get out to Cal again... I will look up WaspAir...

That is one cool gyro... wish it were in the budget.

John Morgan
Private A-SEL
Member:
"PeachState Rotorcraft Club"
Owner/builder: The Subinator
(Single Dominator/Subaru)
Old 01-03-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GyroRon View Post
Those Carbon Cubs are nice. I was blown away when I found out how much they cost..... but they are very nice!

I remember back before sport pilot came along, and right after the beginning of SP, how real piper cubs, nice ones at that, were going for somewhere around 30 grand. I thought it was crazy how much they sold for, seeing how ercoupes and champs and taylorcrafts and even cessna 120 / 140 / 150 sold for half as much. But Ive noticed that now all those have come up in price and the cub has stayed right in around 30 grand. And really I think its a awesome value and a fun airplane to own and fly. I know a Carbon cub is not really even close to the same as a real cub, having twice the horsepower and a thousand other upgrades, but as Ive said before, Carbon Cubs and other 100 grand + aircraft aren't even remotely on my radar. But a 30-50 grand aircraft is within my striking distance and a cub would be a fun one to have.

Have you ever considered a Vans RV ? Other than the RV10, you can get pretty much any other model RV for under 100K. For 60-90K you can get a really decked out RV-6 or 7 or 8...... I wouldn't get a 9 because its not aerobatic. Any of those RV's would be off the ground in less than 500 feet, and climb at well over 2000 fpm, PLUS cruise at close to 200 miles per hour indicated, and give you the ability to loop and roll if the mood strikes. And whats best about a RV is the way they handle, words can't describe it but no other airplane flys a nicely as a RV.
I never seriously considered a Vans RV but have followed them closely for years. For all the reasons you mentioned they are as good a value as anything else on the market.

I agree Carbon Cubs are expensive. Mine has a full glass executive panel, airbag seatbelts, extended cargo compartment, leather seats, auto-pilot, LED lighting package, etc., etc. Cost well north of 200k. Since I historically don’t keep aircraft very long the deciding factor for me was re-sale. You don’t see many used ones on the market and when you do they usually move quickly and at a premium. From my limited research I found most owners that kept their Carbon Cubs for 2 years or more got their money back. Some even made a profit. Don’t think anyone has ever taken a serious hit on one.

Another huge selling point for me was the ability to fly low and slow. I spent my first 30 years of flying going higher and faster with every new aircraft. I enjoy cruising along in the Cub at speeds as low as the mid 30’s then climbing to whatever altitude I choose at 2000 fpm.

I’ve found it much easier to sell top of the line aircraft. I even sold my Xenon for more than I paid for it. That’s after flying it for 5 years.
Former Aircraft
2013 Carbon Cub
Blue Xenon N915DM 2009 & 2010 Grand Champion
2 RAF-2000's
A36 Bonanza
Numerous Saratoga's
david@modernsystemsinc.com

Last edited by Dmorris; 01-03-2014 at 02:42 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: