Chopper departing through chopper channel

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Heres a video of startup and departure through my chopper channel. I dont waste time getting to airspeed. I fly 10 feet skid height minimum as I see deer antlers almost that high jumping across that channel!

Again....my camera is buffeting and I will have to try to make a mount that can hold that camera out in the wind without buffeting. I need a bullet cam for sure.

You can see my centeline buried lids as they keep me centered between the trees roaring by just 25 feet from my rotor tips. I maintain +/- 5 feet off centerline max.

Stan

YouTube - MOV05750

Stan

Stan I remember reading that you would probably not fly the helicycle as much as the gyros. I couldn't find the text I was looking for to quote but I did find this one:

I could savor that last flight for weeks..and not fly again.....seriously.

I knew that would not last long once you started flying! :D

So how many hours have you put on it so far?

Yeah Stan you told me you had honey do list to take care of on the weekend!
I come here I see you flying again........ I am just shaking my head.
Bad Stan bad Stan!:lie:

there goes the Stair business..lol

I think Stan is making up for the 2 years he was grounded.. I don't blame him, if I had a helicopter and place to fly like he does I would also be airborne as much as I could.

I love seeing the Videos just wish they where longer.

of course it is driving my thoughts more in the direction of selling my Harley and using the money to fund Helicopter lessons now that I found a heli school here in NC that has a 300 CBI ( sorry no R-22 training for me )

from my figures,if I sell the Bike for just $5,000 that would give me about 18 hours Dual, hey Gabor, what are the required hours now days for Dual for PPL Helicopter?
unless the regs have changed I think I would have them covered with 18 more hours or less.
I got to make this happen.

Stan needs a Commuter 2B as a wing man some day at Mentone. :)

The drunk part is just after the flight rather than before?

Tim,
Its 40 hours minimum for PPL. I think 20 hours dual and 20 hours solo

The hours required for ppl dual is when your CFI says you are ready Tim! :)
Ok I thought it use to be 20 hours Dual and 20 solo for the PPL Helicopter. I have got to make this happen before I get to old to complete this life long journey of helicopter flight.

I did play with the H-1B friday, getting the T-R a lot better balanced and I got the Idle speed set good now. still having engine tach issues, has to be the short drive cable,as I can turn the sender by hand and the tach needle jumps.

I have the H-1B listed on Barnstormers and I have gotten several replys this time, your advise worked. now to just get a buyer for it.

Stan is having way to much fun with his Helicopter as I knew he would. just wait till he has his restriction time flown off. then we will see the real fun.

Attachments

• 100_1587.jpg
    100_1587.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 0
Grant- I have a tough time getting drunk. I could hold my life times consumption of beer in one mouthful.....and I barely got that down....the beer can that was offered me was then held upside down and drained. I cant stand the taste.....and I dont need my thinking screwed up anymore anyway! I dont smoke...or drink...but I eat too much grease and salt, so I am working on it!

Stan

Tim just be careful with all the settings. How's the left pedal nowadays? Did you have to rearrange anything? What TR did you end up with?

Stan you should try to fly while drunk first with a simulator before you do it in real life. I just want you to be safe.

Here ya go Tim. CFR 61.109(c). This is assuming your going for an initial rating.

(c) For a helicopter rating. Except as provided in paragraph (k) of this section, a person who applies for a private pilot certificate with rotorcraft category and helicopter class rating must log at least 40 hours of flight time that includes at least 20 hours of flight training from an authorized instructor and 10 hours of solo flight training in the areas of operation listed in §61.107(b)(3) of this part, and the training must include at least—

(1) 3 hours of cross-country flight training in a helicopter;

(2) Except as provided in §61.110 of this part, 3 hours of night flight training in a helicopter that includes—

(i) One cross-country flight of over 50 nautical miles total distance; and

(ii) 10 takeoffs and 10 landings to a full stop (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport.

(3) 3 hours of flight training with an authorized instructor in a helicopter in preparation for the practical test, which must have been performed within the preceding 2 calendar months from the month of the test; and

(4) 10 hours of solo flight time in a helicopter, consisting of at least—

(i) 3 hours cross-country time;

(ii) One solo cross country flight of 100 nautical miles total distance, with landings at three points, and one segment of the flight being a straight-line distance of more than 25 nautical miles between the takeoff and landing locations; and

(iii) Three takeoffs and three landings to a full stop (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport with an operating control tower.

Thanks for the Info Chuck,I wanted to know if the Regs had changed on that since the FAA can't seem to leave stuff alone any more.. that seems to be about what I was remembering. when I talk to this flight school,I am going to tell them this is what I am aiming for. I would think if I pay block time and go and stay there a few days and nights I should be able to get this all done. then the Solo time can be done as I can afford it. it won't be easy,but it is one of my life goals.

Gabor would know better than me but most pilots won't be ready to get a PPL(H) at the minimum hour requirement, the average used to be around 65 hours for pilots without previous experience/ratings. In other words budget higher than just the bare minimum!

Tim just be careful with all the settings. How's the left pedal nowadays? Did you have to rearrange anything? What TR did you end up with?

Gabor,I have the Pedals adjusted a lot better, I extended the linkage to the TR pitch slider and I have the blade pitch adjusted to specs. I am still using the same TR blades, but have found the balance issue. also have reinforced the TR gear box mount and stinger top mount where it was flexing.

my next plan is to contact the guy I met with the chadwick balancer, as I am just beating a dead horse trying to adjust this tracking by trail and error. I have it a lot smoother then it was,but lets face it, it is not a 1 man job. last week was the first time I had free to pull it out of the shop.

Gabor would know better than me but most pilots won't be ready to get a PPL(H) at the minimum hour requirement, the average used to be around 65 hours for pilots without previous experience/ratings. In other words budget higher than just the bare minimum!
Brett I only had 1 guy and he was a heavy duty gamer with reflexes and eye hand coordination of a pro that was ready flying wise with bear minimum hours. But than again he was a bum and kept the knowledge part slip. So he ended up close to 80 hours because he kept flying to stay current while flunking the knowledge tests. But I have not seen one yet that did it with minimum hours. I did mine at 62 hours. But than again it didn't matter because I needed 200 for my commercial anyways so my CFI was not pushing it.

But I have not seen one yet that did it with minimum hours. I did mine at 62 hours. But than again it didn't matter because I needed 200 for my commercial anyways so my CFI was not pushing it.
Ok are you meaning more hours after the required time of 20 dual? my main goal would be to get the 20 dual in, then work on the rest, hopefully with a commuter,but worse case just rent the 300 as I could afford it. with the Harley sold,that would free up some extra cash flow.

More dual is usually what's needed.

I got mine in 43 hours, but I also spent the previous several years as an enlisted helicopter crewmember with 800+ hours CH-47 CE time. Was used to being in helicopters, knew how to read maps & use radios - just needed to learn how to wiggle the controls :)

It is usually the dual that a student needs and not the solo time. In my limited experience students just don't get better by flying solo. So the answer is yes. I wouldn't just calculate on the minimum dual time. Dual time means you are paying extra for the guy in the left seat.

Looks like fun Stan!

Looks like fun Stan!

It is nice to see you flying again Stan.

Your enthusiasm is infectious.

Thank you, Vance