Former/Current Military Gyro Guys? (and gals?)

Hallofo

Pawn in the game of life.
Aircraft
Dominator- In my wet dreams.
As the title suggests, I'm just sort of curious if or how many "flying go-cart" enthusiasts there are with some sort of military background.

I myself am a former (and soon to be current) Marine computer geek (yes, they do make those). I've been all over the 'States, Korea, Thailand (ooh, the stories) and as a civilian to Iraq and now Afghanistan. I'll be in Iraq as a Marine in the next few months 'cause I got my happy ass recalled. Thats why my Dominator build fantasy has been put on hold for a while... an %80+ pay cut is not to good for the "extras" in life.

Back to the point.....

So.... any current or former Military types around here?

Currently IRR CW4 UH-1H and AH-1G pilot. Did Vietnam as a 19 year old Aircraft Commander with B Troop 1/9 1st Air Cav, callsign "Saber 39". Now a GYRO-CFI. Flying gyros since 1971.

Military History

Military History

Former Marine, Atached to the First Marine Aircraft Wing durning the Vietnam war. Also with the First Force Service Regiment at Camp Pendleton California, then in to the reserves with the 177 Gun Battalion here in Denver at the Federal Center...........Dick (Don't steal. The goverment hates competition)

[Flying gyros since 1971

Chris, You've got me by a few years. I built my first Bensen in late 77 and taught myself to fly it in May 1978...........Dick (If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried)

O.k. Dick I'm going to steal that one too .

I forgot . Civil Air Patrol 74 - 78 Lake Oswego Composite Squadron Oregon .

NAVY , 82 - 88 , I was an AD ( aviation machinist mate ) on F-14's till 1986 and then after a skydiving accident and washing out of BUDS ( Basic Underwater Demolition / SEAL's ) I got picked up buy HAL-5
( Helicopter Attack Light Five ) we had HH-1K Huey GunShips and we were the SEAL's support squadron .
I didn't care much for the F-14 community .
Loved the Special warfare community . I still keep in touch with and read about my old friends from way back then .

Last edited:
I was an Inflight Aerial Refueling Instructor (Boom Operator) for the SR-71 from 1981-1986. Spent alot of time in rotating TDY's to England and Japan as well as a few other places.

Gary,

I think you're the only guy I ever met (well, encountered) that admitted he didn't complete BUDS. No problem, as a unit I tried for's training outfit says, "the only failure is the failure to try." (I didn't make it -- actually I couldn't pass the physical because of my vision at the time). I know one guy who admits to trying and not making SFAS too, science writer Mike Fumento. A good guy.

I've been in the Army one way or another since the seventies. Active (8+ years), Guard (14 and counting), Reserve (6+). I went to SF and Ranger schools in the 1980s and went to Afghanistan in 2002-03. I made it back for Mentone 03 and showed some of the guys some pictures on my laptop, including the scariest-ever-Blackhawk-pax shot (flying through a narrow mountain notch into the Madr Valley, looking over the pilots' shoulders with about a square yard of jump-seat material puckered up inside).

In 2004 I crashed and burned on a jump and my Guard unit (so far) has stood by me in a long and frustrating recovery. I lost control of my weight for a while and they still stood by me. The unit went back and I didn't go as I'd just come out of surgery. Haven't flown since 11/07 due to more surgery. Frustrating as hell.

For you Army guys, I've held MOSes 98G, 11B, 18B and 18F. I've also done some contract work. I'm in grad school and looking for more work (you name it, I can do it) while I'm working to broker some aircraft (long and involved story).

I hope to be back un-grounded next month. Time will tell.

cheers

-=K=-

There are far more people that haven't completed BUDS then that have .
I've got nothing to hide and I'm proud of the things that I've done and more proud of the people that I've had the honor to know .
I've done enough unbelievable crap that I hardly fined it necessary to embellish .
I've also done some things that I'm not so proud of as well .

Last edited:
USN 1968-1972 Aviation Electronics Technician 2nd Class Vietnam Era.
The hellish shores of Florida and Rhode Island. I get flashbacks just thinking of some of the t-tty bars.

Last edited:
Thank you for your service Joe .
I know you probably don't like to talk about it .

Spent a few years in the glorious service to this great nation.
1985-1991 C-130 crew chief.

6594 test gp Hickam AFB Hawaii
317 MAW Pope AFB N.C.

USAF 1984-1995. I worked on telephones, one of the best jobs in the AF. Everybody needs phones. We got to see what everyone else did and at times got to play with a lot of it also. I spent 9 years in Europe and did a tour in Saudi Arabia. I miss driving on the Autobahn the most.

Welcome Marine

Welcome Marine

Army
OH-6
OH-58
AH-1F
UH-1H
Currently driving B-777s looking forward to getting the 787.

Air Force in 1954 as airman basic (E-1) Air Police. Retired 1998 as LCDR
(O-4). Of course I had a break in service. Total time 22 1/2 years.

Army 1991-1994. Like Tim I too worked on phones. I was a 31L. I spent two years in Germany and a year and a half in Arizona. Didn't do any of that hero stuff. I just gained a skill that I could use in civilian life. It worked out pretty good for me I just celebrated my tenth anniversary with Verizon.

Dang, no matter where I go or what I do I'm always the "young pup" of the group! It's cool to see so many Mil-types in this sport and that quite a few of us share some common experiences.