Chapter 18's NEW Gyro Project - The Tractor Gyro

We miss you too. (Tom paid me to say that) :D

I should just show up .
Then you would be sorry .
Ahhhh ! The stories I could tell .
No one around here believes me .
They don't think a gyro club could have that much fun .

Poops, If you still lived around here you'd be flying a gyro for sure. (and probably divorced)

We are already discussing our next club project.

Hmmm......I would have thought that a tractor gyro would have plenty of power because the prop is bitting nothing but clear air. and a 532 on a sigle place it's almost the same as a 582 isnt it???

Intake / outlet

Intake / outlet

Hmmm......I would have thought that a tractor gyro would have plenty of power because the prop is bitting nothing but clear air...
I knew that fans and props are not very sensitive on the intake side. But never the less, just 2 weeks ago, I made a 3" prop spacer because I thought the prop was running extremely close to engine etc. - less than 1 in. I was sure to be paid back with a few more pounds of thrust.
But the test showed NO change in thrust.

Outlet is a very different issue.

Attachments

• JPEG Image (44392)-800.jpg
    JPEG Image (44392)-800.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 0
Poops, If you still lived around here you'd be flying a gyro for sure. (and probably divorced)

We are already discussing our next club project.

That's true . My wife is still looking for a viable excuse to dump me .

If having draggy stuff behind the prop will keep a tractor gyro out of the air, how do old airplanes with huge engine cowls and props that only stick out a little bit past them manage to fly?

I see .
I think Tommy know's enough to take care of that for me even if my wife was only 5 years old when I did that stuff .

You guys are going to poke an eye out with that thing!!! Heheheh ... can't wait to see it fly, wish I could be there to help. Kevin

If having draggy stuff behind the prop will keep a tractor gyro out of the air, how do old airplanes with huge engine cowls and props that only stick out a little bit past them manage to fly?

Once past the cowl most were pretty smooth & streamlined (especially compared to an open frame gyro) - also, keep in mind where the highest velocity propwash really is. It's not right at the prop...

Also remember that a gyro by it's very nature is probably the draggiest thing in the air to begin with anyways!

Any updates on the tractor build?

It"s been a while, but did this ever get off the ground? (Literally!)

There have been a number of attempts at a simple tractor design:

1) Tim Blackwell's "Gyro-Deere"
2) David Gittens' Ikenga
3) Murray Barker's "Tugger"
4) George Pate's one-off design

None of them appear to have gone very far, let alone made it into the common models seen at Autogyro fly-ins.

I am interested in seeing the Tractor Gyro movement make some headway!

Thanks.

Quoj.

The project has been abandoned, at least for the time being. Too many issues were brought up and there was too little club interest. We've shifted gears and are in the process of making CAD drawings for our "Monster Gyro" and are going to be building a few of those. So, Chapter 18 is still building, but not a tractor gyro.

Oh, okay.

Thanks for your response, Adam.
I'm sure that you had your reasons (both technical, practical and other) but I still would be encouraged to see a tractor-configured design to be the Mac to the proverbial PC or Chevy vs. Ford to counter the standard Bensen/Brock design pusher.

I know that Tim Blackwell is working on one.
Murray Barker of Australia's ASRA began one, but, due to certain technical issues, it too was pushed to the side.
There have been a couple of one-off designs, all of which have had mixed results as far as airworthiness and ability to perform nominally.

Does anyone know of any simple, ultralight tractor designs that someone can build as an alternative to the standard pusher (even if it is a CLT design?)

Thanks.

Oh, okay.

Thanks for your response, Adam.
I'm sure that you had your reasons (both technical, practical and other) but I still would be encouraged to see a tractor-configured design to be the Mac to the proverbial PC or Chevy vs. Ford to counter the standard Bensen/Brock design pusher.

I know that Tim Blackwell is working on one.
Murray Barker of Australia's ASRA began one, but, due to certain technical issues, it too was pushed to the side.
There have been a couple of one-off designs, all of which have had mixed results as far as airworthiness and ability to perform nominally.

Does anyone know of any simple, ultralight tractor designs that someone can build as an alternative to the standard pusher (even if it is a CLT design?)

Thanks.