RAF Specific; Training & Flying Experiences.

Harry, you are correct about getting the repairman cert. now, but i did not know that until yesterday. while i was putting my raf back together after the trip to SEARCY for training, two people walked up to my hangar, a lady and gentleman, they introduced themselves to me and it was the FAA lady that had given me my repairman cert for my air command about 2 years ago and her husband. after talking a few minutes i mentioned something about my lessons and the 40 hours and then coming to nashville tn. to see her and get the forms sent in. she said you do not have to wait until you have your 40 hours and she would sign the papers now if i had them with me , but they were at home and i said i would run and get them if they had time to wait. she replied well just call me and i will run over to your hangar and i was shocked, as i thought she would have to drive from Nashville, about 60 miles, but she said i live here in town, where you live, and i about fell over. she had just moved to smithville tn. where i live and will run over to my hangar anytime she is at home to finish up my paper work.
what a nice lady and that will save me another 120 miles of driving ; )

got my rotor back on today and about ready to start on my solo flying but will need to add my weight to the passenger side tomorrow and then ready to go.

Congrats Wayne

Sandy is the one that rides with us RAF guys. Glad to see you so close to us here is Arkansas. Sorry that I missed ya during your training week. I talke to Ron Sunday night and said your ship is sweet. I still have to get some time with him to check my little bird out. He is soo busy with everyone else that I am having trouble gettin to see him. I will go there again next week to see about hang testing.

Paul is correct. The drop keel mod is the way to go for stability. Pitch issues are gone . The best part is that it is a relatively simple job. I would suggest that anyone that does the Boyer mod have the angles on the keel welded before you put the butterfly plates on. It should add better strength and as that first bend is where the real stress is, (right after the prop) be sure to watch that area, I see a weakness there on my design.

she had just moved to smithville tn. where i live and will run over to my hangar anytime she is at home to finish up my paper work.

Wayne;

I wouldn't suggest giving her a kiss on the cheek, especially with her husband right there:D but, I would certainly send her a Christmas Card.;)

Keep us posted on your solo flying. Keep it safe.

Cheers :)

Thom;

You need to shift into 2nd gear and catch up with Wayne, Ron and Tom.

Golly, it feels good to have a few more RAF's taking to the sky. Keep it safe, guys.:humble: ;)

If you do my personal stepped keel mod you don't cut the keel more than once, so the extra weight and strength problems do not exist.

Aussie Paul. :)

Harry, that is a beautiful thought and i will send a card of thanks as soon as she sends in my papers. thought i would call her next week.

i talked to our local gyro instructor this week to warn him that i would be getting in contact with him for my x-country when the 40 hrs are over.

I did get to Brewton on Friday and got a couple of hours in that afternoon and several more in on Saturday. After each flight, Dofin spent some time adjusting the pitch of the blades and after each effort, it seemed to fly smoother.

The first flight or two, I found myself clinching the stick way too hard. My movements were not smooth and way to much control input.

After the first few fligfhts, I began to relax a little and "feel" the stick, gripping it with just two fingerts. As I relaxed more and more, I felt like I was more in control and a lot smoother.

We did some 90 degree turns, 180's, 360's and S turns as well as many touch-and-go's.

I've got a ways to go but I loved every second and look forwd to more lessons this coming week.

Tommy

Way to go, Tommy.

Keep us posted as you progress.

I see it didn't take you long to realize..."try to relax and enjoy the adventure"...it's easy enough for the more experienced pilot to say that, but I'm sure that as your hours of experience builds, so will your enjoyment.

Dofin seems to have the majic touch when it comes to adjusting rotor blades for a smoother ride.;)

Looking forward to your next posting.

Harry: This has been a real good thread for the RAF guys. I have noticed something happening. More of the RAF pilots are talking about their flying. It used to be dampened quite a bit because of all the rhetoric that got started about the RAF. Can you imagine if all the guys/gals flying the RAF2000 would come out of the woodwork and post their stories? That would be a huge thread. You have at least got the door cracked open....and hopefully many more will chime in on their experiences as well.

That was one reason I posted so much while enjoyinrg the 235 hours in my RAF2000. I caught a little flack...but was just too stubborn to keep my exuberance hidden. I loved flying that RAF....and if I had to do it all over again...I would progress from each gyro I have flown and not do anything different.

Presently I really think I am going to stick with my SparrowHawk for a long time....and really get to know it.:)

Stan

Harry: This has been a real good thread for the RAF guys. I have noticed something happening. More of the RAF pilots are talking about their flying. It used to be dampened quite a bit because of all the rhetoric that got started about the RAF. Can you imagine if all the guys/gals flying the RAF2000 would come out of the woodwork and post their stories? That would be a huge thread. You have at least got the door cracked open....and hopefully many more will chime in on their experiences as well.

Stan, I thank you for your post, as I'm sure all the other RAF'ers do, as well.

So far...it's been nice, clean and enjoyable hearing from others and especially from the pilots in training.

I for one, would like to see you post some of your RAF experiences. Maybe that would entice more of the many RAF pilots out there to post, also.

A nice appropriate pic with the post would fit in real good...I'm thinking of your flight over the big fire; some time back.:whoo:

Harry: I will be glad to retell the fire story.

I had noticed some smoke on the horizon....and this was just what I needed for another "mission" for my RAF. Everyone knows how much I loved that machine ....and it gave me 235 hours of pleasure.

There was a small town 10 miles away that a warehouse caught fire. I flew up and took these pictures.

Stan

Attachments

• 1a1a8g.JPG
    1a1a8g.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 1a1a8h.JPG
    1a1a8h.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 1a1a8i.JPG
    1a1a8i.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 1a1a8j.JPG
    1a1a8j.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 1a1a8l.JPG
    1a1a8l.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 1a1a8m.JPG
    1a1a8m.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 1
just for the information, i have 17 hrs. on my raf todate and per Ron's instructions of doing a post flight check after each flight, i found one of my exhaust springs broke as soon as i got on the ground. fixed it today and ready to go again. just might go ahead and install the wheel pants and will post another photo of the finished product if i can talk MR. HARRY into putting them on the forum for me. i need to set down and learn to do this myself???

Heres some from flying with Pat Mcnear at Bensen days. Pat is the nicest guy...and I cant wait to go an get some more RAF hog spotting time with him.

You can see some wild hogs here...and some pictures of a huge dragline.

His low level flying is just what I do all the time up here in Illinois. When we were flying this year at Bensen days....I made a comment...."This is heaven on earth" and I meant it big time. He replied back with that ol smile of his..."It doesnt get any better than this"

We were both right.

Stan

Attachments

• 1a1a1a1a1a1a1benm.JPG
    1a1a1a1a1a1a1benm.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 1a1a1a1a1a1a1benl.JPG
    1a1a1a1a1a1a1benl.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 1a1a1a1a1a1a1benn.JPG
    1a1a1a1a1a1a1benn.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 1a1a1a1a1a1a1benr.JPG
    1a1a1a1a1a1a1benr.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 1a1a1a1a1a1a1bens.JPG
    1a1a1a1a1a1a1bens.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 1
  • 1a1a1a1a1a1a1benu.JPG
    1a1a1a1a1a1a1benu.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 1a1a1a1a1a1a1benza.JPG
    1a1a1a1a1a1a1benza.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 1a1a1a1a1a1a1benj.JPG
    1a1a1a1a1a1a1benj.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 1
Hey Wayne,

I lost one of my exhaust springs and thank God it didn't hit the prop. Anyway, both of mine are now saftey wired to make sure that if they break or come loose in the future, they hopefully won't do any damage.;)

inspection authorization

inspection authorization

Howdy all,

Well, today I finished the 2 day course for the LSA mechinacial inspection authorization and received my temporary certificate. I think that I am the first to receive this authorization for a gyroplane.

The course was taught by Marty Weaver CFII and Kelly Teague CFII-A&P AI.

It is specific to my RAF only but if I get another gyro, all I will need is an endorsement to get it transfered to another machine. Basically, it allows me to do the condition inspection on my ELSA. The neat thing about the ELSA cert on my machine is that if I transfer it to someone else, they can get the same mech insp auth. and do their own condition inspections.

It was a good course and Marty and Kelly are great guys and did an outstanding job on putting it together.:whoo:

Paul

Do you have it registered as ELSA? Is your weight limit 1320?

Congrats.

Thom

The weight limit is designed at 1320 lbs Thom. It is not registered as ELSA at this stage. The resposibilities of the manufacturer of an ELSA are a bit daunting.

We will start our sales in Oz and NZ while making decisions re other countries.

Aussie Paul. :)

just for the information, i have 17 hrs. on my raf todate and per Ron's instructions of doing a post flight check after each flight, i found one of my exhaust springs broke as soon as i got on the ground. fixed it today and ready to go again. just might go ahead and install the wheel pants and will post another photo of the finished product if i can talk MR. HARRY into putting them on the forum for me. i need to set down and learn to do this myself???

Bring 'em on Wayne. Am happy to do it for you.

Don't take so long between photos.;)...We all look forward to someone posting pics for viewing.

Fly safe Wayne.

Howdy all,

Well, today I finished the 2 day course for the LSA mechinacial inspection authorization and received my temporary certificate. I think that I am the first to receive this authorization for a gyroplane.

Congrats Paul.

Is this for one specific aircraft, or can you use it on any other A/C, and not owned by you?

Pardon me for asking a dumb question; I am not at all into this LSA stuff. I'm not young enough to be concerned about it but maybe I can ask dumb questions that may help someone else?!

Is this similar or equal to the Repairman Certificate for an "N" numbered A/C?!