Did anyone build a gyro with HS and VS before propeller?

autogyro

Greetings Day

I want to build a gyro with HS and VS before propeller, the fuselage will be more clean than that after propeller, I think. Did anyone build that gyro? Would anybody give me view about this idea?
Thanks
Regards
Edward

Attachments

• hs-befor-pro.jpg
    hs-befor-pro.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 0
This provision is more difficult for many reasons:
-long shaft (torsional vibration)
-less space available for the propeller (bad performance)
-less leverage for VS
-least as a lever to the HS
Facing these problems, which are the benefits?

I personally wouldn't think it is a better go over configurations we see mostly nowadays.For at lest two things:The air flow blowing on VS and HS would be much,much slower than others;your VS/HS as an aerodynamic component dosen't take the advantage of a long moment arm.These two might have led to lack of purposes of the layout.
And...with a prop set further aft,there could be a big chance for the rotors to make a big bite on something.There would be other things to think about like power transition,landinggear arrangement...But all the same,forget my words as they are only things in a greenhand's mind.

This provision is more difficult for many reasons:
-long shaft (torsional vibration)
-less space available for the propeller (bad performance)
-less leverage for VS
-least as a lever to the HS
Facing these problems, which are the benefits?

hah,you said it all.

Greetings Day

I want to build a gyro with HS and VS before propeller, the fuselage will be more clean than that after propeller, I think. Did anyone build that gyro? Would anybody give me view about this idea?
Thanks
Regards
Edward

Twinstar at Air & Space America, in Paducah Kentucky.

Worked very well.

Attachments

• twinstarn72de.jpg
    twinstarn72de.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 0
For another variation, look up the old Avian 2/180 (a Canadian design that was certified Standard Airworthiness in the U.S. but didn't go into production).
It had a duct around the prop.

Attachments

• Avian_RightQuarter.jpg
    Avian_RightQuarter.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 0
Edward - the critical parameter for a stabilizer design is the stabilizer "volume". The stabilizer volume is the area of the airfoil, multiplied by it's distance from the aircraft CG. The effectiveness of a stabilizer is directly proportional to it's volume. The damping provided by a stabilizer is directly proportional to the square of it's distance from the CG, or it's volume, multiplied by the distance from the CG.

The effectiveness of the stabilizer/control surface may be boosted by placing it inside the prop wash, but provisions must be made for the certain eventuality of engine failure at every corner of the flight envelope.

Udi

For another variation, look up the old Avian 2/180 (a Canadian design that was certified Standard Airworthiness in the U.S. but didn't go into production).
It had a duct around the prop.

Thank you WaspAir. The ducted frame of the Avian 2/180 should have the function of HS and VS, is it right?

Edward - the critical parameter for a stabilizer design is the stabilizer "volume". The stabilizer volume is the area of the airfoil, multiplied by it's distance from the aircraft CG. The effectiveness of a stabilizer is directly proportional to it's volume. The damping provided by a stabilizer is directly proportional to the square of it's distance from the CG, or it's volume, multiplied by the distance from the CG.

The effectiveness of the stabilizer/control surface may be boosted by placing it inside the prop wash, but provisions must be made for the certain eventuality of engine failure at every corner of the flight envelope.

Udi

Thank you Udi, you told me the nature of my problem.