Chromoly Joystick

madwinger

OldFartium Member
Aircraft
No longer own a gyro.
Total Flight Time
64 SEL in training, 0 Gyro
I want to replace the aluminum joy stick on my Air Command with chromoly.

I just need to know what wall thickness you all in the know would recommend.

Thanks

Mark

I made a new aluminum one for my Mini-500 a few months ago and I used OEM spec. size 6061 T-6 tube. 1" O.D. 0.035" wall, More than adequate.

My Brantly had 3/4" O.D. chromoly, 0.035" wall.

Mark,

I don't know the different thicknesses that chrommoly is available in, but I know my SSC originally used an aluminum Cyclic stick and Larry later changed to a chromoly stick. I just went and measured mine. The wall thickness on the tube I have is ".0750" inches. I believe this is very strong and may be overkill, but that's what he went with.

Doug

Never use aluminum on any joystick. A couple of sticks have broke in flight.

been told

been told

Never use aluminum on any joystick. A couple of sticks have broke in flight.

Brent, yes I have been warned by a few others including Desmond. I am gathering needed parts and materials for some up grades and the joystick is one. I just do not know how thick the wall needs to be.

Doug thank you for checking the thickness on yours.

Bryan, also thank you for the input.

Mark

I thought I remembered an old bulletin on the Air Command website, and found it dated 1997, but it was only considered urgent for two-place machines:

http://www.aircommand.com/safety.php

... but the recommendation was 0.058" wall chromoly. The bulletin says these sticks are available from the factory.

Paul, thank you that is perfect. If its good enough for a two place it will make my single that much safer too.

I will order a length and I have a place here in Salt Lake that will bend it for me to the same shape as the existing joystick.

Thanks again Paul for finding that bulletin.

Mark

I am a scaredy-cat when it comes to joysticks, so I would go for the od you have now but go the next size up from from .058 to .062 (from memory, or is it .068?) cant remember, but on a pump stick there is a lot of stress right at the universal/rocker joint, so I would personally go the next step up from .058I would prefer the stick weighs a few ounces more but be strong as all get out :cool:. What I used to do on mine was fill the tube (once all the bending and welding is done) with expanding foam (part a and part b, stir then pour down the tube) it sets and makes any bending/flexing near on impossible. I fill straight suspension tubes as well.... once a tube is full of this stuff.... it will never bend:yo:

Last edited: