Great flying in Orange County

scott heger

Custom-made Troublemaker
Aircraft
SportCopter Bell 206L-1
Total Flight Time
This weekend took a great flight around Orange County, Calif. Started off at my home airport in Corona in Riverside County. Launch temp was 82 F and 4MPH wind at 11AM. Perfect weather for flying in shorts and a tshirt. Filled the SportCopter up to the very top with fuel and I was off to Orange County.
Flew southwest over the old El Toro Air Marine Station. There were many r/c planes flying around on the airstrip. Next flew to Dana Point harbor, and turned and headed up the coastline at 300-400 AGL. The smell of the fresh salt air was intoxicating. Passed the Ritz Carlton Hotel, and into Laguna Beach. The weather was cooler along the coast but completely clear. I could see Los Angeles harbor, more than 30 miles away. The sky was cloudless, and the water was blue and clear. There were many seals sunning themselves on the rocks and dolphins swimming around near shore. Little kids were waving from the beach as I flew by, watching their smiling faces and me dodging seagulls. I continued up the coast to the South end of Newport Beach, and turned back inland over the cities of Irvine and Tustin. Flew back into the Santa Ana Canyons, over Irvine Lake, and back into Riverside County. Practiced a few 180 autos over Prado Dam on my way back.
Five airplanes were in the pattern when I got back to Corona, so I elected to land on the grass next to my hanger(a approved proceedure) and stay out of their way. A flawless landing topped a 1.5 hour fun filled memorable flight. For all the newbies, this is what all the work and training is about. It is not about how fast you get there, it is what you get to see and experience along the way. I drove home from the airport thinking about all the good things life has to offer, flying being just one of them. After two 70 hour work weeks in a row, this was just "what the doctor" ordered.

Scott Heger, Laguna Niguel, Ca SportCopter N86SH

Scott, I saw a Tractor on my last flight & the smell of cow dung was intox....Uh nausiating.

You need a gyro cam! C'mon share the California experience!

Scott: That was beautifully described; I actually flew along with you, in spirit.

I just got back from flying myself, only mine was out over horse country and limestone quarrys, some being worked and some abandoned. A pretty day...about 80, blue skies and fluffy clouds.

Scott, Chris is right. You need a camera!

I picked up a digital camera last week which I hope will come in handy when I get flying. It does beautiful still shots, and JPEG movies up to 30 seconds long, with sound. The pictures these other guys are posting have really raised the bar!

Scott,

Thanks for the great post. Made me feel like I was flying along with you.

Rob Dubin

Hi Scott, Your discription of your flight was beautifully stated and I am happy for you having such a nice trip. It sounds like you really deserved it.

Scott: Your flight description says it all. Although I dont have an ocean to look at....there are endless miles of farm ground to check out at low level...just taking it in while flying a gyro is hard to explain,...but you do it best. :)

Stan