Rotary Wing Forum  

Go Back   Rotary Wing Forum > General > Administration and Problem Report

Old 11-25-2016, 08:39 AM

Exclamation This forum has been hacked!

This forum has been hacked with a redirect hack which sends people to various sites including the one in the title.
This happens when you do a Google or other search engine search and click on a link to the rotaryforum.com/forum/
https://www.google.com/search?q=site...rum.com/forum/
and is a known exploit of vBulletin powered boards.
I found more info on it here http://www.webhostchat.co.uk/busines...ct-google.html
Just Google it: Vbulletin redirecting to filestore72.info

Hope this is of some help to the admins
Old 11-25-2016, 09:14 AM

Well that explains my experience.

The other day I was trying to find an old thread and was using Google to search the forum for it and would occasionally be redirected to filestore72.info, which I would immediately close.

I thought something funny was going on there as it's never happened before.

Old 11-25-2016, 12:06 PM
Forum Supporter

I think it's your browser that got hacked.
Only problem I ever got here was server busy.

FRANK
Old 11-26-2016, 08:39 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK'S View Post
I think it's your browser that got hacked.
Only problem I ever got here was server busy.
No, it's not. Just try to open Private session in your browser, or clear cookies. And go to https://www.google.com/search?q=site...rum.com/forum/
Then click to any result and you'll be redirected to other website.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:12 AM

But if I enter the forum's address directly in my browser I am delivered here just fine.

-- Chris.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:55 AM

That's not a hack; it's just a bad server configuration.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:47 AM

I didn't really know what you were talking about until I was searching Google and it found some results that said they were on the Rotary Wing Forum. When I went to look at the results, it was a redirect. Its ashamed because I think google searches on alternate engines, and anything rotor wing you often get RWF results and I believe that's how some new people discover the forum. Those people are now directed to spam.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:27 AM

It's not a hack and it's not spam. This server is misconfigured and is redirecting traffic from Google to its file host. The server admin needs to fix it.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:24 AM

FYI, it is still happening as of today. (I did come to the forum via Google, as explained by the folks above.)
Old 12-23-2016, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member

I'm having the same experience when accessing the site using a Google search.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:52 AM
Platinum Member

I'm missing something. Why would regulars here come in through a Google search?
Editor, Western Rotorcraft
Old 12-23-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW_Plack View Post
Sometimes the search here is too vague. If I want a picture of a Gyrobee rotor head and type that in this search I may get 20 pages of hits, none of which have a picture of anything remotely similar to what I'm after. Search for Gyrobee rotor head on Google images, quickly find the picture of what you want, and be redirected here. Sometimes it's just easier.

For what it's worth, I have found that when Google sends me to the wrong site I can go back to the last page I viewed, click the link again, and will be directed to the page I was originally after. I hope that makes sense???
Old 12-27-2016, 10:21 AM

If you want to use Google to search the site, you have to copy the link and paste it into your address bar to get it to work.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW_Plack View Post
I often start out on Google and (as an example) search "Yamaha aircraft engine". There have been many times when the search results come up with results within the RWF. If a result looks interesting, you use to click on it and it would take you to the correct page on the RWF. Now it takes you to spam.

FWIW
Jason
Old 01-14-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
I understand the question, and the address bar does auto-populate for me, I stumbled onto the redirect while testing a new install of the Google Chrome OS that I was planning to hand off to a 10 year old. The forum runs on an Apache server and it has been stated that it is a server configuration error and that rewrite rules in .htaccess may help. I am not so sure. The redirect ONLY happens from the Google results. Google has indexed a bad site. Here is some insight from Stackoverflow.com where you find the best and brightest developers on the www (see below). This site uses the VBulletin running on an Apache server so the admin may want to consider reaching out to the developers for insight in preventing it. Another option may be to purchase another domain and redirect the site to that domain. Then wait for Googles algorithm to to flush the index and then redirect the site back. Just a few ideas. The site is on a shared server as can be seen by this virtual private server address http://vps.zoniehosting.com/~rotary/forum/index.php - that will also bring you here! Perhaps we could all chip in $5 to get a more reliable host! The domain is on GoDaddy and I do not know much about Rice Bowl Productions.

Reading some of the posts on this site I can easily see how regulars would use Google to get here - a lot of guys are not computer savvy and only poke their head in once in a while.

Quote:
You cannot directly stop Google from indexing other sites, but what you could do is add the cannonical tag to your pages so Google can see that the original content is located on your domain and not "bad domain". For example check out : https://support.google.com/webmaster...r/139394?hl=en

Other actions can be taken SEO wise if the 'baddomain' is outscoring you in the search rankings, because then it sounds like your site could use some optimizing. The better your site and domain rank in the SERPs, the less likely it is that people will see the scraped content and 'baddomain'.

You could however also look at the referrer for the request and if it is 'bad domain' you should be able to do a redirect to your own domain, change content etc, because the code is being run from your own server. But that might be more trouble than it's worth as you'd need to investigate how the 'baddomain' is doing things and code accordingly. (properly iframe or similar from what you describe, but that can still be circumvented using scripts).

Depending on what country you and 'baddomain' are located in, there are also legal actions. So called DMCA complaints. This however can also be quite a task, and well - it's often not worth it because a new domain will just pop up.
Here is the whois.domaintools.com result for the site I am being redirected to:http://whois.domaintools.com/filestore72.info

Of course it holds a private domain registration, but if I were Todd Powell I would reach out to GoDaddy and contact these people through the private registration. The SEO score is 98% compared to 76% for RotaryForum - in addition the "referrer" is Godaddy.

John

Last edited by johnrk; 01-14-2017 at 08:10 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: