Rotary Wing Forum  

Go Back   Rotary Wing Forum > General > Off Topic

Old 01-12-2017, 07:00 PM
Gold Member

Chris and Jordan sum it up pretty well.

It's a helluva sketchy data set we are working with, 80% of the world is ocean, ocean temperature data at best goes back to 1956, and the technology/methods of measuring have changed four times in that period.

And anyone who has ever played with multi-variable computer models knows how much difference the tiniest tweaks to input variables can make.

I'm sitting on the fence, but I do say that those drawing clearcut conclusions from the available data are highly influenced by their beliefs.

My biggest worry of it all has been the compounding of that belief system with another belief system: that 'the market' is the solution to all problems, and so what we need is 'a price on carbon' and a world wide carbon trading scheme. Much loved by the World Bank and the UN, and all the major financial institutions were foaming at the mouth in their eagerness to set up carbon desks and carbon trading.

This simply will NOT work as advertised: different economies, currencies, levels of development/industrialization, levels of education ... etc etc. There would be so many adjustment levers involved it would be a horribly artificial market.
I think big finance could see a 'whole new economy' which they were setting up and would run.

If there is a problem, we'd better find better solution than carbon trading.

I agree with this: "The solution is local and not global and it should focus on pollution not CO2. We need to be focussing on sustainability at a local scale not climate change on global scale, the latter will never work but former is doable."

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: