My new ride

Mayfield

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Aero SP AT-4 (Gobosh 700X), TAG Titanium Explorer
Built by Gary Root of Berkley, CA. One of just a few Hatz Classic Bi Planes.

I've seen several Hatz CB-1s, but this is the first Classic I've found. I promptly bought it. I think I will have a ball with this aircraft.

The plan right now is to pick it up in Sonoma around the end of the month and ferry it to Phoenix.

I still enjoy gyros. I'll eventually sell my modified RAF and buy a tandem Dominator for gyro fun.

Jim

Attachments

• hatz3.jpg
    hatz3.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Excellant choice Jim! I'm sure you will end up loving her.....

At one time I was wanting to build either a Hatz or a StarDuster Two. The Hatz was high on the list because of its design and it could be built in less time.

I was sitting here thinking about the Hatz and I remembered why I chose it. It was much easier to modify it to a stagger-wing and I think stretch it ~12". I wanted to fly the front seat, have good visibility and I loved the stagger-wing look. And yes, even back then, I wanted to build anything differently ;). Why didn't I do it;…..for some hare-brained reason I now can't fathom, I decided to get hitched…..and those type of dreams went dormant. I really want a do-over……

Last edited:
JIm

Did you abandon your tractor project ?????

Tony

Nice Hatz,there is a guy here in NC not far from me that has one he has flown the heck out of,he made several trips to bartesville (sp) Biplane fly-in.

you will really enjoy that plane.

Congratulations Jim!

Congratulations Jim!

I thought about you when I saw her on Barnstormers.

She appears to be nicely built and I like the O-320.

All the best, Vance

Thanks guys.

Vance, as you and I discussed it was between a Hatz and a Stearman. The Hatz Classic has round, sensuous lines. She's not slab sided like the CB-1.

She is good for ~6Gs positive so big lazy loops and rolls will be elegant. She is simple and, I hope, honest.

Tony, my tractor project is very much on the back burner. We'll see what happens after I retire; again.

Jim

Attachments

• hatz2b.jpg
    hatz2b.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jim,
Congratulations that is one Sweet Ride! It's very Romantic too... will you be able to get the Wife to ride along? I hope so!

When Vance & I attend airshows these type of aircraft always catch my eye!

Tell you other half I said "Howdy"

♥Ed♥

Nice!!!

Nice!!!

Hello Jim,

I like the simple panel and the wooden stick.

She seems to be a pilot’s airplane where you listen to and feel the wind.

I suspect she will be more fun for you than a Stearman and cost much less to fly.

Is there room for both aircraft in your hangar?

Have fun, Vance

Jim- What a classy plane for a classy guy! Enjoy it...and post some adventures with her.

Stan

Thanks Ed, Stan, Vance

I think I'll be able to get the modified RAF in sideways in front of the biplane.

We'll see.

Jim

Jim

What I can't figure out is how you get those wings to rotate both above and below the fuselage. :)

Mark