Local airport to close

Stan, everyone, the people who argue to close airports often try to use its costs as a justification, but it's usually really about one of three things:

(1) Alderman has a constituent who complains about the noise, but who moved in years after the airport was built, so he knows the noise argument is lame.

(2) Alderman has been lobbied, befriended or "economically incentivized" by a developer who'd like to get his hands on the property.

(3) Aldermen sees the potential for more local property tax revenue if the airport is turned into a Walmart or a condo development.

If there's a squeaky wheel in some town councilman's district, you may be able to find that person by researching records of speakers at previous meetings. If there's been a bribe, it may be beyond the ability of the individual citizen to find out.

Another tactic which might have been effective in this case would have been to get some of the farmers who'd pay the resulting higher costs of cropdusting to attend. Glad you didn't need the backup!

Good ending there, Stan.

Our City fathers (none of which are pilots) want to put a tower at our airport. I think it's a prestige thing since we're the Las Cruces International Airport. A couple of commercial turbo-prop pilots and one or two snobs are about the only airport users that want a tower. We're just not that busy. Oh, well.

Great story and great ending. After the courtcase recently you once more worked the system. Justice is served again,

Kai.

Been there brother

Been there brother

Congratulations on the save of the airport Stan! I know what it's like to have to fight airport Bureaucracy. I went through a similar fight back in 1991 when I wanted to build a hangar at Lincoln.

It still amazes me to this day that people are willing to sacrifice such a rare treasure as an airport to a couple ill-informed loudmouths with nothing better to do.

The tragic loss of Miegs Field was mentioned. The problem there was that Daley realized that by summarily shutting it down, he could make more short-term money from developers than the fines from the FAA would cost him. A dollars & cents decision.

Of course, he hates GA anyway, so he didn't lose a lot of sleep...

Stan, you are the man, and what a great bunch of other supporters, were with you at the meeting, you and all the rest should be very proud of this achievement, for what is left of our country, airports. i wanted to build a row of hangars at our local airport here in middle Tenn, with 4 other partners and i went 1 1/2 years to city council meetings, before it was approved, and they only give us a 10 year lease on what we paid for. we have beautiful hangars with bi-fold doors at a cost of $148,000. ten years ago, i just had a meeting with the city Manager and he has agreed to possibly give us another 5 years on our lease, which will be a much more fair, lease, for the 5 of us. today we have a new city council and mayor that is a little more aviation and business minded, than in the past. also my partners and myself have paid our electricity for the past 10 years and just yesterday the city manager agreed to put the electricity in the city's name. This summer the city decided to build more hangars just like the ones we have and the federal government will pay 90% while the city will pay 10 % of the new hangar cost. the new hangars will cost between $700,000. and $800,000.----Wow What an increase in 10 years.

Wayne

The cost difference may also be attributed to the fact that public money is being used. I have never known the bureaucracy of government to be efficient in anything other than self aggrandizement.

been there and done many things

been there and done many things

Stan I have been figting for my airport for more than 10 years. Finally we won for now. AFter several letters to FAA(airports that get fed fund have to give you min 25 years service) and also prooving that for safety we are a relief airport for a bigger one 25 miles away, we stop the local goverment on closing it. You need to have a non-profit group composed of neightbors,pilots business owners etc. That want the airport open.

We normally dont advertise the good things we do as charity flights, taking chieldrens for free. motivating the young ones to get it to aviation carrer and keeping them out of drugs.

We are a legite sport. Recognized by the FAI(federation of international aviation) they are member of the COI( International olimpic team) SO aviation is an olimpic sport. check www.fai.org.

This said we need our courts to practice (the airports) airports that have a certaine volume can get 150k yearly for maintenace. Also fed will pay 95% of the cost of building hangars, airport only pays 5%.

You can also try to lease it. Last chace FAA on the AIP program can give money to buy it from the county and keep it open. Remeber is safety/conviniance we need to preach to convince FAA.

WIsh you well. any thing I can help let me know.

CharlesP:plane: