Used Fast-Opening Parachute Wanted

Ron E

Just Want To Have Fun!
I'm looking for a used "throw-able" type or a fast opening rig like might be used in BASE jumping.

I'm going to be a test pilot soon and just want an alternate method of getting back on the ground safely, if needed.

Last edited:
I've got an 87 wonderhog with reversed leg hardware, a 1979 pioneer 22ft tricon and a crossported Peg with about only 50 jumps on it. A throw out

The lines look new and it's first jump was off the New River Gorge Bridge.

I've also got a 79 wonderhog with a 79 safety flyer. Also a throw out.

It sounds like you want a want a tersh?

Do you plan on bailing out or riding it down?

you might check into www.dropzone.com

If you think you're going to jump you should train for it.

Last edited:
fast opening chute

fast opening chute

I've got an 87 wonderhog with reversed leg hardware, a 1979 pioneer 22ft tricon and a crossported Peg with about only 50 jumps on it. A throw out

The lines look new and it's first jump was off the New River Gorge Bridge.

I've also got a 79 wonderhog with a 79 safety flyer. Also a throw out.

It sounds like you want a want a tersh?

Do you plan on bailing out or riding it down?

you might check into www.dropzone.com

If you think you're going to jump you should train for it.

I am not familiar with those brands at all. What is a "tersh"?

I wouldn't depart the gyro if it was controllable. If I should break something and things fall apart, I'm out of there.

When I did some skydiving many years ago, I used a round U.S. Air Force surplus parachute with "double L" modifications for some directional control and a small "conical " reserve. Some of the real pros were using the now-ancient Para Commander canopy that permitted some stand-up landings and sink rate control, because it had brakes.

I made many jumps from up to 12,500 ft. that allowed a 60 second free-fall when pulling the ripcord at 2,800 ft. Now I want a chute just for use when doing some test flying of the Rotor Scooter gyro, not for more sky diving or for doing BASE jumps. For my personal safety and peace of mind, not for fun, and only as a last resort.

I like this one, the chair chute, for comfort and it might be a good choice for everyday use for flights over 600 ft. altitude:

http://www.butlerparachutes.com/chairpac.htm

http://www.butlerparachutes.com/

Last edited:
Will you be testing your new ultralight Ron?

tersch, tertiary, third, mounts to the front of a harness with a carabiner and has a long bridle.

You peel it down and throw the whole thing out to the side. It's good for getting around a double malfunction.

If you're worried about crashing you should consider one of the rocket propelled parachutes, or improve your design.

Ron, The chair type parachutes are used by a lot of pilots that do aerobatics. They are very comfortable and feel like your sitting on a seat cushion. One of those would suit your needs better than a skydiving rig.

Resasi,

Yes I will. I will do the stability tests described by Greg G. and some other stuff. I will try to break it, at altitude of course. I will video it all, on-board and on the ground.

Robert,

Thanks for that explanation. A few of the jumpers I knew used a piggy-back setup that automatically deployed the reserve when the main canopy was released when the main chute failed to open. This setup was intended to prevent the main and the reserve from getting tangled. I think the main canopy actually deployed the reserve as it separated from the harness. No reserve in the front, everything was worn on your back.

One test flies a new design to determine if it is sound to begin with. If not, the design is "improved" as needed to make it so. For example, if my control system breaks at 2,000 ft. heads for the ground sideways, then a parachute would be a handy item to be wearing.

I don't like relying on rockets, and the spark that ignites it, to deploy a parachute my life may depend. It's just my thing.

Tim,

That's the one I like the most for my intended use. The Butler Chair Parachute container and the Butler LoPo 450 canopy are pricey though, right at $3,000. But how much is it worth to be able to fly another day. I'm not so concerned about loosing the aircraft. I can build another one.
http://www.butlerparachutes.com/LoPo Intro page.htm

Good luck with the test flights Ron. Have you got the mechanical or electrical prerotator on that one?

Had the X-Bow piggyback with a Para-Commander. Used the cutaway system once. Had to remember to cut away one side before the other for it to deploy the reserve correctly. If not you could end up with a big bunch of laundry up there. Used a small conical reserve that let you down really fast. Broke a heel that time

Ron,

I buy all of my parachutes from Allen Silver ( silver parachutes) in the USA. A new mini softy costs around $2000. Chair style are also available. occasionally he sells used equipment. I have bought 5 parachutes until now and his service is grate.

here is a link for his website and the used equipment he has currently for sale.

http://www.silverparachutes.com/used_equip.html

I feel that hiring a test pilot would be a more effective use of funds.

A good test pilot will find out in less than an hour what it would take me a long time to learn and then I would not be certain of what I had learned.

They can find where your aircraft’s performance is weak and suggest enhancements.

Each time I go up in a strange gyroplane I am amazed at how different it flies.

In my experience it is easy to accept a defect as normal if you haven’t had a wide ranging experience in gyroplanes.

Thank you, Vance

You might consider building the seat to accept a pilots rig.

That way it would be your cushion and you could fly with it all the time.

It's one of the things on my wish list.

Resasi,

I'll use the 12 Volt unit with a belt-drive and a sprag on the rotor pulley with a PWM controller for a "throttle" to keep the amps lower, turning up my 22' Dragon Wings I have on-hand.

Nicolas,

Thanks for the info on Silver. I called him Thursday and left a message. It looks like he can save me about a $1,000 USD over Butler Parachute for almost the same thing, maybe with a faster opening canopy too(no slider needed on the suspension lines to slow the opening).

Vance,

I want a good, comfortable, low-altitude parachute anyway, to use on cross-country trips too. So the chute will get regular use thereafter.

Later on I'll get someone more experienced to fly it to determine if I need to change or correct something. The Rotor Scooter has 2 exclusive features that no other gyro has (that I can find anyway) which I especially want to test out thoroughly. But I can't give any details on those things yet.

Robert,

The chair canopy containers sold by Butler and Silver both give some "cushy" to one's rear-end, and they don't raise you up so high in the seat. That's why I am gyrating toward that particular container shape. It's a cross between a back pack and a seat pack.

The seat I have is a flexible bucket seat that the "chair" container is most compatible. But I can easily change the seat to what is needed at the time.

Last edited: