For sale Rare Helicopter, classic Helicom Commuter H-1B N814S

animal

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hillman Hornet N8063D
Update june 12-2010 due to this machine needing more adjustments then I first thought I am pulling it off the market.

I do not want to sell it until I am happy that it will be full safe.

this helicopter has a very complex rotor system that I am not use to adjusting.

Ok
just got the blade tracking lights today. if I can get a test pilot,just maybe we will get to see it fly before it goes.

anyway I know there have been several lurking waiting for me to announce when it is for sale, well that time is now.

As most know and was stated in the first page of the restore thread I bought this helicopter to resell .

I had a buyer lined up before I bought it, but mid way thru he backed out. so if you know anyone wanting a good time builder that has cash and ready to buy. please send them my way.

Below is the same add I have listed on another site.

For sale : Very Rare Complete Experimental Helicom Commuter H-1B single seat Helicopter with all current FAA paperwork and and I even have a set of the 1960's full size plans and it is currently registered ( N814S ) $30,000

The Commuter is the Grand daddy of the CHR baby belle/Safari Helicopter. Even the Safari website history says that the Safari evolved from the Helicom commuter.

This machine I own is very much a part of home built helicopter and the Helicom company history and was even at one time owned by the company tamarand International – the company that bought the design rights in the mid 80's from Helicom and was even flown by the designer him self Harold “Pop” Emigh as he has endorsed the log books. Later Bob Dart of mayville new york Bought the design right ( international helicopters ) and he has even endorsed the log books.
I even have a pic of it flying when first built.

If I was Helicopter rated I would keep it and enjoy it as it is a well built and Very Rare helicopter.

Now the rest of the story.

I bought it to restore to sell to a man that agreed to buy it as a time builder when restored, mid way through the restore the buyer backed out.
So now I need to find a new buyer as I am not helicopter rated .

I have the helicopter up to the running stage and I have done a restore thread on the Rotarywing forum at http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22141 and here is a short Video of the very first test start since the restore. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--A9Iczesv8 note in this Video I don't have the idle set or the blades tracked.

This was the first time it was started since 1992 and as you can see she fired right up. I was hoping to get it test flown before listing it, but my test pilot is away and not sure when he can travel to my location to test it .

There are over 300 plus pages on the Forum restore thread and more being added as I test this helicopter. It is running great and in the stage of final rotor adjustments.

This will be a great helicopter for someone wanting to build Helicopter time, it is built very strong, 4130 steel airframe with fiberglass covering.

It is powered with a true aircraft engine, Cont. C90-12F modifyed to 100 h.p. The engine mounts vertically like in a Bell-47 has great oil pressure. As would be expected since the engine only has about 15 hours on it and was pickled when stored.
It has 2 6 gal. Fuel tanks with a range of 130 miles with 30 minute reserve 170 miles with no reserve. Flys at 75 m.p.h. Max rate of climb 1,670 f.p.m. Vert. Rate of climb 500 f.p.m. Hover ceiling out of ground effect 6,800 feet ,service ceiling 10,000 feet as reported in janes aircraft 1969-1970 this helicopter is rated for a max pilot weight of 300 pounds. So this helicopter is a power house. The first commuters flew on 65 h.p.

The helicopter is located in Greensboro n.c. And availabe for inspection to a buyer. Call Tim aka Animal at 336-674-0451 or E-mail me and I can send you pics of any part of this helicopter you wish to see. Of course most pics are already on the Forum.

where else can you buy a helicopter with this complete back ground and info?
The price is negotiable but I will not just give this helicopter away.

Attachments

• IM000038.jpg
    IM000038.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IM000060.jpg
    IM000060.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Good job Tim!!!
Advertise, advertise, advertise.....

Man I wish I was a bit closer. How far is the airport from you?
Gabor the airport is not far from me at all,I could easyily pick you up if you want to come visit, heck we even have a spare bedroom and my 90 year old mother is one heck of a cook.

I bet you would have a blast test flying this machine. I got the blade tracking lights today, wow CHR was fast sending them out. hope to do some test runs this week end. I think I am going to mark the blade hubs with a sharpie so I have a referance point to adjust from and go back to if I get it worse..lol

I just got to make sure I don't put in to much pitch or I may be flying and not ready to.

who ever buys this baby is getting a sweet helicopter, wish I was legal to fly it. but hey the 2 seat project I am looking at might can be ready to fly buy the time ROC rolls around. Dual controls will make animal a happy owner. :D

I have gotten 2 E-mails so far about it, so now only time will tell how long it takes to sell.

OK Tim. I just checked the airline tickets. US Airlines is direct flight from Daytona Beach. Did you want me to fly into Greensboro or Charlotte?

OK Tim. I just checked the airline tickets. US Airlines is direct flight from Daytona Beach. Did you want me to fly into Greensboro or Charlotte?
Greenboro,I am probably 65 miles or more from Charlotte.

and I know my car won't make that trip.
hence the reason i got to move this Commuter.

Looking forward to seeing this bird fly.

How about next Saturday?

let me keep an eye on the weather,they are calling for a lot of rain this week.
I will check and if it looks good, then that would be great.

I will get some blade supports made and do a test of loading it on and off the trailer, a I am sure you would want a bigger area to test it in.

here is a pic of a friends yard taken in the fall,he said we are welcome to test fly it there. we can get some testing done in my yard then load it up and take it to mike's to have more room.
as you can see,his place is not a hover hole like mine,but does have some power lines down 2 sides.
but that still beats the 80 foot trees around my yard..lol

looking forward to this.
thanks for your help getting this bird test flown again.

Attachments

• im006519.jpg
    im006519.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 0
well I will need to book the ticket in advance so lets get moving with this project :)

well I will need to book the ticket in advance so lets get moving with this project :)

Ok just checked the forecast. saturday is going to be thunderstorms, clearing on sunday. a lot of times the thunderstorms blow thru pretty fast so maybe we can do tests between and I don't have a forcast yet for monday ,I will have the Helicopter ready to pull out of the shop in minutes for tests in the yard.

just let me know when you are ready and let me know what time your flight come in. I will get the helicopter ready and waiting. this will be fun.
I will keep you posted on the weather. most the time it is just after noon storms.

I am getting excited.

OK this has to be on the weekend. During the week I obviously have to earn my living just like any other mortal being of our class :) Soooooo. A shower is not something that scares me off by any means. Unless if the blades were made of candy.....

OK this has to be on the weekend. During the week I obviously have to earn my living just like any other mortal being of our class :) Soooooo. A shower is not something that scares me off by any means. Unless if the blades were made of candy.....
Ok sounds like a Plan, I am down in my shop now making blade supports to transport it with. just let me know what time to pick you up from the airport.

will post pics of the Blade supports later tonight on my build thread.

Cool. Make the weather be nice for next Saturday! LOL Order it on Ebay or whatever it takes.....

Gabor- That is mighty nice of you. I am looking forward to seeing this helicopter fly! This will add a lot of value to it in my opinion. Stan

Stan you are "mighty right"! Not only will it add a lot to the value, it will make it much, MUCH more sellable.
Just my opinion, of course!:D

You're a good man Gabor. Hope it all goes well for all.

Leigh I am not really a good man. I only get by. I guess it's my background not to leave the fallen behind....I can't just walk away while someone needs help and I have the capacity to give it..... The good man is the one who had contacted me and insists on paying for my airfare. Have you seen anything like this in your life? How do you top this? Well thank you for the offer my friend!!!! :) You are a real gentleman.:hail:

Tim do you have a sectional for Greensboro? How about radio in the heli? Does it work? Transponder? Are we in class C?