How long before someone puts one of these in a Gyro?!?

Total Flight Time
60 hrs
Ok, see link below!! Fail due to my computer stupid self!

Thought the stats on this were pretty decent...probably give you about a 10 minute flight on the fuel you can carry onboard.

Last edited:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PlXU_E4g9SU&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PlXU_E4g9SU&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Thought the stats on this were pretty decent...probably give you about a 10 minute flight on the fuel you can carry onboard.

Yeah, ... whatever the heck it is! :confused::noidea:

that is basically the same unit as what the Turbine in the helicycle started out as. the solaras (sp) T-62 was from a ground power unit and also used in the CH-47 if I remember right.

there's one on ebay for 2600. Actually makes it almost worth looking at, 'cept that final output RPM of 12000. Have to wind it down a little more, but 150 hp with 100 lbs of weight beats out a volkswagen engine any day

it's a tiernay tt-10 turbine in that critter. Take out the turbine, ditch the generator, convert trailer to haul gyro, put engine plus additional redrive into gyro. Done. Now whomever does this, let me know when you get all the bugs out and flying well, and I'll help ya fly it!!

I would like to put that engine in my helicopter or better yet into a 2 seat Commuter, that would be sweet. wonder what the fuel burn rate is on that puppy.

Wish I had taken a note of where I saw it but the other day saw a guy holding what may be one of the worlds smallest turbines in his hand.

Not a model and will be produced. It looked very like a scaled down aircraft engine. Didn't say what power it produced but I would have guessed probably a bit more than 50HP and was way smaller than a 447/503/532/582. Had some incredibly low part count.

I am racking my brains as to exactly where I saw it but it was at Farnborough Air Show

Yea this is a cool unit.....but the gearbox that is needed to reduce the rpm down to where we need it is a little spendy. It could be done but someone with more $$ than I have will have to take that one up.
But how much does the little unit for the small helicopter cost? I believe Stan Foster is building one. He would be the one to enlighten us all on this matter.

I couldn't find the burn rate anywhere, but I guess I could look in the military technical manuals for the APU. I'll see if I have time when I'm at work.

tiernay tt-10 gas turbine

tiernay tt-10 gas turbine

Fuel consumption is ; 52 PPH (23.6 kg/h) (8 gal /30.3 1) . I have the full operation manual if you like . I also have 5 of the units out of military parts reserve which I believe are 0 hours, crated with plugs and plastic still intact. They are coupled with the gearbox which you correctly called out at 12000 rpm . I have not had time to play with them yet but is shouldn't be too difficult to gear it down to 6000rpm and then run through a snowmobile or golf cart type CVT . I have experience with these CVT's and they are quite robust and dependable. I am also told that you can add injectors to the engine and boost to 300 shp with no weight penalty. The manufaturers of the APU's that these were used in had a habit of calling out lower power spec than actual in order to avoid the need to design a new unit for the application thereby saving time and money by installing the existing (albeit over power) unit . I would probably sell a couple if anybody was interested.

oh, the temptation there, until I remember that I my R&D budget is next to nothing. If someone could come up with a gearbox that would handle one of these without a huge amount of weight though, they'd be a worthwhile endeavor. If you don't mind me asking, I noticed in researching these that some have had troubles adapting the APU turbine without taking gobs of control equipment from the original APU. Anyone found a way through this?

It seems like back about 1999 or 2000 Gary Goldsberry converted a gas turbine and mounted it on a Bensen style frame. As I remember the redrive and Prop governor was a problem and controlling the prop rpm was a problem. got tooooo much toooo fast, and it never got airborne. and the ideal was aborted before someone lost more than a little pride. Maybe someone lurking around knows a litle more about that venture.

You'd be better off mounting that sucker on a trailer and cooking hot dogs over the exhaust, at least that way you could get a return on your investment....
Mmmmm... Broiled over an open turbine.......Yum!

Had a JFS 100 jet on Bob Faileys gyro.:eek: As he went home the straps came off @ 60 mph rolled it up into a ball on the 15 fwy.:rant:

Okay, Mikey - I'm inspired to the next project ... a turbine powered airboat! Can you imagine busting down the St. Johns in that rig? People jumping out of their bass boats to avoid the low flying jet. Awesome! And it could be a testbed for the next gyro. Salivating.