Flying Low

Cayuse

I'm a fixed wing and helicopter pilot, with a long-standing interest in gyros.

One thing I love is flying low. In the interest of safety (and the fact that I'm always flying someone else's aircraft, and they expect me to bring it back in good condition), I usually keep it at a safe altitude. In an airplane, the lowest I feel comfortable cruising is probably around 800 feet. In helicopters, the lowest is probably around 500. (In both cases, I generally fly higher)

I'm curious: in a gyro, is it generally safe to fly at very low altitudes? In my very uneducated opinion (I haven't even flown in one yet), I feel like I'd feel safe at practically any altitude, as long as there was something flat below to land on and I don't have a stiff tailwind. Thoughts?

I'm a fixed wing and helicopter pilot, with a long-standing interest in gyros.

One thing I love is flying low. In the interest of safety (and the fact that I'm always flying someone else's aircraft, and they expect me to bring it back in good condition), I usually keep it at a safe altitude. In an airplane, the lowest I feel comfortable cruising is probably around 800 feet. In helicopters, the lowest is probably around 500. (In both cases, I generally fly higher)

I'm curious: in a gyro, is it generally safe to fly at very low altitudes? In my very uneducated opinion (I haven't even flown in one yet), I feel like I'd feel safe at practically any altitude, as long as there was something flat below to land on and I don't have a stiff tailwind. Thoughts?

Sec. 91.119 — Minimum safe altitudes: General.
Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:
(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.
(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.
(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.
(d) Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft. If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface—
(1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA; and
(2) A powered parachute or weight-shift-control aircraft may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (c) of this section.

Unlike a helicopter a gyroplane fits into the general rule and is limited to b and c.

There is a lot less to do and more time to do it with an engine out in a gyroplane compared to a helicopter.

Wires are just as dangerous in a gyroplane as they are in a helicopter.

For me twenty knots indicated air speed and 100 feet over a runway is a happy place to practice simulated engine out landings .

I live in a rural farming community and I still fly 500 feet above the fields.

The H-V diagram for a gyroplane does not have the low altitude / high speed strip of "avoid" region that is commonly found on helicopter H-V charts. There is no transition time needed to go from powered to autorotative flight, because you're already in that mode in a gyroplane.

Height is good.

Wires and power lines are a re-occurring theme on my Gyro Accident Blog.

Follow roads then consider the roadside wires, low buzz house then consider the domesic wire lines, hot dog river valleys then consider the electricty pylon wires suspended between hillsides.

http://gyroaccidents.blogspot.co.uk/

Height is good. Fly Safe

Safe hight depends on the pilot.
An engine failure at any time in this clip would not have been an issue.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EmFgN1D2D10

Familuarity of the machine makes a big difference.
I can have a failure at 20' while flying down wind and still have ample room to do a quick 180 and land UW.
Leagaly, depends on where you fly.

Birdy,
Would your gyro fly straight and level if you had Near Center Line Thrust & a Horizontal Stabilizer?
I must not be any fun having to chase it all over the sky.

It goes where ever i point it, why would you assume any different?

It goes where ever i point it, why would you assume any different?

I like that Birdy!
Sorry to bring it up but have I told you lately how much I love flying my new gyro....well, nearly new :).

and how much I love that 912

Last edited:
First time iv heard you say it Brian,..... this week. ;)