Need an electric starter for a 582 BH

Capt'n Gator

Aircraft
Dominator Single 582BH N401JC
Total Flight Time
200+
Anyone out there in gyroland (with a generous heart) that could sell me an electric starter for a 582 BH (CHEAP). I'm getting tired of replacing plastic parts in the pull starter and I ain't a young pup no more.:sad:

Buy a RK400 clutch for the gearbox and you won't need a starter... Airtech sells them

Smile

Smile

Buy a RK400 clutch for the gearbox and you won't need a starter... Airtech sells them

The RK clutch is 500 "samoleys!"

Cap'n, my friend bought a used, inoperative 75 HP Johnson outboard boat motor for $25 and the starter was good. It was very similar to a Rotax starter. I'm not sure what he did for the gear ring, but he said it was pretty simple to jury-rig and he uses it to start up now.

I put a clutch on my last 582 and also on my last 618. Made it super easy to start and made it safer by being able to start and the machine didn't want to roll.

Adding electric start adds another 15 to 20 pounds to the machine by the time you add the starter and battery and wiring and switch and voltage regulator and so on. Thats simply too much weight gain! Its not worth it.

You should not be breaking the starter or rope with the clutch. If your breaking parts then either the way your pulling on it is wrong or the part was defective. My old gyro has over 400 hours on it without issue out of the pull starter and my 618 did close to 200 hours on it without issue last time I checked.

I put a clutch on my last 582 and also on my last 618. Made it super easy to start and made it safer by being able to start and the machine didn't want to roll.

Adding electric start adds another 15 to 20 pounds to the machine by the time you add the starter and battery and wiring and switch and voltage regulator and so on. Thats simply too much weight gain! Its not worth it.

You should not be breaking the starter or rope with the clutch. If your breaking parts then either the way your pulling on it is wrong or the part was defective. My old gyro has over 400 hours on it without issue out of the pull starter and my 618 did close to 200 hours on it without issue last time I checked.