I can see clearly now; the rain has gone.

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Staff member
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2600+ in rotorcraft
It rained Thursday and Friday. It was supposed to rain today.

The air smelled fresh and clean and as is often the case the storm trailed gusting winds behind.

I looked out my window and the clean crisp air called to me. I couldn’t see the wind but when I checked ATIS at Santa Maria (SMX) it was 320 degrees at 18kts gusting to 26kts. San Luis Obispo (SBP) was a little worse. I checked Weather Meister and they had a 33% chance of showers. The picture from the national weather service had the lightning bolts through it. Some of the clouds had a dark underbelly. There were two large lots covered with frost just east of us and there had been frost warnings the night before.

I tried to suppress my urge to fly. I couldn’t see the wind and out the front window toward the Santa Maria Valley I couldn’t see the cold.

By noon it was 52 degrees F and the bottom of the clouds had lightened up a little. I had managed to ignore the cold and when I checked; the wind had not subsided.

I put on my thermal underwear and a sweatshirt and found the house a little on the warm side even though I had shut off the heater at 9:00.

I seized a moment of insanity and rushed out the door. The top on the M Roadster was still down.

I felt I had finally fixed my ANR head set on Thursday and wanted to see how it worked. I have been messing with it since July as well as the radio challenge that had cropped up after my annual in July.

The drive to the airport was quick and my ears had only begun to identify that it was cold. Being able to see my breath should have tipped me off. Hank and the heater were blasting.

The Predator was ready to go. I called Lockheed Martin and there was an airmet for turbulence but nothing for fog.

I was shouting “CLEAR PROP!” in less than a half hour.

I had a new costume that was the next size bigger so I could have layers and it worked great. It is a slightly thicker, softer fabric than my tan flight suit. I purchased it at Air Venture and this was my first chance to try it.

I was thrilled with my ANR head set the moment she burst to life. It would seem they have not been working properly for some time or else flying with them not working has had an impact on my hearing. My side tone was strong and the improved performance helped me to locate the radio noise which is coming from my left magneto, the one on the right side of the engine.

The wind socks were straight out and whipping through around 30 degrees as we taxied to runway 30.

There was a row of four T6s parked in front of the hotel. I have no idea what that is about.

Run up went well and I requested a straight out with a slight right.

“Experimental 142 Mike Golf, Straight out with a slight right approved, runway 30 clear for takeoff.”

The wind helped the blades come up quickly and the front tire was soon trying to jump off the runway. I fed in the power and soon saw 1,300 feet per minute climb with 30kts of ground speed. I went right past 800 feet before I could pull the power back. We were soon rocking and rolling our way across the valley catching more lift than sink.

At the Water Tower I called the San Luis Obispo tower inbound 13 miles to the south east with Victor at 1,300 feet. "I would like to come in through the Avilla Pass." I was to report left downwind for runway 29.

After the rocking and rolling escalated I called back and asked for a straight in. It sometimes gets kind of wild in the pass on windy days.

As I breached the Edna Valley I was reminded why I had turned around in the low ceilings. They have some big wires going right across where I was flying.

Two friends of mine were on the radio as I worked my way across the valley and reported four miles.

She gave me a gratuitous wind check as we crossed the numbers; 240 degrees at 22 gusting to 32. I could not find the gusts and it was all I could do to keep from going backward just before touchdown.

“I love this stuff!” I said out loud as I pulled up to restaurant parking. I filled out my log book and my friend and neighbor invited me to join his cousin for lunch just before my friend with the Glass Air made the same invitation. My neighbor was eating on the patio and I was not cold enough to eat inside.

It was his cousin’s first flight in a small plane and he was very excited. I explained that I never tire of this simple flight and as the lunch settled in and the hangar flying continued I think he understood.

My neighbor told a great story about landing a Cessna 172 on the 101.

Thank you, Vance

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 0
Crossing Borders, Language and Culture!

Crossing Borders, Language and Culture!

A Jamaican singer (Jimmy Cliff) singing a Jonny Nash song helps a gyroplane enthusiast in Cyprus understand the feelings that a California gyroplane enthusiast is trying to communicate.

Thank you for coming along Giorgos, in my opinion you fly in one of the most beautiful places on earth.

I feel passion and joy are universal and I am proud to share it with my friends.

After a couple days of rain what was supposed to be one more turned out to be a bright sunshiny day.

I could see clearly that the rain was no longer an obstacle in my way.

I ignored the wind and cold and had a lovely flight.

These pictures are from my Wednesday flight back from SBP and should help you understand what made Saturday’s flight so joyful. The world opened up with blue sky, clarity and aviation joy.

Wednesday’s flight was wonderful but much harder to share.

I worry a little that I write too much about this simple flight that I love so much.

I could not remember all the words; I was singing that song as I flung the hanger door open and got ready to fly; hence the title of the thread.

Thank you, Vance

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 0
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 0
I always wondered what would happen IF???

I always wondered what would happen IF???

I looked out the window this morning and it was even clearer than Saturday.

I checked WeatherMeister and the terminal aerodrome forecasts looked good.

I thought I might fly over to Delano for lunch. It is around an 80 nautical mile flight over some pretty country.

We had a frost warning last night so I tried out my new thermals that were on sale at Big Five. They worked well.

My preflight inspection took around 45 minutes and I called Lockheed Martin. There was an AIRMET for turbulence throughout southern California.

I have made the mistake of checking ATIS and ASOS at my destination only to find that the weather in between was not as nice.

Sunset is at 16:59 at SMX so I didn’t feel too adventurous.

That sort of narrowed it down to SBP again today.

The wind sock at SMX was flaccid as we taxied to 30. Once I heard; “Experimental 142 Mike Golf, runway 30 clear for takeoff!” we climbed out at a steady 1,300 feet per minute in the cool dry air. The rotor was also turning a little slower than usual.

As we made our way across the valley the wind was variable and there was a lot of lift and sink.

I have never had two flights to SBP the same.

The surf was as flat as could be and the ocean was a deep blue. The surfers were on the beach.

I started into the Avilla pass and soon climbed above the turbulence.

The ATIS did not prepare me for what I found. It had winds at 280 degrees at 11kts.

ATC asked for a short approach and I asked for a wind check because I was bobbing around. She had winds at 020 degrees at 14kts gusting to 29kts.

The wind sock was fully erect (15kts) and straight across runway 29 when we were on short final. I did not find the gust spread and the landing went surprisingly well.

We flew down the beach on the way home and when I checked the ATIS for SMX it was variable from 270 to 040 degrees 14kts gusting to 30kts.

I always wondered what would happen if a gust hit us just before touchdown and then disappeared.

We were on our round out approaching 5 feet AGL at 60kts indicated air speed when the gust picked us up to 20 feet and 75kts indicated air speed. Suddenly we were falling showing 30 kts indicated air speed. I had probably overcorrected for the balloon. I advanced the throttle and pointed the nose at the ground. I never saw more than 40kts indicated air speed but it seemed to work out with an aggressive flair at the bottom still with full power. I decided not to practice further and put her away for the night.

I was working on this story when the power went out and my battery started to fade. I checked the breaker to no avail. I packed up and headed for home but the gate was dead. I checked several more exit gates and one was stuck part way open. I didn’t think the M would squeeze through so I got my tape measure and found I had a half inch to spare. It was a slow process for this monocular driver.

I saw the airport manager on the way out and apparently there was one gate still working. There was no power outage in Nipomo and the traffic lights worked fine on the way home.

I love the many facets of the aviation adventure.

Thank you, Vance

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 0
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 0
A Jamaican singer (Jimmy Cliff) singing a Jonny Nash song helps a gyroplane enthusiast in Cyprus understand the feelings that a California gyroplane enthusiast is trying to communicate.

Thank you for coming along Giorgos, in my opinion you fly in one of the most beautiful places on earth.

I feel passion and joy are universal and I am proud to share it with my friends.

Thank you, Vance

Vance ..... when I saw the title of your thread .... " I can see clearly now; the rain has gone" I clicked on it immediately hoping to hear one of my favorite songs from back in the 1960's and 1970's

I am one of those weird guys who remembers everything I did in that era. I did not pursue the recreational drugs that were available at the time .... not as a judgmental thing ... I was just much too busy pursuing my own life interests .... sometimes that can be even worse than recreational drugs. I am talking about nicely painted fast cars and the girls who might find such things attractive.

I often had a van load of girls all to myself ..... I am talking about a 1976 F150 full size Econoline van ..... not one of those puny little vans they sell nowadays. One night I got an official count from The Royal Canadian Mounted Police ..... 14 girls and 6 empty cases of beer bottles were on board.

The whole city had come to a complete stop watching the police unload my cargo. Everybody , including the RCMP kept looking at me kinda worried a bit ..... I think they were afraid if they strip searched me a great big garlic sausage might drop out of my pants or something .

The RCMP Officers checked my van from top to bottom .... no drugs , no open liquor , no impaired driver , no teenagers under the influence. They had to let me go. I am glad they never asked me about the empty beer bottles .... it saved me a lot of embarrassment explaining that I was going to cash them in for gas money.

After all , everybody knows a van burns extra gas when you have 14 girls on board.

I enjoyed your flight report Vance. Nice pictures too .

Giorgos thanks for the music .... it was one of my favorite songs back then ..... I absolutely loved the singer and had dreams about driving her around in my van some day . I liked the unique sound of her feminine voice. Can you imagine my shock when I found out the singer was actually a man named Jimmy Cliff .... I felt like I needed a shower or something. Anyway I recovered and learned to like the song again.

Women and young girls can employ clever strategies when needed. I had circled the block several time trying to pick up the one girl I was in love with. She was very courteous while saying no .... but then she spotted the cases of beer in my van ..... she called all her friends over and said ..... hey !!! .... I found a party guy ..... but when the police revealed the beer cases were empty the girls did not hop back into my van. So I went back to my autobody shop to paint another car hoping that the girl I was in love with could want to ride with me for life.

She still hasn't shown up.

♥♥♥♥

♥♥♥♥

Snooks...
Your Pictures and words...well what can I say but Wow!

I always feel I've been on a flight with you!

The pictures are awesome...your words speak volumes!

You make it really come to life...

There is no place like our central coast we are truly blessed!

I am blessed too because I have you!
♥♥♥Ed♥♥♥

I remember the music!

I remember the music!

You had a much wilder life than I did Arnie.

I was not so focused on the strategy for collecting women.

I did remember the song, it always seemed very upbeat to me.

I agree Chris, Arnie has a great writing style.

Thank you Ed, I think you would have been very cold.

Thank you, Vance

Windy and Gusty

Windy and Gusty

I read your intitial post and thought......no way too windy.

My instructor has placed my limits and less than 12 and NO GUSTS!!!

Of course I am a baby still wet behind the ears but these winds are not even close.

Would you mind putting your intial call to the tower in your posts. I am getting better at this and reading yours puts me right in the PIC seat at Hayward and I picture in my minds eye what the process would be for departure at my airfield. I know that its not quite the same but I can imagine what the departure azimuth would be and what the terrain would look like.

I may have the opportunity to fly a new helicopter on a ferry flight. The school has on ship that is about to reach TBO. I am hoping I will get the chance to do the ferry flight back to KHWD. If so it looks like this will be my chance to start my cross country training and work from a different airport back to my home base!!! I can only imagine the work that will be involved with that!!!

Thanks everybody for the compliments on my writing style.

They are not natural born talents that I possess.

I confess I have learned a lot of them from Vance

There are very few people on the face of this earth that my stubborn mind allows me to be mentored by.

Vance Breese Jr. is one of them.

If he knew the influence he has had on me he might be surprised.

My opinion about radio calls.

My opinion about radio calls.

I read your intitial post and thought......no way too windy.

My instructor has placed my limits and less than 12 and NO GUSTS!!!

Of course I am a baby still wet behind the ears but these winds are not even close.

Would you mind putting your intial call to the tower in your posts. I am getting better at this and reading yours puts me right in the PIC seat at Hayward and I picture in my minds eye what the process would be for departure at my airfield. I know that its not quite the same but I can imagine what the departure azimuth would be and what the terrain would look like.

Hello Jeb,

I am following along on your adventure with great interest.

I was ready to solo a Robinson 44 when I discovered that a half blind person with a traumatic brain injury could not get a medical. This put my flying fantasies on hold for two years and was part of how I came to love gyroplanes.

A helicopter may receive different instructions or departure from a taxiway. I will simply describe what goes on with The Predator. You would say “Helicopter November 1234” instead of Experimental Gyroplane.

The initial call is simple enough if you get all the pieces in. Different class Delta airports may have different protocol so it always helps to listen first. If you leave something out ground will simply ask. I do this during my initial start up. Once the engine is running I turn on the alternator, set the transponder to standby and tune the radio to ATIS. I have a start up list that I go through.

An example of a different local protocol is Camarillo. Ground wants to know you direction of flight and you contact them again when your run up is complete. Most class D towers want to know you direction of flight when you are ready for departure.

I call ground and say; who I imagine I am talking to, who I am, what I am flying, the current weather and what I would like to do. “Santa Maria Ground, Experimental Gyroplane 142 Mike Golf at Alpha 9 with information Charlie, Taxi to runway 30.” Initial contact with ground is also a good time to ask for flight following.

There has been a recent change in the initial communication; if you are going to cross runways they must give you the instructions one at a time. Any hold short instruction must be repeated complete with call sign. At Santa Maria the response is simply “Experimental 142 Mike Golf taxi to runway 30 via taxiway Alpha.”

Ground wants to know that I got the message so I read back; “Experimental Gyroplane 142 Mike Golf, runway 30; taxi via Alpha.” Some airports will in include gyroplane, SMX usually doesn’t. I include it so people know what they are looking for. If there is a traffic conflict ground will tell the other aircraft to “yield to the gyroplane established on taxiway Alpha.”

Once I have arrived at the run-up area I turn to face the wind and complete my run-up, switch the transponder to mode C and tune in the tower frequency. At this time I usually put the next frequency I will need into the flip flop. I pull forward to the hold short line and call the tower.

They already know I have the current ATIS but they may be managing inbound traffic and will want to manage outbound traffic after my departure so they want to know how I will leave the pattern and what direction I will be going while inside their airspace. “Experimental Gyroplane 142 Mike Golf, holding short runway 30, ready for departure, request left downwind to the East Southeast.”

Assuming that works out for them they will say; “Experimental 142 Mike Golf, left downwind approved runway 30 clear for take off!” They might also say; “Experimental 142 Mike Golf, fly runway heading, I will call your crosswind, runway 30 clear for takeoff.” This would be because they have another aircraft coming in left traffic and they want to resolve the conflict.

Before I cross the hold short line I repeat the instructions; “Experimental Gyroplane 142 Mike Golf, runway 30 clear for takeoff, left downwind departure approved.”
Sometimes I have a need to change frequencies before I leave their airspace if my destination is nearby.

I would say “Experimental Gyroplane 142 Mike Golf, request frequency change.” They would respond; “Experimental gyroplane 142 Mike Golf, frequency change approved.” Once I have left their airspace they expect I will be changing frequencies.

If this seems confusing initial contact is worse. I get the ATIS and then call the tower. In very busy airspace they may prefer simply; “Santa Maria Tower, Experimental Gyroplane 142 Mike Golf.” This is so they can get my call sign and continue what they were doing. Remember they may be working more than one frequency or position. They will come back with; “Santa Maria Tower, experimental 142 Mike Golf, what is your request.” I listen for a while before I talk so I can find the protocol.

At SMX they are more informal so I would say; “Santa Maria Tower, Experimental Gyroplane 142 Mike Golf with information Charlie, 10 miles to the North West at 1,300 feet, inbound to land.” This would be the information I would give the busy tower on my second call. By giving my altitude they may be able to identify the mode C dot on their screen and not need to assign me a transponder code. If they are not sure they will add “ident” to their next communication. That means to push the ident key that makes your transponder light up on their radar screen. If they are comfortable with who and where you are they will say: “Experimental 142 Mike Golf, make right traffic for runway 30, report abeam the tower.” Most towers will want you to report three to five miles out or over a particular landmark. Don’t be afraid to say “unfamiliar” if you don’t know where the landmark is.

Remember in this situation I am headed South East. I have found it easy to get confused on this. A vertical card compass or a directional gyro makes this a lot easier than a whisky compass.

If you say student pilot the tower will cut you some slack, slow down a little and watch your back more carefully.

If they ask you to do something stupid don’t be afraid to say unable. At Santa Barbara they want to send me out over the water and in my opinion my glide ratio prohibits me from being more than a quarter mile off shore at 1,000 feet. I always refuse the clearance. They have also cleared me to land directly a regional jet and I refuse that clearance. The tower may ask you to hover and wait for something to clear. I would recommend you say “unable”. There are very few helicopter pilots in the tower but they have all seen them on TV.

All of this is in the AIM part of your FAR/AIM. Be sure you have the latest version because there have been some changes.

Class C adds some additional layers with Approach, Departure and Clearance Delivery.

You will have some very complex air space if you fly to Torrance. I would recommend getting a terminal area chart in addition to your Sectional. They also have a special Helicopter with some very useful features. Make sure they are current. Your facilities guide should also be up to date.

If I remember right the helicopter clearance past LAX is 150 feet or below down the beach past the end of the runway.

If you use VFR flight following they will help you on your way if they are not too busy starting with Oakland Center. You may be too low.

I hope this helps Jeb. Good luck on your Helicopter adventure.

Thank you, Vance

Thank you for the kind words Arnie!

Thank you for the kind words Arnie!

I would love to be a part of you discovering the joys of writing.

In my opinion your writing style is unique and has a humor and humility that I would love to find.

My father had his middle name legally changed to “None” and gave me the middle name of Edward so I would not have to be junior.

Thank you, Vance