Rotary Wing Forum  

Go Back   Rotary Wing Forum > Rotorcraft > Training

Old 01-12-2017, 01:49 PM
Vance Breese CFI

Send a message via AIM to Vance Send a message via Yahoo to Vance
Default That is a great accident report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyroGyro View Post
It seems the pilot may have reduced power to land, while simultaneously taking his hand off the column, to fiddle with the door once more.

Unbeknown to him, this would induce a left roll, and he was too low to recover.
https://assets.publishing.service.go...CGTI_10-11.pdf
I have not yet flown an M24 Magni and I am glad to have that knowledge about the doors and the roll from the report.

I can see where a door opening would be a more pressing inflight event in the Magni compared to the Cavalon.

Based on the report I feel I would have landed straight ahead as soon as the door was open.

Baring being to abort the takeoff I would have sacrificed the door and flown slower.

The high speed on downwind seems odd.

I canít imagine how the CFI and the student must have felt having just flown the aircraft.

In the air is not the best time to find out that you canít shut the door with one hand and that the mechanism interferes with the throttle.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

Any time anything unexpected happens in flight it can be a distraction, I have experienced this a few times , my most interesting one was on a fully enclosed machine that on a very cold morning for no apparent reason the plexiglass windshield just disintegrated as soon as I levelled of and reached cruising speed, this caused both doors to blow out and go through the prop and rotor, this may have been caused by the -40 temp combined with the defroster on full hot, it took me a few seconds to get m head on straight to handle the situation , a vertical decent to about one hundred feet then power and nose over and flare, a decent with forward speed was not an option , I would have frozen without the windshield. I was lucky as about a week before this I replaced the wood rotor with a metal one , I'm not sure the wood would have done well with the door going into it.
I had the windshield blow down and off to one side on my Dom first after I got it flying , I reduced speed and pushed it back up , I actually have that one on video, I should put it on YouTube.
Norm.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: