New friend - or enemy?

Jens

GyroNew & Paraglider
Aircraft
Paraglider and PPG
Total Flight Time
Some hundreds
Sunday we where out flying together with a quadro heli drone with a go-pro camera on it.
This time it only lasted some minutes due to a mechanical problem.
Do you have any experience, or what do you think about flying together with such a contraption? A friend - or an enemy?

Later he will have 'glasses' so he will 'look' from the drone while controlling it. Then he is a sort of new flying buddy...

Attachments

• CIMG2081-800.jpg
    CIMG2081-800.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 0
  • CIMG2077-693.jpg
    CIMG2077-693.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 0
  • CIMG2078-691.jpg
    CIMG2078-691.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 0
Hello Jens,

I'm looking for a such a system for filming with a GoPro but only seen models at around $7K and up, way to much just for trying some interesting shots.

How much did you pay for the quadro help in your pictures?

Maher

Im jealous over your vans! I wish we could buy something like that in the USA. What is the one in the front powered by and what kind of miles per gallon?

The vans are Mercedes Sprinters. Sold by Mercedes as dodge is no longer involved. The engines are turbo charged V6 diesel engine. And everyone that I have talked to says that it gets about 28 miles per gal. I'm planning to buy the Crew Van model. The small one is still bigger than my full sized ford E350

Jens .... are you thinking of having it fly along side of you ? Have you considered it could hit you or get in the chute ? That would be unfriendly. I sure would like to have a camera equipped drone like that. Cool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Transporter_(T4)

My car is a VW T4. (5 cyl. diesel 102 hp, 12 km/l.)
VW van's started 50 years ago beside being a van also being a 'hollyday' car - all with rear engines.
20 years ago the VW T4 came with engine in front, and became soon a very popular 'hobby' car. This T4 made it usual to use a van as yor only or primary car - it drives very well.
Today The VW T4 is very much in use as a family car. Funny because bascically is and was a van.
It's outside dimensions was consider quite huge once. Today many cars are bigger than my T4 - outside but NOT inside!
t4_003.jpg
t4_058.jpg

t4_044.jpg
t4_019.jpg

.... are you thinking of having it fly along side of you?...
Yes. He can easily go the speed of a paraglider.
And yes, I am a bit worried about being in the same space as him. But there are also risks at having another pilot along side.

He mentioned, if he loses raidio contakt the drone would fly back to the gps position where it started - 1m above ground.
Very well, BUT it will take home in a strait line, and if I am on that line we will collide - not much likely, but still scaring - I think.

But first we will have the fun of getting some good pictures and video of the take off of our PPG's. I will post a link to youtube when and if he upload a video. A fascinating thing such a quadro heli.