Starting my rebuild

PRuffin

Gold Member
Here are photos of my new 618. Can't wait to get this thing going.

Although it's not pictured here the starter had to be rotated 90 degrees to keep from hitting the mast.

To do this I had to grind out a small area so it would fit. Has anyone else had this problem too. Seems to me the only way to make it work.

If you look closely you can see some of my art hanging on the wall.
Sorry, I'm Tooting my own horn. ;D

Attachments

• 618.jpg
    618.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 2
Re:Starting my rebuild

Hey phil, you must have one of the last 618's ! Didn't they discontinue that unreliable piece of crap? LOL

Seriously though, when it came out ,I wanted one. I mean who didn't? Everyone wants more power. I think it sucks they dropped it. I hope it gives you 10,000 trouble -free hours of ass kicking fun!

Did you do some time with Steve M.? Keep on truckin!

Chris, I was getting ready to but a 582 when this engine came up on e-bay. I got it for half of the price of the 582. Although at the time I didn't know it had been discontinued. It was never used and still in the original box, it also came with the two carbs, and a starter.

Went do to see Steve last weekend to get some brake ideas for my gyro, didn't get a chance to fly. He had a small crowd down there waiting in line.
So I just took a few photos and hung out for an hour or 2.

So do you think it would be possible to make a couple bucks with a 2 seater? You know, just enough money to keep the gas tank full.

Brake ideas? What kind of wheels are you using?

Plastic Azussa's or something else? My new Hegar wheels & brakes are simple & strong but I think about$500.

Chris, Not sure what your asking in the first paragraph about making a couple of bucks with a 2 seater.

I have the plastic wheels. I really only need brakes to sit still, I won't be turning with them. I was going to put some drum type brakes on it but thought I could get by an eaiser way.

I am putting a bicycle tire on the front because I don't like the looks of the small tire thats on it now. I thought since the brakes are to just hold me still I would put a bicycle tire type brake on it.

Do you think this would work?

Phil,
What kind of Air Command do you have? Are you upgrading it to CLT? I am finishing my conversion soon. Obviously, I spent more money on it than I intended to but I will have a nice machine.
Udi-

Phil,
What I meant was, do you think Steve is making any money at training (having fun)?

Don't you like the stock AC brakes with the thin stainless steel rotors? I have an extra set of those, I might sell cheap if you are interested.

Udi, how about a picture of you with your gyrocopter?
That goes for everyone, it sure is nice to put a face with a name.

Hey Chris, I might be interested in those brakes. How much ya gonna let me steal them from you. Key word in that sentence is STEAL. One of the reasons I was putting on the bike brake is money is tight right now.

Steve seems to keep busy as long as the weather holds out for him.
I know he is looking forward to going full time teaching, and a mighty fine teacher he is. He is just riding out his sentence as the elf factory right now. I hope the money really comes in for him, he's a fine fella...

Udi, I am attaching some before and after photos of my gyro. I put the CLT kit on it after Bensen Days last year and had it ready to fly for ROC, but then my grandson wanted to come into world early so I didn't get to attend. Didn't want to miss his birth, Priorities you know.

For instruments I have CHTs, EGTs, Airspeed, Altitude, Rotor rpm, Motor rpm.

This first photo is before I started the upgrade.

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 1

Here is the dash as it is now, before it's all over this will probably be redesigned also. I still have to tuck away the wires and add the trim pc. to the sides.

Attachments

• panel.jpg
    panel.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1

Chris, here's an extra photo for you. On a business trip to Arizona, when we were finished, a couple of my working buds and I rented some Harleys and went to the Grand Canyon camping for a few days before we flew home. Man it was Great......

Attachments

• bike-1.jpg
    bike-1.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 1

Now that's a business trip!!!!!!!!

Man the gyro looks great! That should really cook with a 618.
I agree the front wheel looks too small. They should come up with a nice replacement. Brakes up front might be interesting.
The brakes I have are the same ones I have on my 447. They don't hold you back for long. I accidentally got an extra set & kept them for spare parts. Let me check to see if I have everything today. Should be: Master cylinder w/ pedal, 2 rotors, 2 calipers, 2 wheel adapters ,& hardware. Let me check & we will talk!

Just came in from the shop. I got the new motor mounted and the redrive installed tonight. Now I looking for a radiator, and trying to figure out how I am going to mount the exhaust.

Chuck Irby, don't you have a 618 on your gyro. If you do could you post a photo of your exhaust mounting setup.

If any one has a 618 I would appreciate a photo.

Thanks, Phil

Phil, Yes I do have a 618 and I will get you a photo a s a I get back to the airport. It's raining here today and probably tomorrow too. I'll get it no later than Monday though.

Chuck, what and where did you get your radiator. Did you get one from a junk yard or buy one new? Doug at Air Command said he would send me one for a hundred bucks plus shipping but I think I can get one that would work from a salvage yard. Just not sure about the size.

Thats what you get, Chuck, for braggin about that good weather you guys always get!

I suppose you're right Ron,

However, I just tell it like it is. We have had some really good flying weather lately though, so it's okay if we get a little rain. It's supposed to be up to 70 Monday and no rain.

Phil, I got a radiator from a junk yard out of a VW. I think it was a Rabbit and I believe it was 50 bucks. It already had some smooth holes in it that I tapped to 1/4 standard threads for mounting purposes. Let me know what all you want pictures of. I just happened to have a pic of the rad.

Attachments

• Radiator.JPG.JPG
    Radiator.JPG.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 1

Phil,

Rather than tie up more space here on the forum, I am sending the photos of the 618 muffler mounts to you via email. Let me know if this is not adequate.

Chuck, Good deal. I got your email. No big hurry, sorry your having trouble with getting attachments to work. Phil