overhaed vs a conventional stick waight

On friday, our company have arranged Team Building on an old steam driven boat running on wood - MUCH funnier than a modern ship :D

I wonder how much fun the stokers of wood and coal fired ships had compared to more modern ships.................................

Attachments

• h45753.jpg
    h45753.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 0
HI Jens

That's amazing, put a horizontal stabilizer on that 1981 machine and you would have a very modern day gyro with that body style !!!! Bensen used a straight inverted "T" , for a more comdortable arrangement it should be more like a inverted "Y".

Tony

Due to the wonders of binocular vision, the overhead stick is almost invisible to the pilot.
Unless your eyes are VERY close together.

Last edited:
… an old steam driven boat running on wood - MUCH funnier than a modern ship :D
My point is that the older, more simple and original can be more interesting and can give more fun.

The fact is that most gyro pilots want the experience of being able to control their aircraft like an airplane and that means a control stick, not with some funky bar hanging in front of their face. Marketing demanded it from Bensen, Brock and other manufacturers despite the simplistic nature of the the overhead stick and if you ask others which is the most fun, "Long live the crotch rod".

I understand the desire for a overhead control stick. Reminds me of the weight shift trikes.

Alen
i want a true ultalight and i need to loose about 10 lbs. any where i can shed a pound it a pound closer. My desire to fly out weighs my desire to fly like every one else/

Last edited:
The fact is that most gyro pilots want the experience of being able to control their aircraft like an airplane and that means a control stick, not with some funky bar hanging in front of their face. Marketing demanded it from Bensen, Brock and other manufacturers despite the simplistic nature of the the overhead stick and if you ask others which is the most fun, "Long live the crotch rod".

Alan, all this is true. I have flown both with equal ease, but with the overhead stick, folks did look at me kinda funny! :twitch:

John, to make honest ultralight weight one has to get down-right fanatical about even ounces! It's amazing how they add up! It's particularly difficult when one is trying to budget enough weight savings to allow for a light pre-spinner. When you pass "a certain age" even a wimpy prerotator is better than none. :eek:

The Pitcairn AC-35 roadable, jump takeoff Autogiro had an overhead stick complete with twist grip throttle.

However, the stick had a reversing mechanism to produce conventional movement.

Attachments

• AC 35.jpg
    AC 35.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 1
Alan
i want a true ultalight and i need to loose about 10 lbs. any where i can shed a pound it a pound closer. My desire to fly out my desire to fly like every one else/

An overhead stick is fine and should be considered if your trying to achieve a desired goal, weight reduction being one, because aircraft design is a trade-off among many things.